U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:11 PM

17,804 posts, read 22,016,916 times

Advertisements

Air Rage many people are moving to states like NC, SC, and TN over FL.

For one thing they are prettier states and are good for retired people as those with young families.

Asking about property taxes and homeowners insurance is very valid. Many move here from the north take a salary cut and end up further behind because the cost of living is not that much more cost effective.

As one poster said that is what they are paying in CT. But for the most part the salaries don't match.

People also need to realize while you don't have the heating bills of the northeast, running the air conditioning is expensive. Many are shocked to find out there electric bill is $300 a month because you need the air on 9 months out of the year.

We have lived in different states including CA and I find the supermarkets here to very pricey. Publix for example doesn't have a discount card like many chains and very rarely has good buys. I am not a coupon person but they don't know what a double coupon is either.

When salaries are lower but the expenses are about the same many here end up struggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 9,626 times
I'm surprised there's no equivalent of Prop 13 (or Prop 2-1/2) in Florida, with all the retirees looking to live cheaply. Maybe there's a worry that a restriction on property taxes will lead to a state income tax??

Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 9,626 times
And no Trader Joe's!! That's a money saver too.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 PM

20 posts, read 78,990 times
Default You pay for what you get

I've lived here 15 yrs & raised 3 children.
Yes, the property taxes have gone up, so has the infrastructure (there were mostly pods schools 15yrs ago) new buildings, new hospitals, new access roads, etc.

BUT.. there is no State Income Tax!

Also, due to exemptions, many pay reduced or no property tax. Renters & others don't always pay the same either.

After 15 yrs, I can see & drive where my money is going.

That said, I have NO defense for the Homeowner's Insurance, esp the Hurricane part.. it's unsubstantiated.

Last edited by sillygal2me; 05-28-2009 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 PM

515 posts, read 1,078,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
We have lived in different states including CA and I find the supermarkets here to very pricey. Publix for example doesn't have a discount card like many chains and very rarely has good buys.
Supermarket discount cards almost always end up costing more instead of saving money over the long run.

Supermarket "club" cards - Do they really save us money?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 AM

56,402 posts, read 44,813,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal2me View Post
I've lived here 15 yrs & raised 3 children.
Yes, the property taxes have gone up, so has the infrastructure (there were mostly pods schools 15yrs ago) new buildings, new hospitals, new access roads, etc.

BUT.. there is no State Income Tax!

Also, due to exemptions, many pay reduced or no property tax. Renters & others don't always pay the same either.

After 15 yrs, I can see & drive where my money is going.

That said, I have NO defense for the Homeowner's Insurance, esp the Hurricane part.. it's unsubstantiated.
Unsubstantiated? You see where Citizens (government owned and operated) has admitted thier rates are inadequate and will be raising them about 44% over the next 4-5 years?

Go pull up pictures of Hurricane Andrew and then the batch that rolled through 2-3 years ago if you want to see where your money is going (or went).

Old 06-05-2009, 11:50 PM

975 posts, read 1,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
Taxes are very predictable, you can jsut look at the appraisers web site. Most have calculators there so you can calculate your estimated taxes. Insurance is another story. A lot of insurers will not insure homeowners on the water. Unfortunately, this is just a fact of life. Call around for quotes before you buy anything. You're likely to find that insurance and taxes more than double your mortgage payment. And just think, if you pay the house totally off, you will still have a pretty hefty monthly payment.

As for a comparison of Tampa expenses: My 3900 sq ft, taxable value 360k in Tampa runs me about $8600 a year for Taxes and another 2k for insurance. Total Cost almost 11k. I got transferred to Denver Colorado and I now have a 6100sq ft house, taxable value 550k and my taxes are $2900 and insurance runs me $700 per year. Total cost $3600. Even with state income tax, it much cheaper.

Nav
It's even worse in across the bridge in Clearwater I guess. I'm near Palm Harbor, 2700 sq/ft house. Taxes are $5500 and Ins is $4500 for 10K total. And I'm in a non-flood zone! Thats nuts if you ask me.

When I lived in Illinois I paid $4500 taxes on a 175K house but the house was 3400sq/ft on 1 acre vs my current postage stamp sized yard. Ins was $1700 yr. Not only that, but I paid $170/mo for gas/electric vs the $400-$500/mo I pay for electric in Florida.

Car insurance is higher in Florida also. I'm not sure where the idea came from that Florida is a cheap place to live but it's not. Especially when it comes to housing.

Here's another example. My sister in Illinois rents a 3000 sq/ft house on a double lot in a fantastic neighborhood for $1250/mo. Down here unless you want to live in the ghetto $1250 gets you a 1000 sq/ft 1 bedroom condo.

I'm not saying Florida is a bad place to live, but you better make 6 figures or you ain't going to be living anything remotely close to the Florida liyestyle that draws people here.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 AM

56,402 posts, read 44,813,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
It's even worse in across the bridge in Clearwater I guess. I'm near Palm Harbor, 2700 sq/ft house. Taxes are $5500 and Ins is $4500 for 10K total. And I'm in a non-flood zone! Thats nuts if you ask me.

When I lived in Illinois I paid $4500 taxes on a 175K house but the house was 3400sq/ft on 1 acre vs my current postage stamp sized yard. Ins was $1700 yr. Not only that, but I paid $170/mo for gas/electric vs the $400-$500/mo I pay for electric in Florida.

Car insurance is higher in Florida also. I'm not sure where the idea came from that Florida is a cheap place to live but it's not. Especially when it comes to housing.

Here's another example. My sister in Illinois rents a 3000 sq/ft house on a double lot in a fantastic neighborhood for $1250/mo. Down here unless you want to live in the ghetto $1250 gets you a 1000 sq/ft 1 bedroom condo.

I'm not saying Florida is a bad place to live, but you better make 6 figures or you ain't going to be living anything remotely close to the Florida liyestyle that draws people here.
Good post.

One way of looking at the homeowners insurance you are buying is that they are collecting enough money to probably completely replace your house and contents about once every 75 years or so. (simplistic view since it's not always a complete loss.)

In most states that means a fire. Some other states you start getting additional risks like Tornado and then of course hurricane. (Ironically, Florida is a bad state for Tornado's also, certainly worse than IL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or