Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:05 PM

14 posts, read 227,113 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Tampa area. Can anyone give me ideas on Property Taxes and Homeowner insurance costs for areas that have really good school systems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 05:40 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
If you go to the property appraisers website, for example Pasco County Property Appraiser - Disclaimer and you type in Seven Oaks where it says: sub name., you can get all kinds of info from streets within the Seven oaks community and see how much people are paying and see how much sqft. etc. This is Pasco County just a little North of Tampa and we pay less property taxes than Hillsborough County (Tampa). 3 new malls are build right now so that will bring jobs, etc to this area.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:43 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
My guess is that anywhere in Florida the homeowners insurance will be astronomical, property taxes are pretty high, into the thousands. Don't get stuck with a HOA...

Old 03-01-2008, 05:59 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,979 times
Be prepared, property taxes often near or exceed 5 digits and home owner's insurance is costly, but I have found if you call around you can get better deals. Also, don't forget about flood insurance, if you plan on living is such a zone.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:47 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
My guess is that anywhere in Florida the homeowners insurance will be astronomical, property taxes are pretty high, into the thousands. Don't get stuck with a HOA...
Most communities in Wesley Chapel have a HOA and to me it is 70% good and 30% annoying. But it is good because some people just won't maintain their properties and need some one to wake them up and have them take care off things so other people can keep living in a nice community.
The annoying 30% can be so anooying that you forget about the good 70%. I have to say that Seven Oaks, The Bay at Cypress Creek, New River, Meadow Point are pretty good. Corey Lakes Isles had a very negative article in the news paper about home owners complaining, but I have no experience over there so it is just what was in the newspaper.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:58 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Most communities in Wesley Chapel have a HOA and to me it is 70% good and 30% annoying. But it is good because some people just won't maintain their properties and need some one to wake them up and have them take care off things so other people can keep living in a nice community.
The annoying 30% can be so anooying that you forget about the good 70%. I have to say that Seven Oaks, The Bay at Cypress Creek, New River, Meadow Point are pretty good. Corey Lakes Isles had a very negative article in the news paper about home owners complaining, but I have no experience over there so it is just what was in the newspaper.
Personally, I find it sad that people should have to pay for other people to keep up there stuff.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Nothing wrong with HOA, as long as each penny is accounted for and spent wisely. Swimming pools, fitness centers, and common area landscaping needs to be maintained. These are things that make the community immaculate - and keep your property value.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:47 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,939 times
Considering a move to Florida....or anywhere else....the first thing you should do is visit the area and then RENT before you buy.....you might find that the area you selected does not suit you....if you are renting...just pick up and go...but if you buy first....it becomes a little harder.....my research into taxes have revealed that your property taxes are based on the purchase price of your home...throughtout Florida....so if you spend $300,000 on a home....your taxes will start out at $7,200 a year without the homestead exemption....or 2.4% of the purchase price...I have heard that this formula has changed.....but I have not found it in print anywhere....but the best way is to contact the local county property tax office and ask them....insurance is another problem...for they have rated all the areas...and the closer to the water...the more you are going to pay....my friend has a place in Cape Corel...on a canal....and he is now paying $12,000 a year.....yes...a $1,000 a month for his home....roughly 2,500 square foot home....of course a visit to a local insurance agent will determine the rough price of home owners/flood/hurricane insurance on a home you might be interested in....and then you might price vehicle insurance at the same time....when you add it all up....Florida is becoming a little more expensive place to retire tooooooooooooooo.....

Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Very well stated. Disappointing that the many of us are getting priced out of the state- or we'll have to rent small apartment to keep from paying for all of the above. I'll likely follow your advice and rent for 1/2 yr before even considering buying.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:44 PM

15 posts, read 48,464 times
Extremely expensive! I have a house that I bought in 2005 . Nothing fancy. 175,000 for 1500 sq ft. My taxes are 2700.00 and my insurance is 2600.00. I am currently getting ready to move to SC due to a new job but I am so happy about it because I can get a 2800 sq ft home with 2 car garage 4 bedrooms and 3 baths for that price and the taxes and insurance will be half. I can't wait to move out of the state. It is so screwed up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay