Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:16 AM

18 posts, read 42,391 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was just curious if anyone had any information about Plant City? We are looking at a possible rental home in the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 06:32 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Plant City is a very inclusive town, that is, very tightly knit. The first thing people will ask you is what church you attend.

If you're not a local, you're an outsider, and will be treated as such. Most of the residents are related to or descended from local farmers, and they are all closely interrelated. There are certain families in the community that are more or less "royalty" for lack of a better description. There is a definite social pecking order.

I don't say this as a criticism as I used to work there, but it is what it is. I was always treated well by the locals, but it was often made clear in subtle ways that I wasn't one of "them".

RM

Old 01-14-2017, 09:53 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,874 times
The above poster is correct.
Honestly, I've always felt Plant City should have been a part of Polk county since the mentality is similar.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:36 PM

18 posts, read 42,391 times
Ok - thanks for the information.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
[URL]//www.city-data.com/city/Plant-City-Florida.html[/URL]

Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,692,815 times
Are the Straberry Fields ready yet ?

Old 01-22-2019, 01:59 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
The above poster is correct.
Honestly, I've always felt Plant City should have been a part of Polk county since the mentality is similar.
Well, I moved here to PC 8 years ago and NO ONE has ever asked me where I go to church. Just because you had one incident in your life or heard if from someone doesn't make it a trend or true.

shhhhhh!......I hope to hell people don't move here to this hidden little jewel of a city. I don't want it to get crowded or obtain all the issues all the other mega towns in the area have.

If you want the truth about PC, PM me. There are narrow minded people on this board who don't know what they are talking about.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:04 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
Because nothing says "screw they neighbor" like a Plant City farmer fobbing off his illegal labor (and their families) on the taxpayer and draining the wells dry in the community because strawberries.

"B-b-but, we're having Trace Adkins at the festival!"

Old 01-22-2019, 03:47 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Because nothing says "screw they neighbor" like a Plant City farmer fobbing off his illegal labor (and their families) on the taxpayer and draining the wells dry in the community because strawberries.

"B-b-but, we're having Trace Adkins at the festival!"
Dang, if I could rep you 10 times I would!

I worked there for a number of years, and my experience was pretty consistent with anyone I knew who was a local.

Part of that time I taught at a high school that served the area. One of the classes I taught was an FCAT remediation class, that is, if you failed the reading comprehension part of the FCAT you were automatically enrolled in the class and would continue to be until you passed the FCAT or got a waiver.

I had a student who was disruptive and uncooperative, often causing the lessons to go off the rails. I finally called the parents one day, who I knew were well placed third generation strawberry farmers in the area. When I explained the issue with their child they pretty much gave me a pat on the head and a cookie and sent me on my way.

I expressed my frustration to an AP later that day. They said, "Well, since the student is a legacy to a well to do local strawberry farmer, they're not going to college, they'll just go to work for mom and dad on the farm until their parents die, then they'll inherit the farm and hopefully keep it going. You're wasting your time appealing to the parents, as they simply don't care. They're just waiting until the child graduates and then they'll take them into the family business. There they won't be accountable to anyone."

More Plant City farming royalty. Probably some inbreeding there, too.

RM

Old 01-22-2019, 04:25 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Are the Straberry Fields ready yet ?
They are ready to be picked rick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: