U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 AM

3,088 posts, read 7,937,212 times

Advertisements

I mean if they consider st.pete and clearwater to be apart of the area then can someone explain why there is no ferry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,769,634 times
Its in the talks....things take a long time to develop in the area, I remember talks from 1996 that stated that a Ferry Service was to be operational from the Tampa Convention Center downtown Tampa to St. Pete Pier in downtown St. Pete...it never happened.

It would also need ridership...I think it would mostly be used by tourists and conventineers to the areas so they can explore the Bay and two downtown cities amenities..evenutally as downtown Tampa grows with residents, and St. pete continues its residential development downtown, it may be reality.

Here is the latest from a few months ago:
County Sees Ferry Service In Our Future

Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,899,535 times
I think someone tried that many years ago, although private and it didn't work out, but then they weren't around very long. Of course, I might be mistaken, Tony might remember..

Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,238,154 times
When I worked in downtown Tampa and lived in downtown St. Pete I wrote the downtown tampa group about this. Never got a response - but it would be amazing to have a commuter ferry between say Harbor Island and downtown St. Pete, maybe just south of Whitted Airport. Everyone I talked to with a similar commute said they would use it, and a coworker who commuted from Bradenton was desperate for it. there would be a built-in ridership now that traffic is such a problem.

The only issue I can forsee is the weather - in the summer those thunderstorms often happen right at afternoon rush hour and maybe a ferry couldn't run? Still, the ones they use in NYC/NJ have space inside and are pretty large. I don't know anything about weather and boat safety.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:17 AM

3,088 posts, read 7,937,212 times
I looked it up there use to be a ferry but the transportation department took it away in the 1930s because of they felt the bridge was better

Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
Please help me to get Rays Fans from Tampa, Lakeland, even Orlando to Tropicana Field to see Rays home games. Park at the Port of Tampa, leave car and take the 45 min. trip to the Pier...then trolley, bus service to the Dome...saving fuel, time, and a truly MLB Fan experience next to none!! David Sileck Tampa Bay Rays Fan Host. 5/6/2012.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:24 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,422,473 times
No ferry because we have these things called BRIDGES... this isnt the 1800's.

The last ferry in the area went out in the 1950's when the skyway bridge was built

Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,051,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray D. Ader View Post
Park at the Port of Tampa, leave car and take the 45 min. trip to the Pier...then trolley, bus service to the Dome...saving fuel, time, and a truly MLB Fan experience next to none!!
That's quite a laborious process you outlined. Sounds like no fun.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,817,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray D. Ader View Post
Please help me to get Rays Fans from Tampa, Lakeland, even Orlando to Tropicana Field to see Rays home games. Park at the Port of Tampa, leave car and take the 45 min. trip to the Pier...then trolley, bus service to the Dome...saving fuel, time, and a truly MLB Fan experience next to none!! David Sileck Tampa Bay Rays Fan Host. 5/6/2012.
That really isn't going to save you any time at all...or money.

If you are at the Port, you mind as well just drive the rest of the distance. We live just a little closer (a tad north of Gandy), but it only takes us 25-30 minutes to get to the stadium and park. Done.

45 minute trip from Port of Tampa to St. Pete Pier...10 minute bus ride to stadium. Add in waiting time, and you are talking hour and a half minimum.

I don't see where this ferry could be very practical with the bridges and causeway that crosses the bay.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,817,198 times
Need to think bigger...much bigger.

No other area in the the nation, in my opinion, needs a public transportation system by way of rapid rail more than the Tampa Bay area.

It would do wonders for the area. I could finally visit downtown Dunedin, Safety Harbor, or Gulfport in the evening and have a few drinks with no worries getting home. Visit a Rays game without worrying over parking or traffic. Hit the beach for a few hours without trying to find a parking spot.

There is a lot of greatness in the Tampa Bay area that I think isn't explored enough due to transportation limitations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay