Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 5,249 times

Advertisements

My husband I will be relocating to Tampa area, looking at Port Richey in about a year. My mother does not live with us but she does depend on me to take her to store, get groceries, dr appointments and things like that. She is on a fixed income and gets only disability. I know she can have her benefits transferred but was wondering if there is rental places that goes by income like low income housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 12:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusticated View Post
My husband I will be relocating to Tampa area, looking at Port Richey in about a year. My mother does not live with us but she does depend on me to take her to store, get groceries, dr appointments and things like that. She is on a fixed income and gets only disability. I know she can have her benefits transferred but was wondering if there is rental places that goes by income like low income housing?
Dont put your mom in low income housing anywhere

Old 01-28-2017, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 5,249 times
Ok...so maybe I stated that incorrectly. Let me explain, my mother currently lives in a very nice apartment. She only receives disability payment at the beginning of each month. The apartment complex she is renting in basis her rent on income. So I guess not necessarily low income housing but something where rent is based on income that is affordable for her. I will say that she is not able to live with me because I am raising my three grandsons and she can't handle being around kids 24/7.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:01 PM

80 posts, read 81,571 times
The area you mentioned is already a low income area for the most part, not the safest area either. If your mother is over 55 I'm sure there are senior housing around.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:09 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusticated View Post
Ok...so maybe I stated that incorrectly. Let me explain, my mother currently lives in a very nice apartment. She only receives disability payment at the beginning of each month. The apartment complex she is renting in basis her rent on income. So I guess not necessarily low income housing but something where rent is based on income that is affordable for her. I will say that she is not able to live with me because I am raising my three grandsons and she can't handle being around kids 24/7.
That's pretty much the textbook definition of low income housing.

Lots of houses here have split floor plans (or can even have an inlaw suite). My MIL lives with us and I hardly know she's there. When our grandkids come stay over she can get away from them when it gets to be to much.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:23 AM

261 posts, read 260,940 times
PA pretty much sucks I know grew up there. But moved to florida after high school and went to USF to college. Been in the Tampa area for the last 15 years but recently moved out due to the decline of quality of life. As you pretty much know PA has a poor tax structure, bad traffic and crime in the cities like Philly and urban and rural decay across the state . But the Tampa area might not be your answer anymore for relocation. its a dumping ground for criminals from the northeast and north great-lakes states. Tampa is way overpriced and more of a hassle, the insurances and rent are through the roof. Especially in the more urban counties Pinellas and Hillsborough. Also, Traffic is just as bad as philly in Urban Tampa and thatis pretty bad.

Port Richey/Hudson were you are moving is the dumping ground for criminals from the northeast. Its the cheapest area of the Bay area for reason. Also its full of sinkholes just like in rural pa. Also the biggest variable is the flood insurance, most of the us 19 area westward is evacuation zone. IT floods like crazy there in rainy season.

The only positive about Tampa is that no income state income tax which is universal across the state. Winter temperatures are pretty ideal and it dont snow. But other than that lots of problems with crime, illegals, urban sprawl, traffic and increasing cost of living. Keep in mind 75 percent of people who move to Florida under the age of 55 move to Florida to escape a problem. Whether it be bankruptcy, running from warrants, leaving dodge because of a bad local reputation, Starting new after getting out of prison, just got divorced and trying to avoid child support etc. etc. So that plays in part to the national notion of craziness in Florida.

Last edited by paradiselost; 01-31-2017 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Where do you get the 'dumping grounds' info? Is it your personal opinion or is it based on something factual? I was 30 when I moved to FL and those who I know in my age group and those that came to FL werent running from anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
PA pretty much sucks I know grew up there. But moved to florida after high school and went to USF to college. Been in the Tampa area for the last 15 years but recently moved out due to the decline of quality of life. As you pretty much know PA has a poor tax structure, bad traffic and crime in the cities like Philly and urban and rural decay across the state . But the Tampa area might not be your answer anymore for relocation. its a dumping ground for criminals from the northeast and north great-lakes states. Tampa is way overpriced and more of a hassle, the insurances and rent are through the roof. Especially in the more urban counties Pinellas and Hillsborough. Also, Traffic is just as bad as philly in Urban Tampa and thatis pretty bad.

Port Richey/Hudson were you are moving is the dumping ground for criminals from the northeast. Its the cheapest area of the Bay area for reason. Also its full of sinkholes just like in rural pa. Also the biggest variable is the flood insurance, most of the us 19 area westward is evacuation zone. IT floods like crazy there in rainy season.

The only positive about Tampa is that no income state income tax which is universal across the state. Winter temperatures are pretty ideal and it dont snow. But other than that lots of problems with crime, illegals, urban sprawl, traffic and increasing cost of living. Keep in mind 75 percent of people who move to Florida under the age of 55 move to Florida to escape a problem. Whether it be bankruptcy, running from warrants, bad local reputation, Starting new after getting out of prison, just got divorced and trying to avoid child support etc. etc. So that plays in part to the national notion of craziness in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay