U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Tampa Bay booming, Florida’s rapid growth, Tampa metro, poor infrastructure and growing pains, old homes, new condos, cheaper cost of living, job salaries

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 AM
 
849 posts, read 3,273,038 times
Reputation: 199

Advertisements

so what do you do?
In some fields there are no jobs and people who are overqualified for them are doing 8/hr jobs to try to survive. Some fields however are ok. NO real boom or demand. Bayfront Med. center closed their trauma unit for 2-3 days last week because they didn't have enough neurosurgical coverage. Rather than recruit heavily until they find someone, they closed the major trauma unit for this area and routed pts. to lesser ERs


Quote:
Originally Posted by FLNative23 View Post
Realistically, I see hundreds, if not close to or exceeding thousands of jobs availible in the Tampa/St. Pete/Lakeland area and that doesn't include the basic stuff like fast food, grocery, gas stations, and retail stores, ect, ect..

I haven't lived in the Bay Area in 10 years and remember having a hard time finding a job, Is it still like that ?

If I come down, will I have a hard time finding work or are jobs pretty much plenty ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 AM
 
849 posts, read 3,273,038 times
Reputation: 199
Default People are leaving FL in droves!

where did you hear it's growing?
Definitely not the boom town feel of the West. It's from recession not "smart growth." City govts. here are struggling to find funds to cover basics like fire and police while pouring money into the bottomless hole of schools which are nonetheless inadequate in many places. They are also throwing tax dollars into projects like new stadia and "Riverwalks" in the hope of attracting tourist dollars and the false promise of creating jobs. The jobs they do "create" are the minimum wage ones and often the fjobs are filled by disabled people from various programs so they aren't available to the general public.


Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Florida is a rapidly growing state. Job growth in the Tampa metro is supposed to be very high over the next decade or so.

My sister has been transferred to Tampa from the Phoenix metro (job situation), and wants to know what to expect. Does the Tampa metro have the same "boom town" atmosphere as western cities? Or does the region model more of a "smart growth"? Does population growth seem to be within control for the most part?

She adores Phoenix, but has felt the brunt of poor infrastructure and growing pains, and is hoping that Tampa will be an improvement.

Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2008, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,849,759 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
so what do you do?
In some fields there are no jobs and people who are overqualified for them are doing 8/hr jobs to try to survive. Some fields however are ok. NO real boom or demand. Bayfront Med. center closed their trauma unit for 2-3 days last week because they didn't have enough neurosurgical coverage. Rather than recruit heavily until they find someone, they closed the major trauma unit for this area and routed pts. to lesser ERs
I have no skills or education, atleast nothing above high school grad...

In the past few years, I've worked a union job with Kroger ( grocery store ) in Nashville making $13.50/hr.

Most recently, I landed a job as a Project Manager for a local construction company making $22/hr. However, the company folded due to the housing market.

I would try to work a job in Tampa as a Project Manager but EVERY PM job availible either requires 7-10 years experience or a Bachelors Degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 AM
 
23 posts, read 84,870 times
Reputation: 27
I am finding plenty of opportunities for employment in Tampa Bay area.

I would suggest either working on your skills or education if you want higher pay or more options....pay usually increases with level of education, and so will your options for employment.

That said, unemployment is on the rise across the U.S.
Sharpen your skills/degrees so you offer something an employer will want and another employee may not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 AM
 
127 posts, read 396,090 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonenough View Post
I am finding plenty of opportunities for employment in Tampa Bay area.

I would suggest either working on your skills or education if you want higher pay or more options....pay usually increases with level of education, and so will your options for employment.

That said, unemployment is on the rise across the U.S.
Sharpen your skills/degrees so you offer something an employer will want and another employee may not have.
Excellent advice. And just a few stats from the US Census to chew on: The State of Florida grew by 2.3 million people between 2000-2007 making it the third fastest growing state in that period plus in the past year, Florida ranked fourth in the number of people moving to the state. So, no, people are not "leaving in droves"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2008, 09:37 AM
 
849 posts, read 3,273,038 times
Reputation: 199
Default the problem with stats

is that they only count the numbers that are entered in the system. When "unemployment" is counted it's based on who has applied for unemployment compensation and nothing more so you have people who aren't eligible or who were denied for various reasons. That's a pretty good segment of the population in an "at will " state because if the employer simply says, "jessiesma doesn't fit in to our 'team'" jessiesma is not eligible for unemployment compensation (cause somehow that's my fault) and is not counted as a statistic. I simply don't exist in those statistics. They don't even count those seeking employment. I have taken jobs and then had the "job description" change so that I didn't have the skill set for it anymore and rather than move me or let me acquire skills on the job, I was "terminated." No unemployment comp for that. That's just thw way it is.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
Excellent advice. And just a few stats from the US Census to chew on: The State of Florida grew by 2.3 million people between 2000-2007 making it the third fastest growing state in that period plus in the past year, Florida ranked fourth in the number of people moving to the state. So, no, people are not "leaving in droves"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 AM
 
33 posts, read 89,445 times
Reputation: 17
There are TONS of jobs availible in Houston that pay good and don't have nearly the competition for them. Add in the cheaper cost of living and I think I have a winner.

I guess that's the good thing about Texas as compared to Florida, Texas isn't a tourist trap.[quote]

I just want to say a little something here about Texas being so cheap...it's not by any means. Everyone told me and my husband how affordable it was and how we were gonna love it. That couldn't have been further from the truth. Fact is Texas actually hurt us financially! And we were only renting. Imagine our surprise when my husband registered his car..$400 out the window...then there was the deposit for our electric..another $360...then the costant $225 electric bills every month. Gas might have been slightly cheaper than TN, but not much. Food was the same price as TN. And from what I heard from people I met that owned homes they have crazy property taxes on homes that aren't very big. And the car insurance went up dramatically because you have to pay for all the uninsured drivers. And Texas loves them some toll roads! Trust me the state of Texas always gets their money...they have little fees that pop up out of nowhere. And by all means don't speed..like as in go 2 miles over the limit. My husband who never and I mean never gets tickets got 2 within a 3 month period there...and one time while traveling for work down south of Houston got pulled over when he wasn't speeding and was asked to get out of the car. Then the officer preceeded to grill him on whether he had been arrested, etc!!! When my husband came home and told me this I was HORRIFIED! After a year in that dreadful place I was so ready to leave...the best view I ever saw from there was the one in my rear view mirror as we pulled out of town!

Anyway, enough TX venting..just want to give you a heads up so you don't feel like you're missing out on some paradise.

From what I can tell from just checking craigslit in FL is that have a variety of jobs open and the pay is comparable to here in TN. Might be wrong just looks that way from what I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM
 
15,787 posts, read 32,985,172 times
Reputation: 19892
[quote=PalmTreeLover99;3015420]There are TONS of jobs availible in Houston that pay good and don't have nearly the competition for them. Add in the cheaper cost of living and I think I have a winner.

I guess that's the good thing about Texas as compared to Florida, Texas isn't a tourist trap.
Quote:

I just want to say a little something here about Texas being so cheap...it's not by any means. Everyone told me and my husband how affordable it was and how we were gonna love it. That couldn't have been further from the truth. Fact is Texas actually hurt us financially! And we were only renting. Imagine our surprise when my husband registered his car..$400 out the window...then there was the deposit for our electric..another $360...then the costant $225 electric bills every month. Gas might have been slightly cheaper than TN, but not much. Food was the same price as TN. And from what I heard from people I met that owned homes they have crazy property taxes on homes that aren't very big. And the car insurance went up dramatically because you have to pay for all the uninsured drivers. And Texas loves them some toll roads! Trust me the state of Texas always gets their money...they have little fees that pop up out of nowhere. And by all means don't speed..like as in go 2 miles over the limit. My husband who never and I mean never gets tickets got 2 within a 3 month period there...and one time while traveling for work down south of Houston got pulled over when he wasn't speeding and was asked to get out of the car. Then the officer preceeded to grill him on whether he had been arrested, etc!!! When my husband came home and told me this I was HORRIFIED! After a year in that dreadful place I was so ready to leave...the best view I ever saw from there was the one in my rear view mirror as we pulled out of town!

Anyway, enough TX venting..just want to give you a heads up so you don't feel like you're missing out on some paradise.

From what I can tell from just checking craigslit in FL is that have a variety of jobs open and the pay is comparable to here in TN. Might be wrong just looks that way from what I can tell.
I'm glad you posted your experience here, PalmTreeLover. Seems like there are a few people who come to this forum and tout Texas as a great cheap place to live. The truth is Texas has the SECOND HIGHEST property tax rate in the country, second only to Wisonsin, and from what I have read, they are reassessed every year and don't think there are any special caps or exemptions. True the houses are cheaper, but they get you in the taxes. Everyone who has lived there says it is MUCH hotter than in Florida, so AC bills will be lots worse.

Tampa has plenty of jobs for those who have the education and credentials. Since the whole country is now in a recession, it can't be said to be "booming", but other than real estate, I would consider it stable, and a pretty good place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2008, 01:48 PM
 
33 posts, read 89,445 times
Reputation: 17
Gypsychic- It is terribly hot in Texas...like as in so miserable you just want to die even sitting by the pool hot. When I was there summer of 06' we had over a month where it was 100+ (usually about 105) with humidity at 100%. You walk to your car from your house/apt and you are drenched. I know for me soaking through clothes in 10 seconds isn't what I call a good time. I have a friend who lives in Tampa and he said that it's no way near as hot as TX and he would know as he has spent time in TX. And you are right about the property taxes. One of the things I heard while down there was that one year Cedar Park didn't charge enough in property taxes by accident so then sent out more bills like 6 months later! Can you believe that?? And yes, air conditioning costs a fortune and you have to run it or else you'll melt. In my opinion a $225 bill for an apt isn't a good thing. And with Texas too you have to remember that they get a lot of rain...I mean a lot of rain. And it's not a nice rain in the afternoon type of thing..it's downpours that then bring along floods. I was so depressed when I was down there..rain, heat, rain, heat. The winter did not make up for it either! We had a major ice storm and lost power. Ugh....better stop now...drudging up bad memories. And yes, the economy is funky, but that's everywhere, not just Tampa. Personally as a massage therapist I am finding all kinds of available jobs online so yes, it's all about having the credentials and education, etc.

And one last thing. I keep reading about the property taxes and HMO in Florida....you guys don't have a state tax...and your sales tax is low. The state has to get money from somewhere. As I have been looking up info on hurricanes etc and the sheer amount of money the damage costs it's no wonder the taxes are high. That makes sense to me and something my husband and I are prepared for. And did I read it right do you guys not have tax on food?? If that's true that would be lovely! It amazes me how much tax adds up when you go to the grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2008, 01:55 PM
 
252 posts, read 309,146 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Tampa has no "boom". Our country is in the middle of a bad recession. Tampa is not immune to it's effects. Good jobs are scarce and cost of living is high.
Agreed! Tampa is a Bust!--Not Boom! Big Badda Bust!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top