Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,787 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to move somewhere near the Tampa area but not too far from St Petersburg(Have family member there). I am a police officer in NC and would like to relocate with my wife and daughter to a nice country setting in FL where I can transfer to a medium-large Department. Any ideas where a good area is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Parrish/Ellenton ----work St Pete PD or Tampa PD or Bradenton PD or Sarasota PD.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:10 AM

25 posts, read 29,819 times
Brandon, Bloomingdale, Riverview or Valrico are all very nice areas. It depends on a few more things..."country" can mean different things to different people. For some, "country" means being off a main road with .5 to 1 acre of land. For others, it means being further removed from the "hustle" of a neighborhood and 5-10 acres of land.

I used to live in Asheville, NC, and "country" there, means something much different than what it means here in the Tampa Bay area.

It also depends on what your spending budget is. You can get more land for your money in Plant City, but your commute may be longer depending on what precinct you connect with.

You also didn't specify about your daughter's age and taking the school district into consideration and if your wife is going to look for employment.

It's probably best to first research your potential work situation first, then the school district and then decide how far of a commute you want to make from that central point.

Do you have a house to sell in NC before you move here? You would be wise to discuss your moving/buying plans with a FL mortgage broker before you do anything because I know the one I work with sometimes recommends out of state buyers to buy their FL property first with 10% down, then move after closing. It all has to do with the way the bank underwriters qualify you for your mortgage.

Hope this info helps!
Pamela

Old 02-14-2017, 09:53 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaPam View Post
Brandon, Bloomingdale, Riverview or Valrico are all very nice areas. It depends on a few more things..."country" can mean different things to different people. For some, "country" means being off a main road with .5 to 1 acre of land. For others, it means being further removed from the "hustle" of a neighborhood and 5-10 acres of land.

I used to live in Asheville, NC, and "country" there, means something much different than what it means here in the Tampa Bay area.

It also depends on what your spending budget is. You can get more land for your money in Plant City, but your commute may be longer depending on what precinct you connect with.

You also didn't specify about your daughter's age and taking the school district into consideration and if your wife is going to look for employment.

It's probably best to first research your potential work situation first, then the school district and then decide how far of a commute you want to make from that central point.

Do you have a house to sell in NC before you move here? You would be wise to discuss your moving/buying plans with a FL mortgage broker before you do anything because I know the one I work with sometimes recommends out of state buyers to buy their FL property first with 10% down, then move after closing. It all has to do with the way the bank underwriters qualify you for your mortgage.

Hope this info helps!
Pamela
Solid advise......except your mortgage guy. Why would anyone would advise to buy first with 10% and THEN sell what they have. That doesn't make sense at all. First, the debt profile will look so bad wih two mortgage at same time, costing them on the interest rate. Second, the FL home will be considered a vacation home that would carry a higher interest rate, another cost. The best is to sell their home from out of state, move here, rent for a while, study the area, and then buy home on a neighborhood and commute that they are comfortable with.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:29 AM

88 posts, read 108,499 times
What is your timeframe to move here? I would recommend a contract contingent upon the sale of your current home. I have helped many people relocate and I would avoid buying a home here until you sell your current home and have a job figured out if at all possible. You could always rent for a year first to decide if you like the area although rents are pretty high around here right now. What would be the max distance you want to be from St. Pete? As others have mentioned Parrish sounds like a potential fit. Possibly even Land O Lakes. There is some country like setting in Odessa and Lutz as well. These would likely be about 35-50 min to St. Pete depending on where the house is and where in St. Pete you are going. All depends what commute you are comfortable with and how country you want to be!
John

Last edited by John Alecci; 02-14-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 02-14-2017, 11:22 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armycerveza88 View Post
I am wanting to move somewhere near the Tampa area but not too far from St Petersburg(Have family member there). I am a police officer in NC and would like to relocate with my wife and daughter to a nice country setting in FL where I can transfer to a medium-large Department. Any ideas where a good area is?
An alternative to the "big city" environment while still being within an hour or so of St. Pete would be Plant City. All the rural you want and still within Hillsborough County for the sheriff's department or Plant City police department.

RM

Old 02-14-2017, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaPam View Post

Hope this info helps!
Pamela
I live in Gaston Co. Country to me is where you can drive for miles and miles with the view being farms, trees and open fields. Only passing a house ever so often and very few big chain supermarkets.

We are looking to have a minimum of 2 acres and our budget is $150k. My daughter is 3 years old and my wife has been bartending for about a year which pays good in our area. I would not mind up to a 30min commute for me to work and an hour for my wife. I currently rent so there is no house to sell first before relocating. I will be using a VA Home Loan and have just started speaking with a VA friendly Realtor. Thank you for replies.

Last edited by Armycerveza88; 02-14-2017 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Added information

Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 PM

25 posts, read 29,819 times
Ok, good luck with that.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armycerveza88 View Post
I live in Gaston Co. Country to me is where you can drive for miles and miles with the view being farms, trees and open fields. Only passing a house ever so often and very few big chain supermarkets.

We are looking to have a minimum of 2 acres and our budget is $150k. My daughter is 3 years old and my wife has been bartending for about a year which pays good in our area. I would not mind up to a 30min commute for me to work and an hour for my wife. I currently rent so there is no house to sell first before relocating. I will be using a VA Home Loan and have just started speaking with a VA friendly Realtor. Thank you for replies.
Maybe out toward Barstow and work Brandon? Or look toward areas Central FL (Lake Wales).

Old 02-14-2017, 08:54 PM

.....or north of Lutz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay