Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 AM

849 posts, read 3,515,867 times

Advertisements

Jammie, you have to bite the bullet and bring both. If DH is still working or you are for that matter it will be tough scheduling things with just one. You can't always rely on public trans here to get you where you need to go when you need to be there. If it involves a transfer, forget it. You can just drive when there's no alternative. Just insure one vehicle for occasional use. I sure wish we had a second one but because of SSI it's only 1 to a customer Another plus to having 2 is that when one is in the shop you don't have to rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Gypsy, I was thinking about you when I asked the question because I know you live there. I nearly DM-ed the question to you. I do have a car because it's necessary to have one up here, but we've been debating about coming down with both vehicles or just one. I would personally prefer to use the transit system because I don't like to drive.

DH turns 62 in a few days and as soon as his surgery is over, he's ready to head down there to get things organized. I didn't think he'd actually agree to moving, but he's pretty happy about it now. SO, if things work out well for us this will be my last cold winter. I've been teetering back and forth on different cities and even different (warm) states, but DH just decided it'll be Lakeland if all goes well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 AM

403 posts, read 1,188,952 times
I could never imagine life without two vehicles. In Tampa, it's just impossible. Not do'able, whatsoever.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
I agree that in Tampa or St. Pete it is not really possible or doable, but in Lakeland, I totally think it is. But you would have to live in a convenient area of town. I could live here without a car if I had to, I walk almost everywhere I need to go, a tank of gas lasts about a month because everything I need is so close. And if I did need a bus, they are close by, and would take me anywhere I needed.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,915,505 times
Ummm...I haven't driven in Tampa in over a year. I'm single. I work. Have a full life. How can you say it isn't possible. I'm not trying to be flip, I just don't understand. If I'm doing it; that makes it possible.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM

Depends on what area of town you live in..

For me, impossible. For someone who lives in the middle of everything (downtown, ybor, channelside, westchase), perhaps it is. Even still, it must be a challenge. My point being - For the average person, it's extremely difficult. Tampa makes it challenging, and no light at the end of the tunnel.. The plans for a user-friendly, safe mass transit system is 10+ years out, easy.

Not possible, in my life. Tampa is too spread out. I have to go to Carrollwood to work, or to get dog food.. I have to go to Brandon for this, New Tampa for that.. Forget it. Waiting on mass transit would cost me too much time. Time is money!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpiro View Post
Depends on what area of town you live in..

For me, impossible. For someone who lives in the middle of everything (downtown, ybor, channelside, westchase), perhaps it is.

Not possible, in my life. Tampa is too spread out. I have to go to Carrollwood to work, or to get dog food.. I have to go to Brandon for this, New Tampa for that.. Forget it. Waiting on mass transit would cost me too much time. Time is money!
I understand that; but for someone moving here, they can select to live intown if public transport is important to them.

I just don't want the message out there to be that you can't live in Tampa without driving.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 AM

I honestly believe that this is the case. I don't see it being very easy. You might not want that message out, but why mislead people? Just keeping it honest and real. Possible? Sure. But it's going to cost you time and money. Plain and simple. The areas in town that are inclusive that we've discussed, are not cheap by any stretch. You can't get into some of those areas without buying a 300K-400K+ house.. or renting a $2500 apartment..

And as you said in your original post: The bus system sucks. What does that leave? Taxi's.

Have you ever taken a taxi from downtown Tampa to Brandon, or New Tampa? Ha. Try it sometime. It'll cost you. I've done it before, and from Downtown to Brandon cost me over $30 each way. That's half my insurance bill. Take that trip 4 times a month, and that's my car payment. Why not just keep the car? Makes more sense. More reliable and safe. More freedom. Saves time. I could keep going..

I'm not trying to be negative, or argumentative. I do, however, want people to know the real deal. The truth.. What they can realistically expect out of this area.. It's not NYC, it's not Chicago or Boston. We don't have all inclusive borough's or neighborhoods for the most part, and the ones we do have are very expensive (Home in Hyde Park will cost you over 600K, Downtown lofts start at 300K for one bedroom, etc). A middle-income family simply will need to have a car per working adult. It's just a fact. Waiting for the less-than-perfect busing system, or using a taxi, just isn't feasible to go to work.

Last edited by MarketingGuy; 03-05-2008 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpiro View Post
I honestly believe that this is the case. I don't see it being very easy. You might not want that message out, but why mislead people? Just keeping it honest and real. Possible? Sure. But it's going to cost you time and money. Plain and simple. The areas in town that are inclusive that we've discussed, are not cheap by any stretch. You can't get into some of those areas without buying a 300K-400K+ house.. or renting a $2500 apartment..

And as you said in your original post: The bus system sucks. What does that leave? Taxi's.

Have you ever taken a taxi from downtown Tampa to Brandon, or New Tampa? Ha. Try it sometime. It'll cost you. I've done it before, and from Downtown to Brandon cost me over $30 each way. That's half my insurance bill. Take that trip 4 times a month, and that's my car payment. Why not just keep the car? Makes more sense. More reliable and safe. More freedom. Saves time. I could keep going..

I'm not trying to be negative, or argumentative. I do, however, want people to know the real deal. The truth.. What they can realistically expect out of this area.. It's not NYC, it's not Chicago or Boston. We don't have all inclusive borough's or neighborhoods for the most part, and the ones we do have are very expensive (Home in Hyde Park will cost you over 600K, Downtown lofts start at 300K for one bedroom, etc). A middle-income family simply will need to have a car per working adult. It's just a fact. Waiting for the less-than-perfect busing system, or using a taxi, just isn't feasible to go to work.
I understand. I find it convenient for my particular lifestyle. I have lived in Boston; and it is much better. I actually have saved money giving up my car; but I'm young, urban, and single. Different for someone who likes the suburbs (shudder) and is married (double shudder )

Trust me -- the prices and rents intown tampa are peanuts compared to Boston or New York. It's a lifestyle. Some people dig it, some don't. Of course I wish Tampa were larger and more urban with a great transporation network, but I'm one of many working to get it there.

BTW -- don't expect me to come visit you in Apollo Beach. Too dang long on this bus system...LOL (I CAN empathize with you).

I want our transport to grow though, and I will promote it as much as I can. The more riders we get, the better the system will get.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 AM

849 posts, read 3,515,867 times
Default I think

the transportation system should grow but not everyone is young and not everyone wants to confine their activities to the city where the bus goes. Don't you ever go to the beach? In St. Pete this is possible by bus but as far as I know not from Tampa. Then there are the disabled folk who find it very difficult to use public transportation. I'd hate the burbs too, although I am married but since I fit the other two categories I mentioned, I need a car. I hate it too. Would really rather do without but I just really cna't in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I understand. I find it convenient for my particular lifestyle. I have lived in Boston; and it is much better. I actually have saved money giving up my car; but I'm young, urban, and single. Different for someone who likes the suburbs (shudder) and is married (double shudder )

I want our transport to grow though, and I will promote it as much as I can. The more riders we get, the better the system will get.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 AM

Trust me, I'd rather live in an inclusive area too.. I just can't afford it here. When we move out of Tampa, we'll be looking to live in an area like Boston, or Chicago.

Now, to be helpful for those still interested in the future of mass transit, I have some links for you in my bookmarks.

HART Transit Development Plan 2008-2017 Update
TBO News Video - Tampa Bay News Video from TBO.com - Light Rail System (http://www.tbo.com/news/reports/lightrail/ - broken link)
Amtrak Proposes Intercity Rail Ideas

The second link, from TBO, is great. It's a whole section of the website dedicated to the future plans and development. Worth taking some time to read and watch the videos. When it's done, it'll be fantastic. But we're talking sometime around 2017. That's a whiles away. That's assuming it doesn't get cut, and right now Florida (and everywhere else) is in cut and trim mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay