U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
 
3,124 posts, read 4,404,658 times
Reputation: 1955

Advertisements

It's not as bad as everyone says; so for those of you who question and get the "it sucks" stock answer I'd like to let you know that many of us live, work, and play in Tampa without benefit of a car (for various reasons).

1. Like any city, if you live outside of City Limits it's difficult to get around without a car. Tampa is very spread out, so it's best to stay "in-town", which is S. Tampa, Downtown, Channelside, Ybor, and MAYBE Tampa Heights.

2. The bus system here does not run frequently on many routes, nor late in the evening. However, the money saved on car payment, insurance, gas, maintenance, parking, cleaning leaves MORE than enough for the occasional cab.

3. The system won't get any better if nobody uses it. It's getting busier as gas prices go up.

It's really not as bad as everyone says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM
 
Location: South Tampa - Bayside West Neighborhood
1,824 posts, read 7,770,436 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
It's not as bad as everyone says; so for those of you who question and get the "it sucks" stock answer I'd like to let you know that many of us live, work, and play in Tampa without benefit of a car (for various reasons).

1. Like any city, if you live outside of City Limits it's difficult to get around without a car. Tampa is very spread out, so it's best to stay "in-town", which is S. Tampa, Downtown, Channelside, Ybor, and MAYBE Tampa Heights.

2. The bus system here does not run frequently on many routes, nor late in the evening. However, the money saved on car payment, insurance, gas, maintenance, parking, cleaning leaves MORE than enough for the occasional cab.

3. The system won't get any better if nobody uses it. It's getting busier as gas prices go up.

It's really not as bad as everyone says.
I have to agree...I have used public transportation on occasion, and although it doens't come by every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day, it is there, and the busses are very clean and modern. I can see how those that live within the city limits can readily access and use the system, adn those in the outlying areas find it very troublesome. I noticed that HART has seen the biggest amount of ridership ever, especially due to the price of gas lately..and the more people use it, the more it will be available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
 
541 posts, read 2,124,572 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
It's not as bad as everyone says; so for those of you who question and get the "it sucks" stock answer I'd like to let you know that many of us live, work, and play in Tampa without benefit of a car (for various reasons).

1. Like any city, if you live outside of City Limits it's difficult to get around without a car. Tampa is very spread out, so it's best to stay "in-town", which is S. Tampa, Downtown, Channelside, Ybor, and MAYBE Tampa Heights.

2. The bus system here does not run frequently on many routes, nor late in the evening. However, the money saved on car payment, insurance, gas, maintenance, parking, cleaning leaves MORE than enough for the occasional cab.

3. The system won't get any better if nobody uses it. It's getting busier as gas prices go up.

It's really not as bad as everyone says.

So if you live "in-town" do you have access to many restaurants, groceries, post-offices, churches, targets, and nightlife? What do you need to take a cab out for and how often? I do enjoy walkable,no-car neighborhoods and I am glad to see that Tampa has that option. But how often would you need to take a cab?

Also, if you live "in-town" do people use bikes a lot? Are there lots of bike racks or at least palm trees to lock your bike up against? I also like neighborhoods with lots of bikes. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Location: South Tampa - Bayside West Neighborhood
1,824 posts, read 7,770,436 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
So if you live "in-town" do you have access to many restaurants, groceries, post-offices, churches, targets, and nightlife? What do you need to take a cab out for and how often? I do enjoy walkable,no-car neighborhoods and I am glad to see that Tampa has that option. But how often would you need to take a cab?

Also, if you live "in-town" do people use bikes a lot? Are there lots of bike racks or at least palm trees to lock your bike up against? I also like neighborhoods with lots of bikes. Thanks.
Where I live in South Tampa, there is the #19 bus a block from my house, but within walking distance there are 5 restaurants, 3 bars, 2 dry cleaners, a Farmers market, 2 convenice stores, a Meat Market/Deli, a few Barbars and Hair Salons, Dentist, 3 banks, Tanning and Day Spa, Auto Shops, Pizza place, and a few small businesses...you will find this is the case in most of South Tampa neighborhoods....the #19 bus can take you places like Britton Plaza which is one transfer area, Hyde Park, Davis Islands and Downtown where you can transfer to just about anywhere in the city.

I also bike alot, but the as the roads are not as friendly to bikes, unless they are new roads or just refinished, they have added bike lanes finally. And yes, most shopping plazas have bike racks of some sort, and the public busses have bike racks as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 06:46 PM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,495 posts, read 34,772,868 times
Reputation: 15117
How good is the public transportation in Lakeland? I believe it's called Citra or something like that, but would it get you around? Also, does anyone know if Lakeland has a bus that goes to Tampa or to Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 PM
 
15,764 posts, read 32,848,607 times
Reputation: 19743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
How good is the public transportation in Lakeland? I believe it's called Citra or something like that, but would it get you around? Also, does anyone know if Lakeland has a bus that goes to Tampa or to Orlando?
Jammie, the bus system here is called the "Citrus Connection." I haven't taken it, but the downtown depot is beautiful with lots of trees, and all the buses are tropical colors, coordinated to their routes. They even have a "handibus" that will come pick up elderly and disabled. On the surface of it, it seems much nicer than just about any I have seen.

Anyway, here is a link to their website, maybe that will help answer your questions.

Citrus Connection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,495 posts, read 34,772,868 times
Reputation: 15117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Jammie, the bus system here is called the "Citrus Connection." I haven't taken it, but the downtown depot is beautiful with lots of trees, and all the buses are tropical colors, coordinated to their routes. They even have a "handibus" that will come pick up elderly and disabled. On the surface of it, it seems much nicer than just about any I have seen.

Anyway, here is a link to their website, maybe that will help answer your questions.

Citrus Connection
Gypsy, I was thinking about you when I asked the question because I know you live there. I nearly DM-ed the question to you. I do have a car because it's necessary to have one up here, but we've been debating about coming down with both vehicles or just one. I would personally prefer to use the transit system because I don't like to drive.

DH turns 62 in a few days and as soon as his surgery is over, he's ready to head down there to get things organized. I didn't think he'd actually agree to moving, but he's pretty happy about it now. SO, if things work out well for us this will be my last cold winter. I've been teetering back and forth on different cities and even different (warm) states, but DH just decided it'll be Lakeland if all goes well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
392 posts, read 1,083,537 times
Reputation: 88
I disagree.. public transportation/mass transit is awful in the Bay area.

I won't change my mind on that until they implement a light rail system or similar. Tampa is too large and broad to rely on buses to get anywhere.

I live near Apollo beach - it takes almost 2 hours to get to MAFB across town, via bus. No thanks. Oh, and to get that Bus, I would have to drive to Brandon. Why you might ask? Well - because there isn't a bus to get me from AB to Brandon to change. This is just an example.

As mentioned above, if you need mass transit, then live in Hyde Park, Downtown, Ybor, or similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 06:50 AM
 
15,764 posts, read 32,848,607 times
Reputation: 19743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Gypsy, I was thinking about you when I asked the question because I know you live there. I nearly DM-ed the question to you. I do have a car because it's necessary to have one up here, but we've been debating about coming down with both vehicles or just one. I would personally prefer to use the transit system because I don't like to drive.

DH turns 62 in a few days and as soon as his surgery is over, he's ready to head down there to get things organized. I didn't think he'd actually agree to moving, but he's pretty happy about it now. SO, if things work out well for us this will be my last cold winter. I've been teetering back and forth on different cities and even different (warm) states, but DH just decided it'll be Lakeland if all goes well.
Jammie, if you and hubby live in Lakeland's downtown core it will be very easy to get along with one vehicle. Our nice buses takes you anywhere in the city, and even to other cities in the county. And everything you need is close by in this town, I think you will really enjoy it. There is an outstanding quality of life here, for a much lower cost than much of Florida.

Feel free to DM me if you have any other specific questions, I am always glad to help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
392 posts, read 1,083,537 times
Reputation: 88
Lakeland is a great city..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top