Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 03:00 PM

261 posts, read 260,828 times

Advertisements

I lived in both Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties since 2000 and recently moved out of state last summer. The traffic and accident rates were one of the big reasons we got out of dodge. Driving to work became disastrous on a daily basis. It got worse and worse and 2016 was the last draw for us. Most recently we lived in Brandon/Riverview and that experience was enough to make us never come back to Central Florida after what we experienced in 2016. Driving everyday to work to Tampa, I can see why the Car insurance rates skyrocketed here the last few
years.

You got newcomers of all ages who move here from 50 different states, you have a high elderly population especially Pinellas who move here late in life. (who would have difficulty driving anywhere but come to this mess!)You have visitors from all over the world who come here on vacation. All 3 classes have no idea where they are going. A recent study indicated 60 thousand new people moved here the last few years total with little infrastructure improvements. That figure is great for developers but not for the quality of life.

Then throw in the infamous Florida dangerous U TURNS, the WRONG WAY drivers, the drunk drivers, lack of solid major highways and expressways. Also there is way too much reliance on surface level streets and the numerous dangerous bridges. Because of all of this You got a total disaster on your hands.

Real Estate Agents or Chamber of Commerce members can sugarcoat it all they want. But the fact is this place has became increasingly dangerous for drivers and pedestrians. Yes there is some nice beaches and warm winters. But is it worth the dangerous travel and high insurance costs.

Last edited by paradiselost; 03-24-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 08:12 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
I lived in both Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties since 2000 and recently moved out of state last summer. The traffic and accident rates were one of the big reasons we got out of dodge. Driving to work became disastrous on a daily basis. It got worse and worse and 2016 was the last draw for us. Most recently we lived in Brandon/Riverview and that experience was enough to make us never come back to Central Florida after what we experienced in 2016. Driving everyday to work to Tampa, I can see why the Car insurance rates skyrocketed here the last few
years.

You got newcomers of all ages who move here from 50 different states, you have a high elderly population especially Pinellas who move here late in life. (who would have difficulty driving anywhere but come to this mess!)You have visitors from all over the world who come here on vacation. All 3 classes have no idea where they are going. A recent study indicated 60 thousand new people moved here the last few years total with little infrastructure improvements. That figure is great for developers but not for the quality of life.

Then throw in the infamous Florida dangerous U TURNS, the WRONG WAY drivers, the drunk drivers, lack of solid major highways and expressways. Also there is way too much reliance on surface level streets and the numerous dangerous bridges. Because of all of this You got a total disaster on your hands.

Real Estate Agents or Chamber of Commerce members can sugarcoat it all they want. But the fact is this place has became increasingly dangerous for drivers and pedestrians. Yes there is some nice beaches and warm winters. But is it worth the dangerous travel and high insurance costs.
This post says it all in perfect detail. Very accurate and honest description, of major problems not being dealth with.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 AM

44 posts, read 50,854 times
Every time I drive home from Ybor to Pinellas Park after work, I feel like some drivers take it as a nascar race to cross the bridge. Its edgy for me and I am a late 20s driver with no accidents. I couldn't imagine being inexperienced young driver, older driver, or have precious cargo with me.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:47 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Impatient drivers who weave/dart from lane to lane are the biggest culprit, imo.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:36 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,240,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Impatient drivers who weave/dart from lane to lane are the biggest culprit, imo.
Including those who are on motorcycles, crazy to see them drive even between lanes, especially into oncoming traffic. Recent accident of impatient driver on motorcycle who went around around 10 vehicles and tractor/trailer who were waiting to turn left, he decided to pass the waiting cars going to the left of the cars. It didn't work out for him, simple stupidity.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:40 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Including those who are on motorcycles, crazy to see them drive even between lanes, especially into oncoming traffic. Recent accident of impatient driver on motorcycle who went around around 10 vehicles and tractor/trailer who were waiting to turn left, he decided to pass the waiting cars going to the left of the cars. It didn't work out for him, simple stupidity.

Thanks for linking to that.
As a once and future motorcyclist I find it helpful to compare avoidable accidents where motorcyclist is entirely at fault (this case) to the more frightening unavoidable accidents (like a motorcyclist stopped at a traffic light getting hit from behind by someone who didn't see him, or the more common left turn into the unseen motorcyclist's path). This guy died because of his high rate of speed, and his illegal maneuver.

In most accidents, someone is at fault due to aggressive speeding. It's rarely Grandma.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:25 PM

828 posts, read 691,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Thanks for linking to that.
As a once and future motorcyclist I find it helpful to compare avoidable accidents where motorcyclist is entirely at fault (this case) to the more frightening unavoidable accidents (like a motorcyclist stopped at a traffic light getting hit from behind by someone who didn't see him, or the more common left turn into the unseen motorcyclist's path). This guy died because of his high rate of speed, and his illegal maneuver.

In most accidents, someone is at fault due to aggressive speeding. It's rarely Grandma.
This^. It is hardly ever Grandma unless a speeding idiot hits her when she is obeying the laws. Blaming the elderly who move here is not accurate. The main problem is that young and middle-aged people here feel the need to drive so fast combined with the left turns and U turns across 60mph highways. It is crazy.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:50 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,352 times
I rather have the crazy speeder than someone driving way too slow making other drivers do stupid stuff to get around them.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:07 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post

I would take traveling with M*******s trying to get around Boston at rush hour any day over some drivers here. LOL.
My father in law lives near US 19 & 580, I hate going down there because of the terrible drivers and most of our vacations are to Maine, I try to leave around noon-1 PM just to hit 495 so early that there is no traffic. People will tailgate on 495 just to keep other drivers from shoehorning their cars in front of them.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:03 PM

65 posts, read 71,178 times
Some of the worst drivers I've encountered down here have Texas plates or have Tim's Barber Shop stickers on their rear windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay