Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:39 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times

Advertisements

Publix rings up rough first quarter - Orlando Sentinel

Worst sales results in nearly 10 years.

Sad. It's a very bad sign.

Publix has been complacent for far too long, enjoying its monopoly on Florida. Now that people have so many cheaper options, there's nothing to lure people back to Publix.

Publix stores look exactly like they did in 1987. Meanwhile people are flocking to stores like Aldi, Lidl, Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Lucky's, Fresh Thyme Market, etc., with nicer amenities like freshly fried tortilla chips and juice bars and and more prepared foods and cheaper prices. People today expect fresh food, gourmet prepared food and cheaper prices, period. Not aisles and aisles of overpriced boxed junk, like at Publix. The Lucky's and Sprouts stores are jam-packed with shoppers. And we know how Trader Joe's is: good luck finding a parking spot! Then there's all the other cheap competitors like Walmart, Dollar General, etc. Publix can't compete unless it offers something the others do not.

I feel sorry for retailers that don't innovate. Retailers like Sears, Macy's, Publix. They are living on borrowed time.

Last edited by sinatras; 05-01-2017 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-01-2017, 11:51 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Publix stores look exactly like they did in 1987.
I guess once you ignore all the stores they've been rebuilding...

Quote:
And we know how Trader Joe's is: good luck finding a parking spot!
Well, when your parking lot is about 20 spaces...

Quote:
Then there's all the other cheap competitors like Walmart, Dollar General, etc. Publix can't compete unless it offers something the others do not.
Wal-Mart attempted to take Publix head-to-head with the BOGO sales and ended up having to stop because they were losing money. And, seriously... You think Dollar General is posing a threat to Publix?

Old 05-01-2017, 11:53 AM

Dollar General is expanding its food departments and many times you can find fresher stuff there than at Publix. Fresh meats, veg, cheeses, they are opening huge stores full of fresh food products left and right. I was in Thonotosassa the other day at a DG Market there and they had amazing deals. They are called Dollar General Markets.

Everyone is selling food nowadays really. Hence Publix's struggles.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:54 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
I feel like Publix could def improve their prepared food section. Often times, it's friend chicken, mac and cheese and maybe some other "southern" food options. No, thanks.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:54 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
Quote:
many times you can find fresher stuff there than at Publix.
I really wonder if you believe the things you say, or if your sole goal on here is stir the pot.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I really wonder if you believe the things you say, or if your sole goal on here is stir the pot.
I am a Wall Street analyst for the retail industry. Are you?

Old 05-01-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I invite you to go to the Dollar General Market at 9940 Rockhill Rd, Thonotosassa, FL 33592.
Stroll through the aisles. Pay attention to the product assortment and the prices.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I feel like Publix could def improve their prepared food section. Often times, it's friend chicken, mac and cheese and maybe some other "southern" food options. No, thanks.
Yes, their prepared food assortment is very much out-dated. People don't want to eat like that anymore.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:02 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,827,984 times
My closest Pulbix is tough to get to (horrible parking lot configuration combined with a poorly designed intersection) and doesn't really offer anything to make it worth my while to go there over the two different Winn-Dixie stores I can get to in five minutes without any hassle. I may swing in there occasionally to pick something up on the way home, but that's not very often. They aren't bad stores, just not the best option for me.

We're getting a Lucky's that's going to be real close to where I live. I look forward to checking it out.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
My closest Pulbix is tough to get to (horrible parking lot configuration combined with a poorly designed intersection) and doesn't really offer anything to make it worth my while to go there over the two different Winn-Dixie stores I can get to in five minutes without any hassle. I may swing in there occasionally to pick something up on the way home, but that's not very often. They aren't bad stores, just not the best option for me.

We're getting a Lucky's that's going to be real close to where I live. I look forward to checking it out.
Love the Lucky's stores. Great prepared foods. freshly made juices, good produce. The focus is on fresh foods, not boxes. Very few aisles of boxed anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay