Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 09:17 PM

535 posts, read 1,407,652 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in North Jersey, Sussex county to be exact and I'm seriously thinking of leaving this place due to that I have no family here and the few family I have live in Miami. I moved to New Jersey after dating a guy long distance and moved after graduation then we got married, but now we are separated. I lived in Miami for 13 years before moving to NJ, but refuse to live in that city again. Miami was never my cup of tea of a city and it feels like a zoo. I just hated the obnoxious people, traffic, high cost of living, lack of assimilation and culture of the city. I've been to St. Petersburg once in 2011 and loved it and it's only a 3 1/2 hour drive to Miami.

A little about myself. I'm 30 years old, no children, hispanic and bilingual. Currently, I work for a major phone carrier full time and make a decent salary around $43K. I consider myself progressive and pretty liberal. I'm not the typical latina. I love 60's, 70's and 80's music, retro movies and don't know how to dance salsa. I love walkable areas to walk with my dog and the beach scene. My hobbies include going to the gym and walk outdoors. I would love to live in a place with mind like individuals, high walk score, nice bars/clubs, not too family oriented and things to do for someone like me. I'm not sure if St. Petersburg is the place and would love the locals input.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 AM

428 posts, read 413,957 times
Tampa Bay is very family oriented- just rated one of the best places for families- but I think you will probably find more singles closer to the beach and downtown in gentrifying areas.

In terms of "zoo", I agree that SE FL, at least when we also lived there, was a zoo because of the fast pace- and the bay area is definitely slower... To me, the bay area feels much more like one big suburb than a city.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 PM

25 posts, read 29,613 times
Hi Fellow Jersey Girl! I lived in Nutley, Trenton, Madison & Irvington NJ before moving to FL. I was like you as well and wasn't sure where to go. I ended up about an hour north of St. Pete, but my next move is definitely going to be to St. Pete! I'm a single gal too...not as young as you, but still got some kick in me!

I went to a ballroom dance in Palm Harbor last night and met some younger guys (in their 30s) who told me St. Pete is one of the (if not THE) top place in the country for ballroom dancing! Even though you don't do Salsa, it's SO much fun and a great way to meet some nice people in the area. Of course, you still have to watch out for the 'dirty ol' men' who try to pick you up, but most of them are harmless.

Anyway, I also have 3 dogs and am always seeking out new places to bring them. There are LOTS of walkable parks in St. Pete and you also have a dog beach at Fort DeSoto. And if you don't mind driving about 30 minutes north, there is Hammock Park and another dog beach on Honeymoon Island. Oh, and there's always the Pinellas Trail. There is a book you can get on Amazon called Fido's Florida that has a lot of great resources.

You could still find some affordable housing in St. Pete, although the market is VERY hot right now. If you're thinking of buying, the sooner the better. Is your job going to be transferable down here?

Only downside is they don't pump your gas here :-( The upside is NO SNOW!!!! C'mon down Jersey Girl!

DM me if you'd like more info :-)

Old 05-18-2017, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,473 times
Hi! I'm sure you'll be happy in this city. It's not perfect, but nice enough.
Maybe you'll need some help in moving from one state to another. There are a lot of professional moving services here - https://cooljonny.com. Many of them provide interstate moving. CoolJonny is like eBay or Amazon but instead of buying goods, you as a customer buy services. You just choose the service you want to get and look for the service provider you like the most. Service providers have their own profiles, similar to Facebook, where there are displayed service provider's avatar, name, working hours and days, description of his/her company and services, and reviews by other customers. When you found the service provider you like, you just order their service by choosing date, time, and place when and where you want to get your service. Try it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay