Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:01 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times

Advertisements

Ocean Pines Drive, Lake Padgett area. Evacuations ordered, power being cut. Stay tuned.

Sinkhole forces Florida neighborhood to evacuate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 06:46 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Crazy stuff. Been hearing about it all day on the radio while I was out working.

Hopefully it makes more people aware, as many incorrectly believe that only certain towns have the potential for sinkhole issues.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Crazy stuff. Been hearing about it all day on the radio while I was out working.

Hopefully it makes more people aware, as many incorrectly believe that only certain towns have the potential for sinkhole issues.
The video was shocking in how fast it happened. I agree, people seem to be rather complacent on this sinkhole issue. Frankly, I don't understand how Pasco gets away with such massive development. Years ago we considered buying something in Dade City. At that time, we were told we'd have problems getting insurance, because Pasco was rated the worst county in Florida for sinkholes. This was early 2000s. Fast forward to today, and now look at the 54 corridor. Wall to wall. How do all those people get insurance?

Old 07-14-2017, 08:27 PM

274 posts, read 326,389 times
Some insurance companies do opt not to cover people in those areas. You have to find one that does. But it may cost you a fair amount. Some do sinkhole insurance as a separate rider you can choose and pay separately for.

You are probably best off if the house totally collapses and they have to pay. A small sinkhole problem is more controversial.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:08 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
I tried to get additional insurance for sinkhole and not even single insurance company offered it. I was told its no longer an option

Old 07-15-2017, 04:43 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,240,234 times
Those concerned may want to educate themselves on this type of damage. You do not need sinkhole coverage (expensive -
and for reasons there was a lot of fraud/abuse) for this type of damage, this is covered under catastrophic ground cover collapse (all Florida policies include). IMHO his type of loss is covered under catastrophic ground cover collapse as it clearly appears to meed the 4 criteria as outlined for such loss.

Quote:
Catastrophic ground cover collapse” is defined as “geological activity that results in all of the following:

1). The abrupt collapse of the ground cover;

2). A depression in the ground cover clearly visible to the naked eye;

3). Structural damage to the building including the foundation; and

4). The insured structure being condemned and ordered to be vacated by the government agency authorized by law to issue such an order for that structure.”
References:

Old 07-15-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Those concerned may want to educate themselves on this type of damage. You do not need sinkhole coverage (expensive -
and for reasons there was a lot of fraud/abuse) for this type of damage, this is covered under catastrophic ground cover collapse (all Florida policies include). IMHO his type of loss is covered under catastrophic ground cover collapse as it clearly appears to meed the 4 criteria as outlined for such loss.

Sinkhole Activity vs. Catastrophic Ground Collapse: Home Insurance in Florida

What is the difference between "Sinkhole" and "Catastrophic Ground Collapse"
Interesting. I did not know that. Seems like sinkhole insurance would be sort of redundant, then.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:22 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,240,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Interesting. I did not know that. Seems like sinkhole insurance would be sort of redundant, then.
Yeah, when I was looking for insurance here I spoke with my insurance agent about possible sinkhole losses. He informed me of the differences. My concern was in regards to the home being totally destroyed (like the home in LOL) and he told me my basic policy provided that coverage and that all policies in Florida had to cover those losses. He also explained the subtle difference in losses covered by Sinkhole coverage.

Sinkhole coverage was what created a lot of fraud and abuse. Previously homeowners could have minor damage (including cracks in driveways, sidewalks, patios), file a claim and then and pocket the claim money. The law was changed to prevent this type of abuse.

According to the 2015 Florida Statute 627.706, the coverages are defined as follows:

Catastrophic Ground Cover Collapse
Definition: geological activity that results in the following:
1. The abrupt collapse of the ground cover;
2. A depression in the ground cover clearly visible to the naked eye;
3. Structural damage to the covered building, including the foundation; and
4. The insured structure being condemned and ordered to be vacated by the governmental agency authorized by law to issue such an order for that structure.

Coverage: Contents coverage applies if there is a loss resulting from a catastrophic ground cover collapse. Damage consisting merely of the settling or cracking of a foundation, structure, or building does not constitute a loss resulting from a catastrophic ground cover collapse.
Sinkhole
Definition: settlement or systematic weakening of the earth supporting the covered building only if the settlement or systematic weakening results from contemporaneous movement or raveling of soils, sediments, or rock materials into subterranean voids created by the effect of water on a limestone or similar rock formation.

Coverage: A Sinkhole loss means structural damage to the covered building, including the foundation, caused by sinkhole activity. Contents coverage and additional living expenses apply only if there is structural damage to the covered building caused by sinkhole activity.
Source:Sinkhole vs Catastrophic Ground Cover Collapse Coverage
Other references:

Old 07-15-2017, 05:25 AM

Well, I don't know if you're bob or sherry, but I just wanna say, you are awesome. I have observed that you do your research and I thank you for passing it on to the rest of us.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:37 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
That's excellent information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay