Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times

Advertisements

Everyone's covered most of it. I avoid that entire stretch whenever possible. I'm down that way for work all the time. I take Gandy and the Selmon depending on where I am coming from and/or headed to at the time if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 05:33 AM

356 posts, read 302,384 times
As one who gets stuck in that nightmare on a daily basis, there are many reason, poor infrastructure planning, aggressive reckless drivers, and simply too many drivers. The decay of traffic conditions I have witnessed in the past 5 years is astounding. The solution? For me, the solution is going to be to move to STP or to get job in Tampa so I never ever have to cross any bridges in the TB area anymore.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
As one who gets stuck in that nightmare on a daily basis, there are many reason, poor infrastructure planning, aggressive reckless drivers, and simply too many drivers. The decay of traffic conditions I have witnessed in the past 5 years is astounding. The solution? For me, the solution is going to be to move to STP or to get job in Tampa so I never ever have to cross any bridges in the TB area anymore.
It was just as bad in the 80's, In fact it was worse on the bridge back then as there was only one bridge with two lanes on each side. So if there was a wreck you were really stuck. Gandy seems to be better 9 out of 10 times.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:36 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Its 4 lanes then merges into 2 , that might have something to do with it
This^^.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:46 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Coming from St. Pete to Tampa, four lanes becomes two, then a third lane opens with a fourth that needs to merge, then a fourth eventually opens. Then you have the New Yorkers who just got a licence for the first time at the age of 50+, then you have the people who cruise in the left lane, then you have the people who have no idea where they're going...

Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Add in everyone from North Pinellas coming over on 60, blend with all of those taking the Vet into town and toss lightly with a little Airport traffic - and Voila!

It's the Bay Area's version of every major Metro's 'Red Zone.'

Old 04-14-2017, 07:44 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
As bad as you think it is now, it can only get worse.

Fortunately for us, we live in Manatee County, and the drive for my husband into downtown Tampa is pretty smooth coming from this direction. He can take US 41 or I-75, then Leroy Selmon and drops him right to his parking garage. Yes, it is a long drive, but he rarely get stuck or in any kind of traffic jam. When we lived in Pasco, traffic became a nightmare. Commute took longer to go half the distance of the current commute.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:45 PM

120 posts, read 118,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvais View Post
People lane jumping is another issue and 1/2 the time no blinker and they don't look.
There's a fine line between lane jumping and trying to dodge the idiots to get somewhere. I change lanes alot on the interstate and usually get to where I'm going fairly quickly. I attribute this to 2 secret strategies: 1. Not using my phone while I'm driving, and 2. Paying attention to traffic around me. Crazy, I know.
I get so frustrated because most of the people on the road are on their phones, either talking or texting/surfing/etc. There's always people driving 50 in the left lane (on the phone) and the rest of the people are either driving 50 or 90 (also on the phone). There's a few of us that just watch the road, predict a path through the idiots, and maneuver. I don't understand how people are so freaking clueless while operating a vehicle. I've driven all over the country extensively, Florida has the worst drivers. I would rather drive through NYC at 5pm on a Friday than Tampa at 5pm on a Friday. I've done it many times and it's a significantly more intelligent drive. Traffic laws aren't followed or enforced here. People drive like complete morons and every year the bar gets lower and lower.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:02 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
People around here don't understand this.....

How To Keep A Safe Following Distance When Driving

They like to make sure there's not a foot of gap between cars then have to brake to keep from hitting the car in front of them (thus the constant brake lights)......there's a good flow to traffic expect for the idiots who weave to secure an extra few yards.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:27 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
I got the power to just rip around the fools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: