Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM

278 posts, read 434,576 times

Advertisements

I got my quote for my new rate from Safeco, a Liberty Mutual company.

Our two cars are both paid for. An 05 Toyota highlander and an 06 Honda Civic. Both reasonable cars.

The quote from Safeco for a SIX MONTH policy is going to be $1350. These are two older cars, paid for, and neither of us drive more than 8 miles for work.

I've gotten no other companies to quote anything less than $1125 for the six month time frame.

I've had no accidents or tickets in over 15 years, nor has my wife. Excellent credit. The rate hike was from $1150 last time I paid. Didn't do a thing wrong and got a tax hike.

I've talked with Farm Bureau, a couple of multi policy agents, and done geico and progressive. This is just absolutely ridiculous. Rant over. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Agree. Home and auto insurance is outrageous. Other than having a good driving record, the highest of deductibles, pair policy (car/home), a very good if not exceptional credit rating, I'm not sure what else a consumer can do other than to move to a less dense, non-hurricane region of the United States where drivers aren't maniacs and/or uninsured.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:42 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Oy Vey this is what I am afraid of...my son who is 22 got a quote of 1360 for SIX MONTHS with Progressive for Florida...I have 3 other cars to insure...We pay here in NJ for 4 cars total 3960 for SIX MONTHS....I am afraid to see what its going to be in Florida..We lived in S Florida and at the time from 09-2013 we paid 3150 for 3 cars for SIX MONTHS...then everytime it renewed it went up and I was told because of the amt of accidents and un-insured people it trickles down to us the consumer

Old 04-25-2017, 01:44 PM

14 posts, read 17,564 times
I agree. When we moved here from coastal VA, our insurance doubled from $425 for six months to $897 (USAA). That was with 2 paid off vehicles - 06 Honda and 05 Dodge Ram.

I did unstack our coverage which helped a little.

With the older vehicles, you could look at removing comprehensive if you think you would have out of pocket equivalent. Depends on KBB on your car (what you would get if it were totaled). We are probably going to do that on the 08 Impala we have in the next couple of years. The truck still holds enough value we won't for it.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:12 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
All one can really can do, is not live in this state. I've never lived anywhere besides Fla, that raises premiums so much. Raise them outrageously every 6 months. You can have perfect everything, and still fall victim to these costs. There is very little we can do about it. It's obvious many cannot keep up with the massive increases. There is only so much of one income, that can go to ins. Eventually many are priced out. It's a population problem and the state fails to address the issues. There is barely a police presence on the roads. Absolute worst drivers I have ever seen on earth. Lack of a proper highway system, and hot headed idiots running us all off the inadequate crowded roads. There is no way to get anywhere without driving . A recipe for high ins cost from all the claims that are filed. These arrogant state officials really need, to address this serious problem in Fla. I have heard there is a bill to no longer require pip coverage on premiums. See how far that will go. That would help to bring premiums down. Otherwise and I'm not kidding. The only option is not live here, when it's a struggle to pay this mandatory bill.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:14 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing806 View Post
I agree. When we moved here from coastal VA, our insurance doubled from $425 for six months to $897 (USAA). That was with 2 paid off vehicles - 06 Honda and 05 Dodge Ram.

I did unstack our coverage which helped a little.

With the older vehicles, you could look at removing comprehensive if you think you would have out of pocket equivalent. Depends on KBB on your car (what you would get if it were totaled). We are probably going to do that on the 08 Impala we have in the next couple of years. The truck still holds enough value we won't for it.
some good ideas there, thanks.....might be time to drive an older model car, keep liability only as require by law

Old 04-25-2017, 02:41 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Some years ago we had our insurance with American States Ins co. Safeco took them over and the cost went up and the coverage went down. We were moving, so we went with a different company when we got to AZ.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:50 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I keep shopping every time I need to renew and nobody has beat 21st Century for me.

Latest price is $1591 for 3 drivers, 3 vehicles. Two vehicles with comprehensive (2012 and 2014), one with collision (2006). No accidents/tickets, outstanding credit, homeowner, etc, etc, etc.

USAA is simply batstuff insane. They quoted me $2692 for the same coverage.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:25 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I keep shopping every time I need to renew and nobody has beat 21st Century for me.

Latest price is $1591 for 3 drivers, 3 vehicles. Two vehicles with comprehensive (2012 and 2014), one with collision (2006). No accidents/tickets, outstanding credit, homeowner, etc, etc, etc.

USAA is simply batstuff insane. They quoted me $2692 for the same coverage.
I dropped USAA this year over constant increases. I flat out told them their high rates, are no incentive for Vets to stay with them. I'm now with Farm Bureau. Have no idea yet how they will be with renewal rates. The charge a $54 annual membership fee. They had the cheapest rates over all the companies I called.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:31 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Mine went down when i sold the 2015 GT Mustange and got a C6 Vette. I had Esurance and had to change since they won't cover Vettes. I am paying $600 less a year now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay