Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 09:58 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Albertson's abandoned the Florida market a good 5-7 years ago. They closed down their distribution center at the same time as well.

RM
Albertsons's is still in Florida through three Safeway stores.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird45 View Post
I am not trying to argue but it is a lot more complected. If you look at the Tampa region there are only two TJ, 2-3 Sprouts and several Aldis (I am not sure of the number). All these stores are much smaller than an average Publix but probably do more volume per sq than a Publix. Given the population growth of the Tampa region, these stores could be added to the market and have minimal impact on Publix sales. Also these type of stores fill a niche that Publix may have not been serving. For example the Sprouts in Carrollwood probably has more of an impact on Whole Foods, Fresh Market and a few other local organic markets than on Publix.

I am not expert in retail sales, but unless a major player (i.e. Kroger) comes into the Florida market, Publix will continue to dominate this market. Changes in shopping habits (i.e. more eating out, delivery, etc) and food price reductions (http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...at-publix.html) probably have more to do with Publix sales than a few specialty stores opening in the Tampa region.
Either Walmart needs to open additional Walmart Neighborhood Market stores; or Kroger and Albertson's will have to grow Harris Teeter and Safeway organically respectively, or consider acquiring an existing supermarket participant. Southeastern Grocers (Winn-Dixie, Harvey's Supermarkets, and Fresco y Más) is a mess.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:01 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63SeaRay View Post
My opinion only : You don't know WHAT you're talking about in re PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS or any other market. I guess you think that's a "personal attack" as well.

Good luck with your so-called "expertise". I know better.

I don't know why you feel the need to insult me. Your credibility is zero when all you do is insult.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
You forgot to include Walmart, Target and all the other retailers that now sell food. Plus all the ethnic chains, independent stores etc. All cumulatively taking share from Publix. FYI Walmart is the largest seller of food in the USA, sells more food than Publix, Kroger, Safeway, all. You are delusional if you think the Aldi shopper and the Publix shopper and the Whole Foods shopper are all that different. Everything we know about how grocery shopping behavior has changed in the past 5-10 years shows that shoppers no longer rely on one store for all of their shopping and they are shopping the low end and the high end. Because they can't get everything at one store. A typical shopping journey includes 2 to 3 stores, and many times the traditional grocery store is not part of it. Organic produce from Sprouts, household cleaners from Walmart, frozen food from Aldi, prepared foods from Whole Foods, bulk stuff from BJ's etc. In Publix's case, those 2 to 3 stores in that new shopper journey are likely all new competitors in past 5-10 years.

And of course the online grocery competitors (including meal kits) are so vast in number they deserve their own thread.

As far as new eating habits, I agree that more people are eating out, which includes buying prepared foods at stores. Publix's prepared foods section is extremely limited and not in keeping with "healthy eating trends." For example, it baffles the mind as to why every Publix store does not have a salad bar, preferably with organics (which is where the eating trends are going)? That alone would increase customer traffic and impulse purchases.

If you read the entire thread you would have seen all this discussed already.
Walmart is included if it is Walmart Neighborhood Market supermarkets, Walmart Supercenter hypermarkets, and Sam's Club wholesale clubs.

Target is included if it is SuperTarget and Target Greatland hypermarkets.

A discount department store with a grocery section and without bakery, delicatessen, meat, and produce service departments is not considered a grocery store.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Publix is fortunate to be in a fast growing state. It has some innate advantages like familiarity, extremely nice employees and a great overall shopping experience. It just needs a few tweaks to change with the changing tastes of people ie: more prepared foods (which are more profitable), a better bakery selection. I am not sure what they would get rid of to accommodate these changes.
Publix has been expanding prepared food items to its delicatessens in new and existing stores.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Walmart is included if it is Walmart Neighborhood Market supermarkets, Walmart Supercenter hypermarkets, and Sam's Club wholesale clubs.

Target is included if it is SuperTarget and Target Greatland hypermarkets.

A discount department store with a grocery section and without bakery, delicatessen, meat, and produce service departments is not considered a grocery store.
Nobody is calling Walmart and Target a "grocery store."

We are talking about market share.

We are talking about the highest market share in the U.S. food retail sector. That would belong to Walmart.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...north-america/

Old 05-17-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Walmart has a shopping experience of 1 on a scale of 1-10 and Publix is a 10 as far as clean stores, friendly employees and nice selection. I go to Walmart for a few items that are MUCH cheaper but I dread going there even though its one of the nicest Walmarts I have ever been to. Target has a limited selection and sticks primarily to shelf stable foods. There are a few things I buy there (only on sale) but they have constantly raised prices. Shopping today requires visits to different stores.
I have been to Walmart Supercenter and Walmart Neighborhood Market stores are cleaner, have better service, and have better selections than BI-LO and Winn-Dixie.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 05-17-2017 at 10:40 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix has been expanding prepared food items to its delicatessens in new and existing stores.
Please elaborate on what exactly "expanding prepared food items" means.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:11 AM

Meanwhile, here comes Lidl. Coming soon to Florida.

1st U.S. Lidl Stores to Debut June 15 | ProgressiveGrocer

From today's Lidl press release:

ARLINGTON, Va., May 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- After much anticipation, Lidl, one of the world's largest retailers, announced today it will open its first stores in the United States on Thursday, June 15. Lidl also unveiled the location of 20 stores that will open during the summer of 2017. By next summer, Lidl plans to open up to 100 stores across the East Coast, creating a total of 5,000 U.S. jobs.

"We are excited to open our first stores in the United States in a few short weeks," said Brendan Proctor, President and CEO of Lidl US. "Lidl is grocery shopping refreshed, retooled and rethought to make life better for all our customers. From our selection of sustainable products like our certified fresh and frozen seafood to top-quality wines from around the world available at market-beating prices, our team puts extra effort and attention into each product we put on our shelves. When customers shop at Lidl, they will experience less complexity, lower prices, better choices, and greater confidence."

Rethink Grocery Shopping
Lidl will offer a simple and efficient approach to grocery shopping, which will mean huge savings for Lidl shoppers. When entering a store this summer, shoppers can expect to get top quality goods and groceries at up to 50 percent less than other supermarkets in the United States.

They can also expect to see the following:

Newly-Built, Beautiful Stores and Easy-to-Shop Layouts: All Lidl stores opening this summer will be newly constructed facilities, featuring a manageable, easy-to-shop layout of 20,000 square feet with only six aisles.

Fresh Baked Goods: Customers will be greeted each day with the smell of Lidl's top-quality breads and pastries, which are baked fresh throughout the day. A bakery will be located at the entrance of each store.

Healthy, Sustainable Choices: Lidl is committed to offering a wide range of healthy and sustainable options. All fresh and frozen seafood in Lidl's everyday assortment will be certified sustainable by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP), or the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC). Lidl's high quality private label products will not have certified synthetic colors, trans fats or added MSG.

Organic and Gluten Free Options: Lidl will carry a variety of organic and gluten-free items including organic fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy, and packaged food items, which will all be available at the lowest possible prices.

Lidl's Top Quality Products: About 90 percent of the high quality groceries available at Lidl will be exclusive brand products. Each product on Lidl shelves will be rigorously tested to ensure that it meets our high quality standards. Several items have already won acclaim in the United States, including award-winning cheeses recognized in the 2017 Los Angeles International Dairy Competition.

Lidl Surprises: Lidl offers an ever-changing selection of non-food products each week that will be in stores for a limited time. The selection will include fitness gear, small kitchen appliances, toys, and outdoor furniture, among other non-food items.

Store Hours: Lidl is open during prime shopping times. Stores will be open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Sunday.

About Lidl
Lidl operates about 10,000 stores in 27 countries throughout Europe, offering customers the highest quality fresh produce, meat, bakery items and a wide array of household products at the lowest possible prices. Lidl first established its U.S. headquarters in Arlington County, Virginia in June 2015. Since then, it has announced regional headquarters and distribution centers in Spotsylvania County, Virginia; Alamance County, North Carolina and Cecil County, Maryland.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
I like Publix, but like other retail businesses, they are feeling the heat from both low cost rivals and upper end retail as well, and soon Amazon. They need to adjust. They are not in immediate danger because their service is very good, but, as they say, times they are a changin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay