Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 10:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Nobody is calling Walmart and Target a "grocery store."

We are talking about market share.

We are talking about the highest market share in the U.S. food retail sector. That would belong to Walmart.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...north-america/
You mentioned Walmart, Target, and other retailers now selling food. I responded which of their stores would qualify as grocery stores.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Please elaborate on what exactly "expanding prepared food items" means.
These are meals made fresh in the store, and they are packaged and sold at the store.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I like Publix, but like other retail businesses, they are feeling the heat from both low cost rivals and upper end retail as well, and soon Amazon. They need to adjust. They are not in immediate danger because their service is very good, but, as they say, times they are a changin'.
Publix has done well with changes over the years. They know what they are doing.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,846,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
You mentioned Walmart, Target, and other retailers now selling food. I responded which of their stores would qualify as grocery stores.
Most Walmarts and Targets sell food, even the non-supercenter stores. I was in a tiny old Walmart in Seffner last month, sells fresh food. Most everyone sells food these days. Tens of thousands of retailers now sell fresh and packaged food. From Walgreens to Dollar Tree to Sam's Club to Wawa. I think the lines have obviously blurred. You can focus on the grocery segment, but I think it's more beneficial to focus on the food retail segment. Many consumers say they are going to the grocery store when they go to Aldi, BJ's or Costco.
You can ostensibly shop for everything you need at Dollar General. Is it a grocery store? No, but it's a food retailer.

You can focus on the grocery segment, but I am focused on the explosion in food retailers taking share from the grocery segment.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
These are meals made fresh in the store, and they are packaged and sold at the store.
Publix has made no meaningful changes to its prepared foods departments. They could have added a salad bar and a hot food bar by now. Perhaps a taco station, or a cooked seafood counter. Perhaps an in-store restaurant with seating.

Instead they hope shoppers just keep eating fried chicken and subs.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Most Walmarts and Targets sell food, even the non-supercenter stores. I was in a tiny old Walmart in Seffner last month, sells fresh food. Most everyone sells food these days. Tens of thousands of retailers now sell fresh and packaged food. From Walgreens to Dollar Tree to Sam's Club to Wawa. I think the lines have obviously blurred. You can focus on the grocery segment, but I think it's more beneficial to focus on the food retail segment. Many consumers say they are going to the grocery store when they go to Aldi, BJ's or Costco.
You can ostensibly shop for everything you need at Dollar General. Is it a grocery store? No, but it's a food retailer.

You can focus on the grocery segment, but I am focused on the explosion in food retailers taking share from the grocery segment.
Discount department stores Target and Walmart sell grocery items in their grocery sections. Actual in-store supermarkets would be in their SuperTarget, Target GreatLand, and Walmart Supercenter hypermarkets; Walmart Neighborhood Market supermarkets; and Sam's Club wholesale clubs.

Dollar General sells grocery items, but is is neither a grocery store nor a food retailer. It is what it is: a dollar store.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Publix has made no meaningful changes to its prepared foods departments. They could have added a salad bar and a hot food bar by now. Instead they hope shoppers just keep eating fried chicken and subs.
Have you been to Publix recently?

Old 05-17-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Discount department stores Target and Walmart sell grocery items in their grocery sections. Actual in-store supermarkets would be in their SuperTarget, Target GreatLand, and Walmart Supercenter hypermarkets; Walmart Neighborhood Market supermarkets; and Sam's Club wholesale clubs.

Dollar General sells grocery items, but is is neither a grocery store nor a food retailer. It is what it is: a dollar store.
Dollar General is not a food retailer? I guess I must be hallucinating when I walk in and see this. Dollar General actually has more stores than Walmart, the most stores in the U.S. All sell food.
Attached Thumbnails
Publix is struggling against competition-dgm.jpg  

Old 05-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Have you been to Publix recently?
I go to Publix 2 or 3 times a week.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Dollar General is not a food retailer? I guess I must be hallucinating when I walk in and see this.
A Dollar General Market sells meat and produce items as a hybrid dollar/limited assortment grocery store. There is a difference between a Dollar General store and a Dollar General Market store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay