Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 05:10 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Wow. You have to go through the state just to apply for a job at Chrysler? Is that a nightmare to deal with like most government offices?
I have no idea about how they process job applications through the unemployment office, I'm sure they have a division set up for that because of the size of the big3. The problem with today's workers is that they like to job hop instead of staying at one job and work their way up, many people today want to start at the top instead of working their way up the ladder. I stayed at my last job fo 30 years I had a wife and kids to feed I didn't keep changing jobs I stuck it out. Employers don't like it when they see so many jobs in a short period of time on a job application because you might leave to if they hire you. I'm 62 yrs old and I retired at age 55 because I had worked 40 years already 30 at my last job. And my friend will retire in 10 years from Chrysler when he gets his 30 years in he will be in his early 50's. And the north has always had higher paying jobs than the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 06:42 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt518 View Post
I'm not seeing this philosophy where I work. In fact, it is very much the opposite. The employer pays a certain wage to do a certain job in certain conditions. If people don't apply, or are not accepting those terms, then the employer keeps looking. If newly hired employees decide to leave due to these conditions, the employer attempts little retention. I largely work alongside ex-convicts because they are unable to get consideration for many jobs and the employer is willing to hire them. This is one of the few jobs they can get, and in some cases they violate their release terms if their employment is terminated, either by the employer or on their own accord. The employer has even recruited at homeless facilities to get people to work for these conditions. The conditions here don't change. The personnel and where they are recruited does.
Seems like the employer has workers willing to do the job at the agreed pay. What am I missing? As long as the employer can find workers at said wage he will continue to do so. That's how it works. When his supply of workers stop, then he will have to decide what needs to change. Looks like he is not at that point yet.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:19 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I have no idea about how they process job applications through the unemployment office, I'm sure they have a division set up for that because of the size of the big3. The problem with today's workers is that they like to job hop instead of staying at one job and work their way up, many people today want to start at the top instead of working their way up the ladder. I stayed at my last job fo 30 years I had a wife and kids to feed I didn't keep changing jobs I stuck it out. Employers don't like it when they see so many jobs in a short period of time on a job application because you might leave to if they hire you. I'm 62 yrs old and I retired at age 55 because I had worked 40 years already 30 at my last job. And my friend will retire in 10 years from Chrysler when he gets his 30 years in he will be in his early 50's. And the north has always had higher paying jobs than the south.
The problem is today it's a bit different. The jobs pay low and don't offer much raise and you're forced to look for a better job or a second job and many times layoffs and other reasons they force you out.

Employers are not loyal anymore and would rather just replace you when you make too much.

The jobs like you described UAW and make big money and good benefits are really hard to find unless it's a government job.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:23 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You are correct my old landlord is still taking KB homes to court, his townhouse looks like a bunch of amateurs built it and some how the city inspectors thinks that alright.
My brother works a job that requires him to go into a lot of these brand new neighborhoods. He's pointed out many homes, less than five years old, that are cracking all around every side. That, and the food around the window frames aren't treated, so the window frames like to bow.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
My brother works a job that requires him to go into a lot of these brand new neighborhoods. He's pointed out many homes, less than five years old, that are cracking all around every side. That, and the food around the window frames aren't treated, so the window frames like to bow.
All about quantity over quality and $$$.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:39 PM

316 posts, read 666,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Seems like the employer has workers willing to do the job at the agreed pay. What am I missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrue518
This is one of the few jobs they can get, and in some cases they violate their release terms if their employment is terminated, either by the employer or on their own accord.
I guess many, if not most, would just rather not go back to being incarcerated. It's not about their willingness to do the job at the agreed pay, it's that they are required to.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt518 View Post
I guess many, if not most, would just rather not go back to being incarcerated. It's not about their willingness to do the job at the agreed pay, it's that they are required to.
or because of a bad decision they made earlier in their life, they have limited opportunity's for work.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:18 PM

428 posts, read 416,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
That's why they keep building all those 350K and up houses around tampa bay. Those burger flipping jobs pay well!
Investors are willing to pay.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
Investors are willing to pay.
True. Is there any stat on how many of those homes are rented out in the region? Down here a lot of people own houses to simply rent out. I hope another economic downturn doesn't hit because people and banks will get hit HARD with those expensive homes. My aunt who at one time was fairly well off and just sold her business had a house in Naples she was trying to sell for 750k when the downturn hit. Took almost two years and I think she ended up selling for just under 400k and loosing her arse. She bought another home up in Tampa while she was trying to sell her Naples home still, and then combined with loosing a lot in the stock market she lost everything including that house in Tampa because she was stuck making two house payments for awhile and lost a ton in investments.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 PM

163 posts, read 183,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You have to have a population of people who are educated to do those jobs. Let's face it, that's not FL. The state of FL is pretty much(other than the medical field) known for service industry jobs. It also has one of the highest high school dropout rates in the nation.

You can't expect companies to bring in high paying professional jobs, if you can't supply their demand.
Florida churns out plenty of educated graduates each year - The University of Florida is ranked among the top universities in the world and is one of the five largest universities in the US. Those graduates all have to go somewhere to work, and they could come here if there were decent jobs with salaries that were consistent with the national market. The Tampa Bay area needs to do more to attract flagship employers that would keep those graduates in Florida and attract them to this area. They would buy/rent all the condos being built up now, and eventually buy the homes as the baby boomers age out of them. They would patronize restaurants and keep them busy during the low season. In my opinion, the Tampa Bay area has more to offer new graduates than any other area of Florida but is just lacking in employment opportunities.

I know that a large problem we have, especially in Pinellas, is lack of space for office parks, but there are plenty of areas downtown St. Pete that could be developed into a mixed use high rise of retail on bottom and office space on top. The City needs to partner with a large employer to offer incentives and commit to providing space. One more big employer that attracted hundreds of recent graduates each year could change the entire trajectory of St. Pete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay