Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:41 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

During the week I have noticed for the last couple of months that there is a man in Wesley Chapel riding a motor bike who is taking every sign that is put next to the road. For sale, rent, garage sale, etc signs. He is riding on Wells Road (ther is where I first saw him) , Curley Road and than he takes SR 54 East. He takes the signs put them behind his back between his back and the back support on his motor bike.

I have mixed feelings every day I see him doing this. Mixed feelings because of himtaking signs from Bridgwater residents who are deperite to sell their homes and others to get new neighbors. People on the edge of foreclosure not having moeny to pay for an add in the newspaper and trying everything to get out of financial trouble. He also takes the signs at Chapel Pines, etc. all the communities where he drives by.

I know it is looking beter without signs etc, but I feel for the people in todays economy who are trying to do whatever they can. In my opinion, I would give them a break. Every day i see this man with his grey beard on his motor bike taking these signs I'm thinking the same.
He is not from the HOA because he is taking them at more than one community, who he is I don't know but I see him riding with many signs every day.

Can you let me know what you think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:22 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Not sure about Pasco county but in Hills. county there was an ordinance against putting signs out on right of ways. If the city took them down, you were suppose to be charged for them.

I totally understand both sides of the story and my answer didn't help.. Maybe he is just trying to keep the area looking nice, if not maybe he has a sign company

Old 03-10-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Not sure about Pasco county but in Hills. county there was an ordinance against putting signs out on right of ways. If the city took them down, you were suppose to be charged for them.

I totally understand both sides of the story and my answer didn't help.. Maybe he is just trying to keep the area looking nice, if not maybe he has a sign company
I've read about it in the newspaper but later there was an article stating there isn't a law that can really fine people who put the signs out there. So for a while there were no signs and after the article people started again. At least in Pasco. But for Bridgewater with all the bad news I feel horrible and hope the people who are stuck there are going to get a better time soon and if signs can help to sell other properties I would say " go fo it" and let this man target area's who are not so hard hit. Maybe it is wrong for me to say this, but to see him taken these signs every day between 7 and 7.30 am makes me feel I want to help these poor people. Maybe it is hypocrite as well becuae I'm not going to buy over there.....

Old 03-10-2008, 08:33 AM

849 posts, read 3,527,969 times
Default he may mean well but

it is still stealing. The law doesn't cover every moral nuance. We are supposed to be civilized and that would mean we understand the concept of "do unto others" even if we are not "religious" per se. It seems that those words ahve been twisted to mean "if someone does you wrong, get them back." How sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
During the week I have noticed for the last couple of months that there is a man in Wesley Chapel riding a motor bike who is taking every sign that is put next to the road. For sale, rent, garage sale, etc signs. He is riding on Wells Road (ther is where I first saw him) , Curley Road and than he takes SR 54 East. He takes the signs put them behind his back between his back and the back support on his motor bike.

I have mixed feelings every day I see him doing this. Mixed feelings because of himtaking signs from Bridgwater residents who are deperite to sell their homes and others to get new neighbors. People on the edge of foreclosure not having moeny to pay for an add in the newspaper and trying everything to get out of financial trouble. He also takes the signs at Chapel Pines, etc. all the communities where he drives by.

I know it is looking beter without signs etc, but I feel for the people in todays economy who are trying to do whatever they can. In my opinion, I would give them a break. Every day i see this man with his grey beard on his motor bike taking these signs I'm thinking the same.
He is not from the HOA because he is taking them at more than one community, who he is I don't know but I see him riding with many signs every day.

Can you let me know what you think about this?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
In my opinion, he's stealing and should be reported. If the signs are illegal, is it his job to take the signs down? Is it his job to enforce the laws?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
In my opinion, he's stealing and should be reported. If the signs are illegal, is it his job to take the signs down? Is it his job to enforce the laws?
Who do you report this person to?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Very sad to say, but probably the country sheriff's office. Hate to do it, because they probably have a lot of better things to do. At least you can feel that you did your part as a citizen. Signs cost money. I'm sure the people putting them up are probably upset to keep seeing them taken down.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
Default Before calling the law

Before you contact the law, please check with Pasco County Code Enforcement --> Who do I call about ...? (http://www.pascocountyfl.net/omb/servicelist.html - broken link)

It is possible they will say it's against the law to have bandit signs on the county right of way and this guy is doing the job for them.

If not against HOA rules, they can post on the common area of the community.

I've had lots of signs stolen. It's part of the cost of doing business in real estate. My gripe is if they pick them up and my number is on them, why can't they call me? I'll be glad to apologize, then go pick them up.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Before you contact the law, please check with Pasco County Code Enforcement --> Who do I call about ...? (http://www.pascocountyfl.net/omb/servicelist.html - broken link)

It is possible they will say it's against the law to have bandit signs on the county right of way and this guy is doing the job for them.

If not against HOA rules, they can post on the common area of the community.

I've had lots of signs stolen. It's part of the cost of doing business in real estate. My gripe is if they pick them up and my number is on them, why can't they call me? I'll be glad to apologize, then go pick them up.
Exactly right. What is also bothering me is the grin on the mans face like he is having power over something. I wonder where he leaves all these signs. He must have tons of them.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,960 times
Default Signs are unsightly

Last week here in Hernando Cty, I spotted yellow signs they were on every major roadway advertising for sale by owner, I got curious and drove around the roadways near my home, I counted 45 of these signs on every corner I have not priced the signs, but someone bought them, wrote on them, left a phone number and name of company trying to unload 4/3/2 within two days they were all gone, I'm assuming that code enforcement came along and picked them up........what's wrong with people advertising in the newspaper or the local business montly magazines? I think the signs are annoying, unsightly and in some cases have blocked views for traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay