Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 03:43 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,399 times

Advertisements

If you do, what is the heat source?

If you do not heat your pool in winter, do you use it all winter?

If it is too cold for part of the winter, how many months is it too cold?

At what water temperature do you consider it too cold to swim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 05:20 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post

That will vary from person person. I don't like it below 80. We also don't have winters anymore and will just get hotter over the years so there will be less need for heat pete. Just shut it down for 2 months if water temps below 74 bother you.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:03 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,785 times
Since I moved down here, I find that I don't like the water temperature to be below 80.

I eventually want to get a heater. I don't think I would heat the pool year round. I'd fire it up from time to time as needed, say the week of Christmas or whatever if family comes down so we can swim.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:52 AM

18 posts, read 31,392 times
WE use a gas heater, and never below 82. We also use an effective but inexpensive pool cover. it works !

Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
Tend not to use the pool much in the winter, simply because the days are so much shorter. Usually by March we start using it more, but in Dec and Jan, not so much. Cool snaps, cool nights, etc...lack of actual "heat" in the air isn't conducive of feelings of "gee, i wanna jump in the pool"....cuz in winter time it's usually in the 70s, maybe very low 80s.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,280 times
No heater on my pool. It would get to be expensive to heat the water as there is no gas in my community. So option is electrical (very expensive), drop in a propane tank and refill it (learned from my neighbor this is very expensive too), or solar (considering this, but really don't want those panels on my tile roof).

I wait for water to hit 80 by natural heating from the sun. I managed to get in this week in April for a short period and then May has been above 80. I prefer it to be 85 I was able to swim in the pool until mid-October of last year. During the cooler months (Nov - Mar) it's still nice to turn the sheer decents and bubblers on and sit around the pool to relax.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 AM

529 posts, read 1,174,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post

FYI: I am north of you, in Ocala, so your mileage may vary.

I have an approx 16 x 32 pool with solar panels on the roof facing south and west. I do use a pool cover on a reel once the nights start cooling down consistently to lower 70's/ upper 60's. That is usually around Thanksgiving. I also have a bird cage. I prefer the water warm at about 90. I can maintain that 90 +/- usually until around Christmas/ New Years. Now I admit that I keep it covered unless I am in it, and I do have a supply of plush robes and a fire pit right outside the cage to help once we get out. :-). But sooner or later, the pool cools off to the upper 70's and I won't use it. The short days during Jan/Feb/March just won't allow much solar heating so it's usually mid April until I venture back in and late April/ early May before the cover is put away for the season. I would think you would do well in Gulfport with the panels, depending on your house orientation and trees.
I do love the solar panels and the fact that i just set the temp and forget it unless we are expecting a freeze. And it costs nothing.

Dax

Old 06-21-2017, 01:05 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post

I have an approx 16 x 32 pool with solar panels on the roof facing south and west. I do use a pool cover on a reel once the nights start cooling down consistently to lower 70's/ upper 60's. That is usually around Thanksgiving. I also have a bird cage. I prefer the water warm at about 90. I can maintain that 90 +/- usually until around Christmas/ New Years. Now I admit that I keep it covered unless I am in it, and I do have a supply of plush robes and a fire pit right outside the cage to help once we get out. :-). But sooner or later, the pool cools off to the upper 70's and I won't use it. The short days during Jan/Feb/March just won't allow much solar heating so it's usually mid April until I venture back in and late April/ early May before the cover is put away for the season. I would think you would do well in Gulfport with the panels, depending on your house orientation and trees.
I do love the solar panels and the fact that i just set the temp and forget it unless we are expecting a freeze. And it costs nothing.

Dax
Our pool will be same size as yours (installation soon). How many solar panels do you have; are they just for the pool or do you use them for all electric needs?

Old 06-21-2017, 01:30 PM

529 posts, read 1,174,235 times
My panels do not generate electricity. Pool water is diverted to the roof, circulated through, and returned to the pool. The temperature sensors trigger the diverter valve. When the pool has reached the desired temperature, it closes the valve. If the pool cools off, it reopens it. My pool pump is a single speed 1 1/2 horse that is plenty powerful enough to pump water up to the roof and through the 6 south- facing and the 3 west-facing panels. Because I have the majority of my panels facing south, I can really take advantage of the limited sunlight during the winter months. Between that and the saltwater generator and cartridge filter, I think it is an ideal setup for my ease of use.

Congrats on the new pool!
Dax

Old 06-21-2017, 01:39 PM

440 posts, read 595,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post

Dax
I have a similar sized pool, i know mine is 13,500 gallons, but i was also thinking about doing the solar panels as that is a much cheaper option than a heater plus it uses no electricity. I only have limited sunshine to my pool from around 10:30am-5pm, so it hasn't even had a chance to get above 80 degrees yet. Just curious how much your setup costs and did you do it yourself or have a professional install it all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay