Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:16 PM

278 posts, read 435,710 times

Advertisements

This is my first summer as a homeowner in Tampa. I'm curious as to how efficient, or inefficient my air conditioner really is.

During the cooler months (I moved in during late December) my electric bill was about $70. I'm in a single story, 2100 sq ft. house.

My last bill was $150.

Today - I had my AC set at 74, and it didn't get to 74 until after dark. I don't know if it was so hot outside that it just never caught up, or if my AC is inefficient.

During the week, we typically keep the AC at around 77 during the day when no one is here, but it seems to take forever to bring it down to 74 when we get home.

What about all of you? How's your AC working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:05 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,798,572 times
I never set it below 77, but I do use ceiling fans as needed.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:34 PM

621 posts, read 1,617,774 times
Do you know the tonnage of the unit? How old is the unit? Are there any leaks/holes/tears in the ductwork leaking conditioned air into the attic?

Old 06-26-2017, 03:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,498,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
This is my first summer as a homeowner in Tampa. I'm curious as to how efficient, or inefficient my air conditioner really is.

During the cooler months (I moved in during late December) my electric bill was about $70. I'm in a single story, 2100 sq ft. house.

My last bill was $150.

Today - I had my AC set at 74, and it didn't get to 74 until after dark. I don't know if it was so hot outside that it just never caught up, or if my AC is inefficient.

During the week, we typically keep the AC at around 77 during the day when no one is here, but it seems to take forever to bring it down to 74 when we get home.

I have an older (20 yr) home but new AC unit cooling about 1900 sq feet. I keep the thermostat at 78. My bills have been similar.

Oddest thing, even though I've been out of the house for nearly 2 months and set the AC to 80-82 while away and cut off the h20 heater and other electronics, my bill is still $150. Obviously the house is empty and the electric bill should be low, but it isn't.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:40 PM

984 posts, read 2,715,258 times
We gave up on trying to keep our place that low when we got the first bill. 77-78 is comfortable once you get used to it and a lot cheaper

Old 06-26-2017, 03:53 PM

4,489 posts, read 3,870,145 times
I am always hot, swelteringly hot. I barely spend time outside between the months of May and September unless it involves going to a pool or cold spring. I just went outside to pull some weeds and started sweating and immediately come back inside. That was a BAD idea.

I have a 7 year old Trane heat pump, I think it's 3 tons (either 2.5 or 3, I forgot but I can find out if anyone wants to know).
I work from home so the A/C is always running.

The thermostat is set at 74 during day, at night it's set at 73. I have several outdoor and indoor gauges for temp, humidity etc. and I monitor them meticulously. Currently in my home the temp is 74 and the humidity is 46%. Outside it's 86 degrees and 69% humidity.

When I travel, I leave it set at 75 mostly for the pet sitter and dog. But even if I am going to be gone for 2 weeks I leave A/C on. Turning off the A/C or turning it up to 78-80+ in summer in Florida is asking for trouble, in my opinion (many will disagree). First of all, your refrigerator works much harder. Your interior woodwork, artwork, books, clothes, papers, electronics are not getting the dehumidification they need in this climate if the A/C is barely running. It starts to smell stuffy. Your fruits and vegetables on the counter will rot quickly. When you turn the A/C back on it has to work extremely hard to cool off the house. Etc.

I have a one story 1963 concrete block ranch, 1900 square feet, added insulation to the attic. I noticed when I added the insulation the A/C ran a lot less. This house was built with sheet-metal ducts that are still in perfect condition to this day. House is all electric and I run the wash at least once day. House has original single pane windows, original slider, original wood exterior doors, basically everything in this house is origginal to 1963 except the appliances, A/C, roof, paint, floors.

My bill is never more than $150.

My house faces north and has a lot of tree shade from grandfather oaks. Half is shaded, half is not.

I have lots of experience with A/C units in Florida. It is better for the A/C to run a lot (it removes humidity) than for it to turn on only for short bursts of time (humidity stays, and/or you develop mold). If you are having that, or if you are setting your thermostat to 74 and it's not ever getting there, you need a new A/C (you have the wrong system for your house). And you need a new A/C with the right tonnage. Of course the bigger the house, the more money you will spend to cool it, no matter what unit you have. But you should first start off with the right size unit for your home and go from there.

Last edited by sinatras; 06-26-2017 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 04:48 PM

473 posts, read 549,306 times
I have a 2300sqft single level home built in 85 with crappy single pane original windows and crappy doors. AC unit is 5 yrs old but it struggle to keep the temp cool sometime especially the southside of the house near those windows. The center of the house where the thermostat is cool but sitting near those windows and you can feel the heat. I finally changed out those windows and a couple doors and it's made a huge difference. Sliding doors are next.
I set it to 78 during the day and 77 at night. I'd take it down one degree further but the wife is screaming bloody cold murder so that's the best I can muster with my negotiation skills.
My electric bill is $120 on low side and can shoot up to $350 on the high side when all the kids are home and all have their heater computer on all day. House is all electric with no gas so all that cooking and laundry take its toll as well.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:08 PM

30,478 posts, read 21,343,248 times
Quote:

My last bill was $150.

My house is under a 1000 sq ft for the A/C and the unit is 3 years old. My avg power bill is around 90 in the winter and 130 to 170 in the summer. I am right on the gulf and have more more sunshine than you do on avg in the summer. My bedroom never gets below 81 at nite so i have a portable for the bedroom to get it to 78 just before i go to bed. The computer and amps and plasma set all put out heat pete.

I have another 400 sq ft that has a wall unit. I just store stuff out there anyways.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 PM

7,789 posts, read 6,408,183 times
We set ours at 78 and I installed ceiling fans in every room. The fans make a big difference.

Folks that are new to Florida commonly take a couple of years to get acclimated.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:48 PM

45 posts, read 54,221 times
Quote:

My last bill was $150.

How old is the house? If older, definitely check the ductwork (Squirrels love it). TECO provides a free energy inspection (includes ductwork). Also Energy efficient rated windows/doors help a lot. We keep our temp at 78-79 when home and let it ride up to 81 when we are gone for the day. Like others stated, keep that humidity down in the house and use those ceiling fans.

Also, you might want to look into TECO's "leveling program which averages your last 12 monthly billing periods so you can pay the same amount for your electric service each month, despite seasonal variability".

Even with a pool, our bill usually is $150 except for this month, it was only $11!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: