U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:12 PM

1,270 posts, read 3,824,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay B View Post
I'm new here from NH. My husbnd transfered to Tampa. We live in a rental for now in Lutz, near Land O' Lakes... close to Tampa. I work (teach) in Lutz just for the remainder of this year. Chapel Hills seemed like a good area. Land O' Lakes seems pretty good too. Lutz... well... I don't like living in this house because of the location and trouble getting on to 54. Traffic can be pretty heavy. We actually are buying a place up in Brooksviille/Weeki Wachee... it's about an hour from Tampa airport. Long commute for my husband. I hear more negatives about the schools in Hernando (up there) but I am not sure if I will listen to all of that. I heard negatives about Florida education in general but have been to a number of schools that are A rated (including the one I work in) and am impressed with those schools. I suspect there's similarly decent schools in Hernando as well. As you go up further north (like we are) you will find more bugs. Being in a neighborhood/town closer to Tampa you will get less bugs. We had a few in our house mostly because our screen doesn't close all the way and the dogs can get it open wider. Sounds like you'd be better off staying closer to Tampa. Unlike you, what gets me is traffic issues and weather/storms. I don't like bugs and gators... have yet to see a gator and we have a lake behind our rental. If you look further north at empty homes with pools, look up when you go into the screened areas. Spiders like to make their homes in those places. Hope this helps a bit.
I, too live in Weeki Wachee (Royal Highlands). My son goes to Pine Grove Elementary, and I'm happy with it. I find the atmosphere to be very family oriented. The school's main problem is overcrowding since the population boomed over the past couple of years, so there's a lot of portable classrooms. But, I believe they'll be constructing new classroom space over the summer. I think Florida schools are better (or maybe more accountable) than they were back in the day because of FCAT. Although, maybe too much emphasis is placed on it. I don't really know, my son is only in 2nd grade.

With regard to bugs, I actually don't think it's as bad as I thought it would be (I was more familiar with the east coast of Florida before we moved here - did NOT like the humidity & bugginess there). With the exception of the twice annual lovebug visits, I really can't complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 PM

5 posts, read 12,962 times
Does anyone have a good and reasonable extermiantor for the pasco area?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,120,035 times
I didn't read the other posts, but your post is a bit insulting! We don't have bugs bigger than your head unless your head is less than an inch in diameter!!!!!!!! seriously!
I find it hard to believe there are no roaches or bees in Milwaukee!!!! or bears! bigger than my house!!!!!

Of course there is Pest Control...Florida also is one of the Greenest states out there.........FYI So, unless you plan on living in some dump, I am pretty sure that you could handle "our bugs" just as you would your own up there!!!!!

Some schools are bad but if you do your re-search you may find one that will suit your needs just fine! Schools ALONE are not supposed to handle the education of your kids! sorry, but I don't care if the school has a good or bad reputation, if your child doesn't apply him/herself then we the school can't do much about it!

Palm Harbor is very nice and has very nice communities, New Port Ritchey seems to have a much older population, retired communities etc....I would pick Palm Harbor for sure. How about commuting? you know that there isn't much walking to stuff around FL.....I hope....a car is a must....so ideally you would want to be as close to your job as possible. I would be more concerned about that than BUGS!

Old 09-17-2009, 07:16 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,819,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I didn't read the other posts, but your post is a bit insulting! We don't have bugs bigger than your head unless your head is less than an inch in diameter!!!!!!!! seriously!
Hahaha - the visual I got from reading this really made me laugh! Made me think of the "pinheads" from the circus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or