Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 08:06 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, 99.9% of the politicians are just full of, well, you know. The other .1% are being groomed to spew the same, well, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Let's face it, 99.9% of the politicians are just full of, well, you know. The other .1% are being groomed to spew the same, well, you know.
Agree^^ Then to add to the mix is a main stream media with their own agenda! what a country..

Old 08-29-2017, 08:33 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
"Remember if you like your doctor you can keep him.
IF you like your insurance company you can keep it.
Premiums will be reduced by an average of $2500."
I've had my same doctor, my premiums haven't changed, nor has my insurance company. He didn't lie to me....

Still waiting for your guy to replace and repeal ACA all on the same day with something better at a fraction of the price while building a wall that Mexico will pay for.......he said both things hundreds of times but we haven't seen any of that, have we?

Old 08-29-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
You know that aerial photo they keep showing of flooded Houston and South Texas? Photos like this?

I have spent all weekend with that photo in my mind, except not picturing Houston streets, but picturing Tampa streets instead.

This is what Tampa Bay is going to look like when we get a major storm with storm surge.
City leaders will have a looting problem to deal with. Lots of ruthless people here in FL who'll take advantage of the situation and enter the city from Orlando, Miami/Ft Lauderdale just for the purpose of stealing......

Old 08-29-2017, 10:47 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You are right, sir.

Not a matter of "if"......but rather "when"......

Phone systems are being taxed by people calling for assist. Another learning point.
Interruption of phone service, spotty and no service has been a problem with every hurricane I ever went through, or heard about. That's in addition to the lines being overloaded, when they're available, with so many people trying to make phone calls. As I recall, it seemed that cell phones worked (at least sporadically), for several hours after the power went out, winds died down, and so on, but after the batteries providing the alternate power to the cell towers (however that works) died, there went the cell phone service till the power was restored.

I'd hope that the phone service providers and other powers that be have found and put in place measures to mitigate that loss of phone service due to power outages after a storm, but I don't know if they have. The overload on phone service after any natural disaster,IMO should be easily anticipated, but what to do about it is more of a challenge.

One of the things we're seeing on the media coverage of the aftermath (and continuing effects, sadly) of Harvey on the southeast TX coast is the self-sufficiency of so many people there, taking the steps needed to get themselves out of harms way, efforts of neighbors to help each other, sharing their resources, living space, transportation (boats!).

IMO, whatever we do to learn from observation in natural disasters, and however we figure we can best be prepared in the event a natural (or even unnatural) disaster pays us a visit, preparation on a local level, ie, neighbors in a neighborhood determining what they would do, what they would need, and how they could best help in a disaster locally should be part of any disaster plan.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:52 AM

Evacuate or stay? No easy answer | Tampa Bay Times

I'm going. Would like to stay and help out - but right now, plan is to haul ass ahead of the crowd.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
City leaders will have a looting problem to deal with. Lots of ruthless people here in FL who'll take advantage of the situation and enter the city from Orlando, Miami/Ft Lauderdale just for the purpose of stealing......

They'd come from many other locations than just the ones you mentioned. Just wait till the cleaning up and rebuilding process begins. Such disasters attract every lowlife out to take advantage of the unfortunate, ie, unlicensed contractors, roofers, scam artists out to take all the rebuilding money they can get.

And looting? Don't even get me started on that, after Hurricane Andrew in Miami, 10 years after the event I was still discovering items missing that had been stolen from us from looters (maybe some of them even neighbors) going through our uninhabitable house.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:19 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
I guess the mods pick and choose who is allowed to have snarky political commentary.
I hope an agenda is not being exposed or else the rest of this thread needs to be cleaned up.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Evacuate or stay? No easy answer | Tampa Bay Times

I'm going. Would like to stay and help out - but right now, plan is to haul ass ahead of the crowd.
And depending on where you are, and what's coming your way, that may be the very best thing you can do. I don't think anyone, especially anyone who's ever been in that situation, could have anything but a thumbs up response to folks who are planning to evacuate ahead of the crowd in the event of something like a Harvey headed their way.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:34 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I hope all the people in florida living by the gulf or a large body of water or living in a flood zone take notice.
Eventually you will pay the price, not if but when. Cover you home and be prepared for the EXPECTED.

"Insurance experts say only a small fraction of homeowners in Harvey's path of destruction have flood insurance".

News from The Associated Press
Maybe this will put FEMA over the cliff riff. I go bare anyways so it don't matter what it cost. Sure as heck not spending 5k a year to insure a house worth about 35k jay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay