U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 PM

13 posts, read 34,603 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am from Michigan, and the job market here is DEAD. I graduated last summer from Wayne State (the university here in Detroit) with a Bachelors of Science in Information Systems. I worked contract at Ford for 5 years as a CAD Designer. I got laid off from there a few years ago. That led me to get my Bachelors Degree. The automotive industry is dead; I don’t want any part of it anymore.

I’m thinking of moving to the Tampa area. I have family and friends there. What is the job market like there? I’m looking to get into something in the IT field or Logistics, because I did work at UPS before I was at Ford. I don’t have any real IT experience except for classroom experience. What are the chances for a person with my degree to find something there? I would appreciate your input. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM

409 posts, read 1,401,016 times
People here love to complain about how this area is really bad in terms of jobs. I disagree. I constantly see reports about how jobs are growing here and I had no issues when I moved here. Maybe other people have. Tampa was recently ranked 7th hottest job market in the US by CNN Money.

7. TAMPA, FL

2-year job-growth forecast: 5.3%

Metropolitan-area population: 2.7 million

Who's hiring now: James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital, JPMorgan Chase, Raymond James, Verizon

Hottest jobs Senior software developer ($80,900), senior IT systems engineer ($75,500), IT project manager ($75,000), nurse practitioner ($70,200), construction project manager ($67,400)

Tampa has always been a magnet for big companies looking to set up operational headquarters on the cheap. Now its low business costs and steady supply of educated employees are bringing in smaller firms too. The percentage of people working in professional-services jobs here is nearly twice the national average, and that will drive much of the hiring through 2009. Verizon, financial-services heavyweight Raymond James, and a cluster of medical-device manufacturers like Medline are helping to expand the job pool. A dip in construction employment during the past year has pulled the overall growth rate back to earth, but it will be more than offset by the influx of new businesses. Tampa's growing port operations are also luring savvy importers: Ikea Tampa, a 353,000-square-foot supercenter with a 300-seat restaurant, will open in the summer of 2009, adding more than 1,000 jobs to the mix.

IT is mentioned in there twice for hot jobs. Hope this helps!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:50 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,276,480 times
It may take you a few to find a job here-but there are a lot of jobs available and I think you would have no issue finding a job in the field that you specialize in!

Old 03-13-2008, 05:27 PM

22 posts, read 80,394 times
Trabbz, it is really nice to hear from someone who is not only realistic, but also optimistic. I wish there were more people like you on these boards. How refreshing!!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 PM

13,773 posts, read 35,092,669 times
CAD is a field that is often advertised in Tampa. IT jobs are out there, you may want to consider doing contract work to gain experience.

Good Luck

Old 03-14-2008, 11:42 PM

792 posts, read 2,089,493 times
There are good jobs here, it's just that lots of talented folks want to move here, just like you do. So that makes competition for those good jobs very fierce.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:49 PM

13 posts, read 34,603 times
I'm not too keen on CAD. I just want to get in somewhere in database administration, entry level because I have no working experience in that area. Maybe in a hospital to start. I'm taking care of my dad and he has to come with me, which is no problem with him. But I want to have something in place before I come down. My friend in Lakeland says there's a lot of stuff in IT. See what happens. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:07 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,963,787 times
craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums
www.jobing.com
www.employflorida.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay