U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 20,388 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband and I along with our 2 young children are going to be making a move to the Tampa area from Michigan this summer. My husband is interviewing for positions with the post office and we're not sure where exactly he'll be positioned, but have fallen in love with the Safety Harbor area. One of the main reasons we really like the area is the great things we've heard about Safety Harbor Elementary, it sounds very similar to the good district that we're coming from. But, from what I've been reading, our daughter (will be a 2nd grader) stands a really good chance of not attending this school because of the new placements, and because we would be new enrollees. Is this correct? One of our top priorites in the move is the schools our kids will be attending, how can we look at specific areas, and the schools there if we might get sent to some other school in the area? Help!! Any and all info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:12 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,583,567 times
I could speculate, but school rules and boundaries change almost yearly. Please look on the following website and contact school officials directly --> Pinellas County Schools. This way you will get the most current information and plans for the next school year.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 AM

57 posts, read 174,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklacroix View Post
Hello, My husband and I along with our 2 young children are going to be making a move to the Tampa area from Michigan this summer. My husband is interviewing for positions with the post office and we're not sure where exactly he'll be positioned, but have fallen in love with the Safety Harbor area. One of the main reasons we really like the area is the great things we've heard about Safety Harbor Elementary, it sounds very similar to the good district that we're coming from. But, from what I've been reading, our daughter (will be a 2nd grader) stands a really good chance of not attending this school because of the new placements, and because we would be new enrollees. Is this correct? One of our top priorites in the move is the schools our kids will be attending, how can we look at specific areas, and the schools there if we might get sent to some other school in the area? Help!! Any and all info would be appreciated!
Starting the next school year, School Choice will be abolished. (Choice was where you could request three schools anywhere in the county and you usually got one of those three. You may not have, but usually you did. The county provided a bus for you.) Now it's changing to a more neighborhood school system where you will be assigned to the school closest to you. The problem is that there are lots of people who will be grandfathered into schools, so you might live next to Safety Harbor but not go there. That won't matter in a few years because all of the grandfathering won't be necessary as it will phase out.

But I agree with PP, call and ask them directly.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,255,345 times
It's all about this area being overcrowded! I have an elementary school across the street from me-with an A grading, but my zoning is another school 10 mins. away and has a C grading-go figure! There are many schools within 20 miles of each other-schools are overcrowded here

Old 03-13-2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have an email in to someone in Pinellas. But I have to say, as much as we like Safety Harbor, knowing that we might not get into their elementary school or not attend the same school as our neighbors who have maybe lived there longer, makes me push the Land O' Lakes/Lutz area higher on our potentials list.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:55 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,255,345 times
I can't even get my daughter into that A school-it's crossed off of the choice Program list! I am upset abou it, but there is nothing I can do about it.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:38 PM

792 posts, read 2,079,036 times
Thankfully, the choice program has been abolished. When we first moved here, they wanted to send my kid to south saint pete to go to school because they had racial quota's to meet.
Nevermind that I lived 15 miles away, nevermind that I bought in a good neighborhood,so my kid could go to a good nearby school, they had to go to a hood school.
So our first year here, I had to put my kid in private school,and of course pay that money out of my pocket. Luckily, the next year, we managed to get enrolled in a school close to home.

Nowadays though, all that's gone. Racial quotas are a thing of the past and proximity to the kids home plays a much greater role and where they get assigned.

so you should probably be ok.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:02 PM

367 posts, read 1,566,955 times
School choice will be abolished and neighborhood zoning will be back, but check the middle and high school choices for there, I'm not sure how good they are.
In Pinellas County the north county around East Lake has great Schools, all 3 ages, and so does Seminole, Palm Harbor is good also. There are great magnet schools, both middle and high school to consider also, that may mean traveling out of your zone, but you might find it worth it if you have a gifted child, musician in the works, or budding scientist!
Good luck to you in your search. Karen gave you the website, explore all that PCS have to offer before you fix on your homesite. You will be paying a lot for a home and may need to be in one place quite a while, so ensure you have schools for further down the road too.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM

Thanks Spainbrit. We are just beginning our search for where we want to be and since we are currently in michigan all research is long distance at this point. We will likely be renting or leasing a house for the first year, would you recommednd any one area over another for this? Looking to be somewhere that our kids will have others to play with (6 and 3 year old), where we will meet people our age as well (mid 30's), and would love to be near to a good walking downtown area. Thanks for any additional input you can give me.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:19 PM

38 posts, read 115,027 times
My wife and our 2 boys (6 and 3) are moving to Safety Harbor as I write this.

I have to keep this short, I have to leave and pick them up at Tampa Airport in about 5 minutes. (Like I said....As I write this!)

Safety Harbor seems great to me so far.

I will post later with some tips about finding a place down here using the internet.
It is not easy. We moved from Cleveland, OH and you need to be aware of some issues Florida has that are different than what we are used to in the Midwest.

Its 82 and Sunny today! (1 really great reason to move here!)

Be back later.......

Busy day today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or