Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 02:10 PM

389 posts, read 804,712 times

Advertisements

Hi group,

I wanted to get a layman's understanding of the semi-newly enacted Florida law regarding back yard gun ranges.

In February of 2016, the Governor signed into law SB130.

The relevant excerpt from the law reads as follows.
Section 1. Subsection (4) is added to section 790.15, Florida Statutes, to read:

790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—

(4) Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:

(a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;
(b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property;
(c) To a person who accidentally discharges a firearm.
My questions as follows-

1.) Although I have 12 acres, is the law basically saying you need 1 acre minimum to target shoot?
2.) If this is true, can the 1 acre minimum be waived altogether if b above applies (seems vague).
3.) It's been 1.5 years already. Any interesting cases that affirm or challenge this law?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 02:44 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
might post same question in the FLA forum for better response.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:02 PM

389 posts, read 804,712 times
Good point

Old 08-27-2017, 08:56 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
I can tell you that in Hillsborough County (unincorporated portions) that there is a distance from the property line measurement you have to meet, but nothing I recall regarding actual size of the lot. There is a large tract of privately owned land that abuts a private park next to my property. The owners have used portions of that land for a shooting range, and according to a county sheriff I know as long as they're more than a certain distance from the property lines of adjoining properties they're legal.

I also believe that the state statutes now overrule any local laws, that is, a few years ago there was legislation passed at the state level that essentially eliminated local firearm laws and made state laws take precedence.

Of course, I would highly recommend that you consult your local government and see what they say.

RM

Old 08-27-2017, 09:04 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
Two considerations in this. The range of the rounds. You must make 100% certain the round stays on your property. Second, the sound. Again the sound must stay on your property. It is possible to do all of that if you make the effort. Happy shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay