Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,289,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
Sleeping in my car again. Better than in the hot house!
Sorry to hear. Even opening all the windows in the house is hotter than the car? How did they survive pre-air conditioning days (1800-early 1900s) in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 06:31 AM

4,417 posts, read 3,784,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I sense your frustration - I can imagine you're trying to do your job w/o electricity and internet and that can become a major obstacle for you to earn a living. You probably have a boss/supervisor with a deadline on you to complete projects. I understand that we barely received a scratch in our area and you've got to wonder why the electricity went out. Seriously, we've been in some tropical storms that have been much worse than Irma.
That's exactly correct.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:34 AM

At the rate this is going I'm expecting to be out of power for at least a week. But hey I could be wrong. Maybe two weeks? Heck, a month or more would be a completely normal expectation for inept TECO.

Still looking for someone to volunteer to roast my Thanksgiving turkey.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:10 AM

17,486 posts, read 38,934,424 times
I certainly understand the frustration, we just got our power back last night (FPL). I too was wondering about the massive outages considering the lack of damage I see from the storm, but this article from Tampabay.com explains it - here is an excerpt:

There's not just one cause to blame for the widespread outages. Instead, it's a combination of destruction: trees falling on power lines, poles tipping or sustaining other damage, debris flying into the system. Many electrical substations that link transmission lines with local distribution lines were also wrecked by the storm.

"It's all of these things together," Nissan said. "The combination of strong winds, debris that got blown into power lines and an enormous amount of flooding that needs to subside.

"We have the equipment, we have the workers, but sometimes it just takes a lot of time."

Link:

Irma causes one of the largest disaster power outages in the nation | Tampa Bay Times

Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,868,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
While I am very thankful all I have to complain about is no power (was resigned to returning to a home that was unlivable), I shudder to think what would have happened if we had a direct hit. What's worse is the street north and south of me have power since Monday, as does most of my street, except for the 100 yard section I'm in.
Have seen this all around the areas, Dunedin, Safety Harbor, Clearwater.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I certainly understand the frustration, we just got our power back last night (FPL). I too was wondering about the massive outages considering the lack of damage I see from the storm, but this article from Tampabay.com explains it - here is an excerpt:

There's not just one cause to blame for the widespread outages. Instead, it's a combination of destruction: trees falling on power lines, poles tipping or sustaining other damage, debris flying into the system. Many electrical substations that link transmission lines with local distribution lines were also wrecked by the storm.

"It's all of these things together," Nissan said. "The combination of strong winds, debris that got blown into power lines and an enormous amount of flooding that needs to subside.

"We have the equipment, we have the workers, but sometimes it just takes a lot of time."

Link:

Irma causes one of the largest disaster power outages in the nation | Tampa Bay Times
That's all just excuses. Why did TECO have only 700 workers mobilized before the storm, while FP&L had 17,000? No wonder FP&L is restoring power to hundreds of thousands a day, while TECO and Duke are restoring far far less.

Only on Tuesday did TECO decide they needed a couple more workers than 700, so they borrowed some from Canada. CANADA? TECO was completely unprepared for this, and this was not even a hurricane in Tampa. Considering the amount of people still without power, 700 workers was woefully too few.

It's time to stop allowing our politicians and utilities to make excuses for incompetence.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:59 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,225,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
That's all just excuses. Why did TECO have only 700 workers mobilized before the storm, while FP&L had 17,000? No wonder FP&L is restoring power to hundreds of thousands a day, while TECO and Duke are restoring far far less.
A bit surprising, do you have a source for those figures? Just asking as FPL has only 8,900 total employees, so to see 17,000 reported as mobilized workers, even with support from other states seems high.

Additionally, I don't think you can compare the two companies to each other as their size and service area is significantly different. TECO provides power to 1 million people while FPL is 10 million, so TECO is 1/10 the size just on customer base. On a pure number of outages, FPL had peak of 3.6million without power and TECO was 335,000, so the 1/10th size seems to be consistent.

Source:
TECO
FPL

Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM

Just found this, TECO reported "About 3,500 line and tree workers, from other utilities from as far away as the Midwest, the Northeast and Canada, are assisting with restoration, which is the largest restoration effort in U.S. history."

So the 700 mentioned appears to just be wrong.

Tampa Electric begins restoring power after Hurricane Irma – Update No. 1

Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
No wonder FP&L is restoring power to hundreds of thousands a day, while TECO and Duke are restoring far far less.
Also factually wrong. TECO reported as of yesterday (9/13) "Tampa Electric has restored power to 250,000 customers and has repaired its entire transmission system, which is the high-voltage network of lines that delivers electricity from the power plants." For two days that well over a hundred thousand restored per day.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:13 AM

I saw the 700 number on Bay News 9. This article says they had 1,000.
Whether it's 700 or 1,000, that's WAY TOO FEW.
I am not talking about the number now.
I am talking about the number they contracted BEFORE the storm.

Tampa Electric, Duke Energy poised to restore power outages after Irma | Tampa Bay Times

Here is the FPL info:

They had 17,000 workers contracted BEFORE the storm.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ker/652138001/

Clearly TECO did not mobilize enough crews before the storm, among other failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay