Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 11,684 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm so glad this forum is around. I've been reading several posts, and I am now facing a dilemma.

I am being relocated soon to Tampa, (in the next two weeks), and I need to find a nice, safe place to live. I would love to be close to shops and night life, but I would prefer not to be awakened by continual drunken shenanigans. (Near the water would also be great).

I will be commuting everyday to Brandon, but I don't mind driving 30-45 minutes. Any ideas? Any places or areas I should stay away from?

Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 03:52 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,556 times
Brandon is nice and is next to a huge mall but I am not sure if there are any waterfront properties.

South Tampa is also a good area near Ybor and Channelside

Old 03-25-2008, 05:12 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
I believe if you are more specific people in the forum can help you more:
Apt or single home, kids or no kids (for schools) budget for rent...
With more info I'm sure you will get more answers here.
Good luck in your move!!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,720 times
Unhappy no water in Brandon

just go into google earth for a look at these areas

no water in Ybor either unless you count the $2,000,000 fountain the city built that no one can see because of the expy and the iron gates.
South Tampa might get you some water views or Westshore maybe.
If work is in Brandon there's always Apollo Beach for the water view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Brandon is nice and is next to a huge mall but I am not sure if there are any waterfront properties.

South Tampa is also a good area near Ybor and Channelside

Old 03-25-2008, 06:04 PM

Good point ancnie. I should have been a bit more specific:

I do not have kids, so schools are not an issue.

Its just me and my puppy, so I'd like something in a safe area. I'd like to be close to shops, nightlife, etc., and I would love something with a view of the water.

I've always wanted to live in an area with a little Southern charm, i.e. a little downtown mainstreet type area.

Budget 1000-1200. Thanks for all of your replies.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
South Tampa has the charm and the water. You can find a place around/on Bayshore which is on the water. The Cove apts on Westshore are right on the Bay. Older apts it use to be a fun place. We would take our dog down to the beach and he would run and swim out to the sandbar and chase the birds. One pool is on the bayside and the weekends were always a blast.
You can get a 2/2 in your price range plus they do allow pets

The Cove Apartments Tampa, FL - Apartments for Rent in Tampa Florida

Sunset over the Bay
The Cove

Last edited by Keeper; 03-25-2008 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: added website

Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
just go into google earth for a look at these areas

no water in Ybor either unless you count the $2,000,000 fountain the city built that no one can see because of the expy and the iron gates.
South Tampa might get you some water views or Westshore maybe.
If work is in Brandon there's always Apollo Beach for the water view.
Not even artifical lakes in brandon? I thought there was maybe I was wrong.

Heh I always joke about that waterfountain. All that money should have been spent on a ferry or something.

Hmm I don't know about AB it would be tricky trying to get to the night life from there

Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 PM

I'm thinking Brandon is probably not what I'm looking for,

I'm leaning towards looking in South Tampa, are there any areas to stay away from?

Also, I love the design of Grand Central at Kennedy, does anyone know anything about the area there? Thanks again for all the help!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,720 times
Talking yeah and the gators are free

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Not even artifical lakes in brandon? I thought there was maybe I was wrong. anyway those are probably retention pondsewwwwh !

Heh I always joke about that waterfountain. All that money should have been spent on a ferry or something.

Loved the ferry in Baltimore but we woud need more destinations on the Tampa side first, no?

Hmm I don't know about AB it would be tricky trying to get to the night life from there
I missed the part about nightlife in the first read thru. You right! So I guess So. Tampa

Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 PM

17 posts, read 89,097 times
Brandon could very well be what you're looking for. It is about a 10-15 minute drive to Ybor or Channelside, the hearts of the nightlife, but here in Brandon/Valrico we have:

-O'Brien's, a popular Irish bar
-Taiga, a tiki-style bar with a restaurant/lounge downstairs
-The Dallas Bull, a country bar that attracts all kinds of crowds any given weeknight

We have lots of boutiques and a very classy mall.. It's safer than Tampa but still, violent crime is a "6" on a 1-10 safety scale (1 is best, 10 is worst) while the U.S. average is a "3". That is a given in Florida though, especially in the Tampa area.

I'd recommend Brandon. The nightlife is so darn close that it really makes commuting simply to be closer to it unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay