Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 20,492 times

Advertisements

Just recently decided to move back to Tampa, Fl...(contemplated for a very long time..years!) from Milwaukee, WI (Yuk, no offense) and was wondering if someone could help me with areas to look first. Good areas, bad areas etc etc...I have a 13 yr old and a 10 yr old daughter and would like safe and affordable as far as apartments go. Also, I will continue my nursing education probably @ Hillsborough College so dont want to be hrs away from that area...Could someone help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 08:04 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,731,517 times
Again, I'm a recommending the Brandon/Valrico area because that's what I know. It's very family friendly with good schools. There's a Hillsborough college in Brandon, as well as one being in Plant City and Ybor, these would all be convenient to the Brandon/Valrico area. Riverview would be another city to look into. There are many apartments in the Brandon area to choose from.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:03 AM

Wink Move to Tampa

Thanks so much for replying..I will definitely start looking in Valrico/Brandon.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 AM

849 posts, read 3,517,341 times
Default I would suggest

checking out the college website first.
http://www.hcccfl.edu (broken link) Pretty sure that's it. You want to be sure that the program you want and need is on that campus and you mentioned "continuing" your ed. I don't know if they have BS in Nursing. You may be past the community college point. I believe St. Petersburg College St. Petersburg College also has nursing and a lot of their programs ARE 4 years. You could find a nice apt. in Seminole (good schools) for you and your girls and be very close to one of their campuses. It's also not that far to the Main (Gibbs) campus right in the Tyrone area of St. Pete.
The previous poster is correct about Valrico but if the school doesn't offer what you need? I don't think Hillsborough is yet accredited for 4 years and to my knowledge they don't offere every program on every campus. Ditto SPC. But worse case scenario, if SPC offers nursing only in Clearwater, it's not a bad ride from Seminole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny330sa View Post
Just recently decided to move back to Tampa, Fl...(contemplated for a very long time..years!) from Milwaukee, WI (Yuk, no offense) and was wondering if someone could help me with areas to look first. Good areas, bad areas etc etc...I have a 13 yr old and a 10 yr old daughter and would like safe and affordable as far as apartments go. Also, I will continue my nursing education probably @ Hillsborough College so dont want to be hrs away from that area...Could someone help??

Old 03-16-2008, 02:33 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,558,342 times
Sunny, I would suggest you find a school system for your children first and then work your education around it. Providing you attend HCC, here's a link to the public school system website --> Hillsborough County Public Schools-Tampa Florida. Too far away? Apollo Beach, Gibsonton, Ruskin, Plant City, Valrico, Land O Lakes, and New Tampa. Everywhere else is manageable in my opinion.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:33 PM

5,910 posts, read 7,246,169 times
Valrico, specifically the Blooomingdale East area, is especially nice and has some of the best schools in the state.

Having moved here from Port Washinginton, WI, I can assure you that you will not be impressed with the school system no matter where you go, compared to Wisconsin's, but this is where we chose to go and we have not regretted it.

I attended HCC Brandon a few years ago and it's an easy commute from here. HCC does not have a 4 year nursing program to the best of my knowledge, but USF and other easily accessible colleges in the area do.

RM

Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,558,342 times
I hope my previous post was not taken in the wrong context. I agree that Valrico is a nice little community. I just felt personally that I would not want to drive to HCC Tampa every day because of the distance. It must be around 20 miles one way. Call me lazy! But if the schools in Valrico were more superior than anywhere else, I would certainly do it for my children.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:37 PM

MortonR, interesting...can I ask why you moved from Port Washington, I have been in the Milwaukee area for 14 years and I have found, these people have lived here 15 generations back and right down the street from each other...very strange I have never come across that before and I have lived quite a few places...you dont normally find people that have relocated especially to Florida from Wisconsin...just wondering if you'd care to share. Sunny330sa

Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 PM

17 posts, read 88,840 times
If you're looking for safety and a family friendly environment, stay in Wisconsin. Don't come here! Especially if you will be living in an apartment. We used to live in a complex that is highly regarded and heard gunshots once a month. We now live in Valrico in a very nice neighborhood and I don't feel safe here, even with 4 dogs in the house, a gun in the house, my alarm on and all my doors locked. There are 90 sexual predators within a 3 mile radius of us. Crime here is getting out of control. Even in the Bloomingdale area. Fish Hawk is better but still not "safe". Also, it is a short drive to the Plant City HCC campus.Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

My husband and I are actually moving our family to Wisconsin because honestly it is much more family-friendly. We don't feel comfortable raising a family here.

Last edited by Yac; 04-07-2008 at 07:01 AM..

Old 04-02-2008, 01:07 PM

104 posts, read 365,505 times
I would definitely recommend checking out the South Tampa area. There are some great apartment complexes and the area has great schools and is very family friendly. The area is safe and good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay