Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 11:35 PM

5 posts, read 3,960 times

Advertisements

I've been out of Clearwater since Sept 2009. Now that it's been a while, I'm wanting to get back down to Clearwater again. We've all decided on it, and I'm moving my family down there. We're all very excited for the next chapter in out lives. I know it's not for another 9 months, but those months will go by in no time. I'm not worried about employment or even residence, as I will have that covered.

So, what should I expect since I last left? What's going on lately? (besides Irma), what's new in Tampa and the bay area?

Thanks, and have a great day!

Last edited by timpr1985; 09-10-2017 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add a few more things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 02:30 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Housing and employment has improved in the TB area since 2009, the year I moved here.

Thanks Obama.

But things haven't changed much. Tampa downtown will be getting a massive facelift at the Riverwalk. There's still a lot to do here if you don't mind a little heat 8 months out of the year.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:45 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
Be prepared for a massive increase in housing costs if you haven't researched it or made inquiries. And your former neighbors, the Scientologists, have expanded their presence significantly...

RM

Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 AM

You know, I never had much of a problem with the heat. I first moved down there with my parents a few days after Christmas 1995. I guess I just got use to the heat. I don't care much for it up here in Ohio. I miss all the things there was to do down there, the restaurants, etc. I wish Ohio would have an Albertsons or even a Publix. I sure do miss Albertsons fried chicken and the Publix subs & cookies.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:36 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpr1985 View Post
You know, I never had much of a problem with the heat. I first moved down there with my parents a few days after Christmas 1995. I guess I just got use to the heat. I don't care much for it up here in Ohio. I miss all the things there was to do down there, the restaurants, etc. I wish Ohio would have an Albertsons or even a Publix. I sure do miss Albertsons fried chicken and the Publix subs & cookies.
Good luck with the move but just wanted to say hopefully it's what it was for you when you last lived down there. Sometimes people tend to do these things and then realize it's not what they thought it was. But sounds like you are making the right decision.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:28 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
You can look at housing on several sites. We used Realtor.com the third and last time we moved back to Clearwater.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:49 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpr1985 View Post
Albertson's exited the Florida market back in 2011 or thereabouts. Only place you'll find an Albertson's these days is in their original markets out west.

RM

Old 09-11-2017, 06:50 PM

PDF, I actually came down for a short 3 days back in March of this year. The weather was even better than I remembered. This will be my final time moving back to Clearwater.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,284,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Housing and employment has improved in the TB area since 2009, the year I moved here.

Thanks Obama.

But things haven't changed much. Tampa downtown will be getting a massive facelift at the Riverwalk. There's still a lot to do here if you don't mind a little heat 8 months out of the year.
How has housing improved?

Houses are more expensive to buy and rentals have gone through the roof.

It's only improved if you're a home owner borrowing against your house or you're an investor turned landlord or a speculator/flipper.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:30 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
How has housing improved?

2008/2009 builders stopped building because of the housing crisis/recession. They''re in full force building communities again - at least in S. Hillsborough where you can't go anywhere without seeing a new subdivision being started. People were under the water (balance of the mortgage loan is higher than the fair market value of the property) on ther mortgage back in 2008/9. Now they're back to buying up houses in the area. Employment rates are much better than when OP left in 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay