Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 08:52 PM

5,904 posts, read 7,236,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksweep View Post
so obviously if you are completed off the grid to begin with - then that part of it doesn't. I am trying to get a law or state code that says you can't do that. I can't find anything but you are saying its not illegal...
There is no state law or code that says you can't run off the grid. It's a contractual obligation for anyone with a solar system connected to a utility provider in Florida that does net metering (selling power back to the utility.) That contract has to comply with Florida 25-6.065 regarding net metering, which says you can't be tied to the utility when it is offline.

So if you're out of scope in this regard, you'r breaking the law. You're also breaking the contract with the utility as well.

Some reference material if you like:

https://www.flaseia.org/education/solar-laws/

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 09:11 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,974,275 times
Quote:
you aren't forced to buy auto insurance - only if you want to drive.
By that logic, you're not forced to have electricity.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:16 PM

76 posts, read 90,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
By that logic, you're not forced to have electricity.
not really. driving isn't necessarily a basic need, like for basic survival. You can always get a ride with someone. Technically, since I work from home, I could probably swing it to where I would never have to drive, thus never get insured, as my wife(or another family member) could get me to where I needed to be. But thats my choice to not do that. The convenience factor overweighs the cost.

I think part of the point is, is that per state/county/local code - you do in fact HAVE to have running water thats 'clean' enough and power... i am pretty sure thats the law - although i disagree with it.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:18 PM

76 posts, read 90,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
There is no state law or code that says you can't run off the grid. It's a contractual obligation for anyone with a solar system connected to a utility provider in Florida that does net metering (selling power back to the utility.) That contract has to comply with Florida 25-6.065 regarding net metering, which says you can't be tied to the utility when it is offline.

So if you're out of scope in this regard, you'r breaking the law. You're also breaking the contract with the utility as well.

Some reference material if you like:

https://www.flaseia.org/education/solar-laws/

RM
Well i wasnt referring to net metering. I was referring to not be connected at all, being 100% off the grid. So I am under no obligation to the power company for anything at that point.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:08 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,974,275 times
Quote:
I think part of the point is, is that per state/county/local code - you do in fact HAVE to have running water thats 'clean' enough and power... i am pretty sure thats the law - although i disagree with it.
The Google pulls up nothing about being required to have electricity. Also, people live off a well all over this area.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Well i wasnt referring to net metering. I was referring to not be connected at all, being 100% off the grid. So I am under no obligation to the power company for anything at that point.
Understood.

Being off the grid is nothing more than a lifestyle choice. Just because a utility provides service to your address doesn't mean you're obligated to use them. If you were to have the power shut off to your home you wouldn't have to pay the utility squat.

I worked in the power industry for over 20 years. Part of that time was in Northern California, where there are many, many folks living off the grid even though power is available. No laws being broken there (other than the ones for the crops many of them were growing!)

I could easily see someone in our area going completely off grid with a decent sized solar array and batteries. Add a small generator for battery charging on cloudy days and you could be completely self sufficient as far as electricity. Many of my former customers in rural areas did this more out of necessity than choice, but it works and it's certainly nothing new.

RM

Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 AM

17,457 posts, read 38,855,436 times
I think for this to work, one would have to be rural enough so that it isn't an issue. For instance, one can't live in a regular neighborhood and live this lifestyle, there would be code enforcement to deal with. If you live somewhere on a few acres, not in some sort of development then you might be able to get by with it. It is hard to find anymore, even in rural Pasco where we used to live - way more developments now.

You do need power for a well unless you are going to "hand crank" like the old days. You can use rainwater, but you have to treat it.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. I am all for people living this lifestyle, provided they do it responsibly (not like the crazy lady in Cape Coral who was spreading here "poo" in her yard instead of using composting toilet, lol)

Old 09-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think for this to work, one would have to be rural enough so that it isn't an issue. For instance, one can't live in a regular neighborhood and live this lifestyle, there would be code enforcement to deal with. If you live somewhere on a few acres, not in some sort of development then you might be able to get by with it. It is hard to find anymore, even in rural Pasco where we used to live - way more developments now.

You do need power for a well unless you are going to "hand crank" like the old days. You can use rainwater, but you have to treat it.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. I am all for people living this lifestyle, provided they do it responsibly (not like the crazy lady in Cape Coral who was spreading here "poo" in her yard instead of using composting toilet, lol)
I don't agree.

The current laws in Florida are such that you can pretty well put up any kind of solar array you like and not be cited for it. A recently passed law prevents HOAs or other governing bodies preventing someone from installing a solar system on their property.

With a decently sized system, a battery bank and possibly a small generator, you could go off grid without a lot of effort. Other than the noise from the generator, which can be easily dealt with, I don't see anything that would conflict with codes.

RM

Old 09-23-2017, 01:31 PM

17,457 posts, read 38,855,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I don't agree.

The current laws in Florida are such that you can pretty well put up any kind of solar array you like and not be cited for it. A recently passed law prevents HOAs or other governing bodies preventing someone from installing a solar system on their property.

With a decently sized system, a battery bank and possibly a small generator, you could go off grid without a lot of effort. Other than the noise from the generator, which can be easily dealt with, I don't see anything that would conflict with codes.

RM
Yea, I wasn't really talking specifically about that ^^^ - more about people trying to live without any modern amenities in an urban neighborhood. It usually causes problems. Not talking about what the OP wants to do.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:19 PM

490 posts, read 578,531 times
Quote:
because the ACA was unconstitutional too and the only reason it was passed was because its a "tax" and not a penalty - even though the plantiffs and defendants (the government) defined it as a penalty. In other words the Supreme Court redefined it from a penalty to a tax so that could rule in favor on the defendants.. mind blowing. So i look forward to the day where this ruling will be reversed or we get a complete dismantling of it in the current adminstration.

other than that why is it that people can have a well and septic and thus be off of public water and sewer. I dont see any difference in that and having your own system set up for solar/battery and thus being off public electricity.
If potable water and sewer lines are run through a area on private well and septic many times everyone is forced to hook up. Its expensive leading to people losing their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay