Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:57 PM

119 posts, read 524,751 times

Advertisements

What St. Petersburg like as opposed to Tampa? When researching areas to live I noticed the price of homes and apartments drops in St. Petersburg. What is the population of the area? Is it a desirable area to live? Is it safe? What are the nicer parts/zip codes? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:59 PM

12 posts, read 61,804 times
I have lived on both sides of the bay and I like being in st pete opposed to Tampa. I commute from St. Pete to Tampa everyday and the ride isn't that bad. It all depends on how you want to live. If you want to live near the beaches then live in st pete. If you want to go clubbing everynight then live in Tampa. It seems a little bit more laid back on this side. I also think theres less traffic over here as well.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:24 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,211 times
Both sides of the Bay have great things to offer...to me Tampa seems more like an Urban Hub Center, with More Major Corporations, Port, Airport, Major Sports, Concert and Theater Acts, Nightlife and Dining options and St Pete is a bit more laid back with the Beautiful Gulf Beaches, and cute waterfront "Bohemian" like downtown. Its nice they are only about 20-25 minutes from downtown to downtown, and you are able to take advantage of both. I find myself doing and going more places in Tampa(for work, leisure, activities), which is why I live in Tampa, but I love visiting St. Pete as well. Now I have other friends that would rather be in St. Pete, and not in the center of everything, and lvie closer to the beaches, and the smallness and casual feel of St. Pete...I say to each his own...

Old 03-16-2008, 09:00 PM

286 posts, read 1,029,556 times
downtown St. Pete has way more amenities and is very much more "Florida-like" that DT Tampa. Then again in about 5 years DT Tampa will have plenty due to the residential boom. I love both areas equally, even though Tampa is more of the "meat" of the area (port, jobs, etc).

Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 PM

119 posts, read 524,751 times
Default Geography of St. Petersburg

Thank you so much for the feedback on St. Petersburg. I found some highly rated apartments in St. Pete, located at 10600 4th Street North, for example. I look at the location on a map and it seems fine. But then again, I know from visiting Tampa that the areas between the airport and the bridge to Clearwater are not what I am looking for, although they look good on a map. For those familiar with the layout of St. Pete, I woud be very grateful if you could direct me to a major thoroughfare or intersection that would be desirable for a young couple with no children who seek safety above all else?

Thank you!!!

And what are the residents of St. Pete like? Same as Tampa? More older residents?

Old 03-17-2008, 06:48 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
Thank you so much for the feedback on St. Petersburg. I found some highly rated apartments in St. Pete, located at 10600 4th Street North, for example. I look at the location on a map and it seems fine. But then again, I know from visiting Tampa that the areas between the airport and the bridge to Clearwater are not what I am looking for, although they look good on a map. For those familiar with the layout of St. Pete, I woud be very grateful if you could direct me to a major thoroughfare or intersection that would be desirable for a young couple with no children who seek safety above all else?

Thank you!!!

And what are the residents of St. Pete like? Same as Tampa? More older residents?
The area you speak of is a good area, very close to the Gandy and Howard Frankland Bridges, you are about 15 minutes north of downtown St. Pete. It is an area of Apartment and Condo complexes, a few strip mall centers with all your Grocery, drug stores, and a few restaurants, if you go South of Gandy Blvd on 4th street towards downtown St. Pete, its all retail, restaurants, a very busy 6 lane road with a medians.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 AM

849 posts, read 3,527,704 times
Default boom?

more like ka-boom you think Tampa is immune to the general slowdonw in the housing mkt? Trump pulled out because he saw the bubble was about to burst and the other projects are sitting unfinished or half empty. Yes, it should turn around but 5 years is now optimistic. IMO It will take almost that long just go get back to where it was in 2006. Longer to reach a real livability status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
downtown St. Pete has way more amenities and is very much more "Florida-like" that DT Tampa. Then again in about 5 years DT Tampa will have plenty due to the residential boom. I love both areas equally, even though Tampa is more of the "meat" of the area (port, jobs, etc).

Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 18,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Transplant View Post
I have lived on both sides of the bay and I like being in st pete opposed to Tampa. I commute from St. Pete to Tampa everyday and the ride isn't that bad. It all depends on how you want to live. If you want to live near the beaches then live in st pete. If you want to go clubbing everynight then live in Tampa. It seems a little bit more laid back on this side. I also think theres less traffic over here as well.
I really like your post can u share more detail about the area. I need all I can recieve before moving in October. Just everything you can share from the climate yearound to the employment / college opportunitines. I am attempting to complete bachelors in business and will need to transfer.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM

29 posts, read 99,477 times
Hi TShepp316, the original post and replies are kind of old. Your best bet is just to review the post in the forum. Or search for St Pete and view the all the related post.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:53 PM

28 posts, read 95,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
So it's been five years, do these comparisons still seem accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay