Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 05:23 AM

11 posts, read 17,503 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a place in Sun City Center. We really like the King's Point section. We are concerned about the higher HOA fees. Can anyone give their opinion on whether the higher fees are a good value. They seem to cover a lot. The HOA fees vary and don't cover nearly as many services in the other areas of SSC. We wonder which is the best value. I've seen post in this forum from people who say that the money they spend for HOAs in Kings Point would be spent on necessary expenses anyway. We now live in Kentucky and don't know expenses in Florida - water, sewer, insurance, etc. We plan to retire next year and become snow birds. We are not commited to Kings Point but like the prices for homes and amenities there. We'd like to spend less then $200,000. Thanks for any input. Tamarac at the Gulf in Seminole and Mainlands of Tamarac have also got our attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 05:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
A drawback for Kings Point is the eyesore villas/condos/flat-tops that you have to look at when you drive through the main entrance. It's hard to get over. They were built decades ago. They're maintained okay, but just very outdated. Takes away from the community, imo.

Across the street at SCC - in several of the subdivisions the residents aren't maintaining their property properly - either because of their age, or budget ---but there are other areas where you have really nice neighborhoods. Usually depends on the age of the home, I've noticed.

KP has gate security, but that by no means means you're 100% secure. Certain parts of SCC (near main highways, businesses, near SR 674) seem to have a higher incidence of burglaries......I'm thinking those houses more interior in the community don't need to worry about security issues.

Water is included in KP's fees. That could be $100+ in SCC side as you pay for internal and external h20 there (lawn watering). KP's lawn and scrubbery, trees maintenance is included as well. Not sure about SCC.

Each community has fitness center and pool amenities. KP's fitness center is very good -includes pretty good classes and very good equipment. Fitness Trainer staff are outstanding.

Back to HOAs.....also included are certain condo insurance fees, periodic external painting.....not sure what SCC homes pay for that.

Tough decision. Most KP homes are duplexes (there are a few free standing subdivisions though).....SCC has mostly single standing homes from what I can see.

Last edited by BucFan; 11-06-2017 at 06:11 AM..

Old 11-06-2017, 06:33 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit13 View Post
My wife and I are considering a place in Sun City Center. We really like the King's Point section. We are concerned about the higher HOA fees. Can anyone give their opinion on whether the higher fees are a good value. They seem to cover a lot. The HOA fees vary and don't cover nearly as many services in the other areas of SSC. We wonder which is the best value. I've seen post in this forum from people who say that the money they spend for HOAs in Kings Point would be spent on necessary expenses anyway. We now live in Kentucky and don't know expenses in Florida - water, sewer, insurance, etc. We plan to retire next year and become snow birds. We are not commited to Kings Point but like the prices for homes and amenities there. We'd like to spend less then $200,000. Thanks for any input. Tamarac at the Gulf in Seminole and Mainlands of Tamarac have also got our attention.
I gave a little breakdown in this recent thread and explain the fees in a couple of my posts:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...ving-area.html

I can't say which community would be right for you, it depends on what you are comfortable with, your tastes, budget, etc. You can get a place in either community for less than $200,000. It's the fees that you would have to pay afterwards that you need to take into account. Kings Point is more secure.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:56 AM

Kings Point does provide shuttle services around the community to clubhouses, pools, other addresses......might be an amenity one uses if one ages in place and doesnt feel comfortable driving.....

Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM

Oops, I just realized the OP said they were going to snowbird. In that case, definitely Kings Point, since you won't have to worry about the property while you are away. Just pack your bags, lock the door and go!

Old 11-06-2017, 08:10 AM

Paying real estate taxes, HOAs, home insurance for 12 month ownership, but 6-7 month living doesnt sound financially wise. Why not just seasonally rent. Guess buying now, permanently living years later could be in the plans.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:14 PM

490 posts, read 583,574 times
I don't understand the attraction to retirement farms.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
I don't understand the attraction to retirement farms.
LOL, I used to feel the same way you do. You may understand the attraction at some point in your life. Now, more than ever, regular neighborhood life is not so great when you get older.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:31 PM

490 posts, read 583,574 times
Thanks kmarc, I hear what you're throwing out and it hit a home run. Usually I am more of a emphatic human. We have to remember that our shoes are different but we all walk the miles. I think my non understanding is why wall youself off with only you're own kind. This sort of non diversity is what is causing problems now. But I also see the need for change after time is done and the nest is empty, ....time served.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
Thanks kmarc, I hear what you're throwing out and it hit a home run. Usually I am more of a emphatic human. We have to remember that our shoes are different but we all walk the miles. I think my non understanding is why wall youself off with only you're own kind. This sort of non diversity is what is causing problems now. But I also see the need for change after time is done and the nest is empty, ....time served.
I hear ya. I wish it could be all kumbaya, but unfortunately it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay