U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:03 PM

57 posts, read 174,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
tampaguy03, I agree. Actually I agree with many of your posts. I just don't want to see Tampa ever ended up with the real negative aspects of a city like Atlanta... I really hope it's not going that way.

That's funny because I was just scrolling down to reply that it seems to be like an infant Altanta. I grew up in Atlanta and I remember what it was like before it got SO big with SO much traffic. To me, Atlanta traffic is the worst of any city! (Of course, I haven't been in EVERY city, but you know ... it's just really bad.)

Tampa seems to be trying to grow quite a bit. I think it could end up being a great city someday in the not-too-far-off future. Like someone else said, the powers that be need to make smart decisions and clean up some areas. But I think it could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM

387 posts, read 1,472,027 times
Atlanta traffic is literally unlike anything I've ever seen in Florida, and I mean that.

In my opinion, Tampa has the upper hand - water. Lots of beautiful water.

I didn't mean to necessarily compare them, because I don't think they're really comparable, although many people feel they are because they're the "bigger" Southern cities. However, I don't wish Atlanta's traffic, city-limit crime, materialism, expensive monolith airport, or stressed out attitude on any city.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:52 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,782,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Atlanta traffic is literally unlike anything I've ever seen in Florida, and I mean that.

In my opinion, Tampa has the upper hand - water. Lots of beautiful water.

I didn't mean to necessarily compare them, because I don't think they're really comparable, although many people feel they are because they're the "bigger" Southern cities. However, I don't wish Atlanta's traffic, city-limit crime, materialism, expensive monolith airport, or stressed out attitude on any city.
If Tampa ever became like an Atlanta or Miami, i'd be out of here...grow the density in areas like downtown and Westshore districts, provide transportation from the already established outlaying region(Pinellas, Pasco, Hillsborough, Polk and Manatee counties) to downtown, westshore, airport, USF...

Old 03-20-2008, 06:15 PM

13,773 posts, read 35,004,477 times
I nominate Tampaguy for Mayor. I agree 100% .. Instead of building more and more over green space, improve the area so ppl will want to buy in those areas

Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 AM

137 posts, read 501,634 times
I live in Hernando County and wouldn't mind Tampa becoming the next big thing. I really think it would help our property values and help getting out of the housing slump. IMO, Tampa Bay (the entire area) in general has a lot of potential but too many people that run it are still Good Old Boys and hesitant to get with the times.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,542,573 times
I love Tampa. The only thing I do not like about it, is there seem to be a lot of areas ripe for gentrification but it is not happening. The natural setting is perfect, the sports and venues are great. There are very nice suburban areas and some nice things right in the CBD/Channelside area. I just think there should be more nicer urban neighborhoods close to downtown other than Hyde Park. Overall I think it has a ton going for it and it has managed to maintain a somewhat hidden gem quality to it. I think you should embrace that instead of hoping it becomes a monstrous megalopolis. With that may come some problems LOL. But yeah, I would like to see a little genrification take place and less way out there suburban development.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:12 PM

1,270 posts, read 3,834,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sange77 View Post
I live in Hernando County and wouldn't mind Tampa becoming the next big thing. I really think it would help our property values and help getting out of the housing slump. IMO, Tampa Bay (the entire area) in general has a lot of potential but too many people that run it are still Good Old Boys and hesitant to get with the times.
Well, don't great minds think alike, my friend !

Cherie

Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 AM

104 posts, read 341,105 times
Tampa is still an easy place to live and lets hope it stays that way. I have been most impressed with the changes in downtown St. Pete over the past couple of years. That area seems to have some great momentum right now.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:13 PM

190 posts, read 594,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
I live in San Diego County.
Not that great.

I can't see Tampa blowing up but it looks like a great place.
The Downtown looks kind of small(not too many hi-rises),and I don't know anything about the area but I will be out there for the Final Four.
i heard they cant make downtown area any bigger because its built on coral and they cant drill down for beams cause you will hit the ocean. i think the downtown area is pretty nice tho. you have channelside, ybor close by, and some very nice upscale condo's. not to mention st. petes times forum for sports right there. also, across the water is clearwater. i like it out there but wouldnt want to live there. i believe that tampa has it all for someone who wants to work, live and play.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:10 PM

663 posts, read 995,155 times
The first step to Tampa becoming the next big thing, is Mass transit.
The geniuses that live here just voted down light rail, so Expect Tampa to go no where fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or