U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:49 PM

35,316 posts, read 44,233,913 times

Advertisements

By the amount of interest in moving to Tampa shown on this forum i'd imagine Tampa is growing big time, just add more communities of Single family dwellings north,east, and south.Expressways are heavy with traffic most hours of the day and clogged at rush hour.
Question is can Tampa's infrastructure handle much more growth.

Is this what potential relocators to Tampa imagine when thinking of their new home?
http://www.ronjackson.com/tampa.jpg

Its after 6pm there nobody there..

St Pete on the other hand is all built up and other than the occasional highrise going up really cant get much bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 PM

762 posts, read 1,643,787 times
Why respond to this thread 3 years later? I think the demographics have dramatically changed by now, NO?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:52 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,047,558 times
No, I don't. I see Tampa as an area that talks about wanting to be the "next big thing" but refuses to do what it has to. Look at downtown Tampa for proof. They don't want to upset the old timers (who will die off sooner than the people they should be attracting anyway) and, in turn, throw away every opportunity to become a big league. Sorry, but when you shoot down a proposal to be one of the first cities/states with a light rail... You don't want to be a big city.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,055,829 times
wow. this thread read my mind.

the first thing i said to myself when driving around the area for the first time was "this place is the definition of potential." so much prime real estate wasted. all that land just north of downtown is ripe for development and redevelopment.

i agree 100% that downtown needs some spice added. a restaurant/shopping/entertainment district would really pull in some nightlife. ybor's great and all but it's situated next to a nasty ghetto. channelside is wasted potential.

not sure what to think about a mass transit system here. we need some centralization of business/shopping districts for it to make any sense in the first place. bus/light rail would be great if that were the case.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 989 times
I live in NYC and I am tired and sicked of dirty subway and brutal cold weather so I am thinking to move to Florida. Tampa is one of other cities that i am looking to buy a single family house 3 bed 2 baths, anyone can suggests where and how much should it be?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 PM

817 posts, read 2,006,398 times
I kind of hope so, and I kind of hope not.

I DO NOT want this area to become like South Florida. That place has changed for the worse, IMO.

However, it would be good for this area to see more of a base of educated, affluent people, and with it a corresponding increase in good, sustainable companies in industries like tech, medicine, finance, etc.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 PM

272 posts, read 540,286 times
Fifteen years ago or so Tampa was considered to be the "Next great city", not sure how that panned out for those making that claim. Tampa is lacking in some areas for sure, however getting around compared to say...Miami, is a breeze. As somebody said prior, Tampa is trying.

Downtown is just pitiful though compared to other cities, even after all the building they've done down there.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:17 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,047,558 times
Downtown is pitiful because they insist on putting housing in instead of things to bring people to the city. Honestly, outside of extended hours, why would ANYONE go to Tampa over say Brandon, Lakeland, St. Pete, Clearwater, etc? Outside of the fact that it costs about the same to live "in the city."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or