U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 AM

40 posts, read 51,493 times

Advertisements

Does anyone see Tampa (or that region) becoming the next Miami or San Diego or the next "hot" place to live? Does it seem like a place on its way up or on its way down? To me, Tampa seems to have all the benefits of living in a Florida or California city with limited amount of hassle (population growth, traffic and housing prices are moderate compared to Cali/SoFla). Thus, it almost seems like an un-discovered gem/value. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 AM

105 posts, read 521,051 times
I think there's a lot of potential...I've said before The Tampa Bay Area has a lot of natural beauty w/ the Bay and Beaches.....just need to add more upscale dining and more entertainment options to get in Miami's league...w/ the right leadership/smart growth it could happen

Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,772,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightgoose View Post
I think there's a lot of potential...I've said before The Tampa Bay Area has a lot of natural beauty w/ the Bay and Beaches.....just need to add more upscale dining and more entertainment options to get in Miami's league...w/ the right leadership/smart growth it could happen
That is if that's what your loooking for...I moved back from my 2 year stint in Lauderdale/Miami area because Tampa was more "laid back", and offered more of what I was looking for in a small to medium sized city, made it easier to actually "settle down"....

And yes, there is lots of potential, but SMART growth is needed, less sprawl, more density in the inner core, and mass transit for the entire region. It's a prime location in central Florida on the Gulf Coast, Excellent International Airport, A deep history in comparison to Florida cities, excellent Port(7th largest in the Country), and a blue collar feel, with white collar professionals throughout, and amenities of sister cities liek St. Pete and Sarasota so close.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM

15,771 posts, read 32,882,915 times
I agree, there is tremendous potential, because Tampa's location and excellent airport can't be beat.

The city needs to feel a bit more "unified" in my opinion, it's just too "patchy." And it definitely needs better transit options. And a real biggie - make downtown more than just a working destination - it really needs a vibrant downtown which would easily transition into Ybor, Channelside and the rest of the nearby areas. I would love to see it really blossom.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:22 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,243,928 times
Dunno about Tampa, but I hear that about St. Pete quite a bit.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,012,229 times
I live in San Diego County.
Not that great.

I can't see Tampa blowing up but it looks like a great place.
The Downtown looks kind of small(not too many hi-rises),and I don't know anything about the area but I will be out there for the Final Four.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:31 AM

286 posts, read 943,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejperryman View Post
Does anyone see Tampa (or that region) becoming the next Miami or San Diego or the next "hot" place to live? Does it seem like a place on its way up or on its way down? To me, Tampa seems to have all the benefits of living in a Florida or California city with limited amount of hassle (population growth, traffic and housing prices are moderate compared to Cali/SoFla). Thus, it almost seems like an un-discovered gem/value. Am I wrong?
If we can address the issues relating to sprawl and mass transit then absolutly. This area already is considered really livable and makes lists related to that.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 AM

69 posts, read 185,852 times
Tampa is laid back and i dont think it will anytime soon "blow up" as the next big thing. While there is a lot of potential here, Tampa has a lot of negatives also. My greatest disappointment is this city cant seem to keep up with the growth.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:16 AM

387 posts, read 1,469,961 times
tampaguy03, I agree. Actually I agree with many of your posts. I just don't want to see Tampa ever ended up with the real negative aspects of a city like Atlanta... I really hope it's not going that way.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:07 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,258,933 times
Tampa is trying to get on the map! To expand and grow is one thing, to become an extremely crime-ridden city is another-I hope we do grow and become more of a major metropolitan area, but without the major crime issues (the only problem is the bigger the city, more crime is usually in play). So, we shall see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or