Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:12 AM

69 posts, read 112,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I moved to Palm Harbor in Pinellas from north Dallas (Garland/Richardson) about five years ago. If we're just talking about housing and school, here's my 2 cents take for me personally since we looked at very similar neighborhood and school when we did the move:

Housing - cost about same and saw both areas went up about 30-35% (yes, that much) in prices since. Real estate taxes is going to be higher in Dallas but home insurance is higher here so they came about about the same. The SaveOurHome cap the real estate annual tax increase here much lower than what our friends in Dallas have to dealt with with their higher 10% increases year over year as the values go up. Back when we looked, the houses were generally smaller and choices were limited in finding a 4BR/3BA for our three kids. We spend less on utilities here since we don't have that scorching summer and freezing winter there. If you have to fix stuffs around the house and need to call electrician/plumber, it cost a bit more here. It's been a bit worse after Irma dealing with general contractors due to price hikes and availability since we had some ongoing remodeling work. Watch for storm windows and sliding doors when you buy as that can get really pricey to replace on the older homes. I like the block homes here that gives you a much more solid feel of a house vs the typical frame construction in Dallas area and is tighter to keep the bugs out. Finding home insurance here is a bigger deal than in Dallas where you can deal with more well known companies. Not too excited about having to mow the lawn year round here and the grass of choice is St Augustine everywhere it seems, nice to look at but not to roll around in.

Schools - since we have 3 kids in school, I'd say the school here is a notch below north Dallas top notch. To be specific I'm comparing the highly touted Palm Harbor University High School vs the Plano West ISD. It's more due to the quality of students than the quality of the school itself - the number of high driven and motivated kids and parents seems a bit less here for some reason, maybe it's the laid back lifestyle. There are plenty of options for advanced magnet programs here as well (IB, Medical, STEM, Engineering etc). I'm with the camp that says any involved parents and good kids can be successful anywhere and wouldn't depend on the school itself so it's not a knock on it at all. All our kids are involved in church, volunteers, sports, etc so frankly I see it as an opportunity with less competition. Florida also has the Bright Futures Program for those that did well and test well in high school to help with college expenses. I know of a few that got their degree done and reduced by quite a bit using this program.

Now about the complain about ethnic food here, man that's another thread in itself so I won't go into it here.
Thank you for your inputs. They were very helpful. I would also love to leave kids in a non-competing environment where they grow at their own pace, rather than being pushed into a rat race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 AM

212 posts, read 286,546 times
I think this sums up what has been said:

Economic Opportunities/Jobs - Dallas
Weather - Tampa
Cost of Living - About the same
Property Taxes - Tampa
Schools - Dallas but depends on District
Help with College - Tampa with Bright Futures
Traffic - Tampa
Mexican Food - Dallas
Seafood - Tampa
Proximity to Beach - Tampa

Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird45 View Post
I think this sums up what has been said:

Economic Opportunities/Jobs - Dallas
Weather - Tampa
Cost of Living - About the same
Property Taxes - Tampa
Schools - Dallas but depends on District
Help with College - Tampa with Bright Futures
Traffic - Tampa
Mexican Food - Dallas
Seafood - Tampa
Proximity to Beach - Tampa
Dallas seems to have a crime problem, no?

Old 12-11-2017, 03:17 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
It's more due to the quality of students than the quality of the school itself - the number of high driven and motivated kids and parents seems a bit less here for some reason, maybe it's the laid back lifestyle. There are plenty of options for advanced magnet programs here as well (IB, Medical, STEM, Engineering etc). I'm with the camp that says any involved parents and good kids can be successful anywhere and wouldn't depend on the school itself so it's not a knock on it at all. All our kids are involved in church, volunteers, sports, etc so frankly I see it as an opportunity with less competition. Florida also has the Bright Futures Program for those that did well and test well in high school to help with college expenses. I know of a few that got their degree done and reduced by quite a bit using this program.
^^^^^^
This.

Apathy is probably the best way to describe it.

I'm not sure why, as I came here from Midwestern states that have school systems that are some of the best in the country. There seems to be a lot of apathy amongst the parent(s) of these kids. Since they're less demanding, the system is less demanding of the kids.

Now as a former educator I'll come out and defend those in the classroom to the death - it's an environment, even at the best schools, that is thankless and poorly compensated. The people who choose to teach today are nothing short of deities in my book, as I've walked before them and know what they deal with.

That being said, parental involvement is a double-edged sword. The best school I worked in as far as parental involvement was a Title 1 school. Before that I worked in one of the top five elementary schools in the county, so I had a very valid point of reference. Why do I say this? Because (many) parents at high socio-economic schools treat the faculty like hired help. I actually had a parent tell me they were going to get me fired because I voided a test their child was cheating on. The parent was present and saw them do it. Really??

The parent(s) at Title 1 schools might not have been as involved because of their commitments, like making a living, but when it was time to be there for PTA or conference night, they came out en masse. If I made a call home to a parent at a Title 1 school, I got results that were noticeable the next day. If I called a parent from a "good" school, I would get challenged if I said anything negative about the child.

Anyway, my point is that there are plenty of good schools and teachers here. The system is such that you'll only get as much out of it as what you put in. That is, the more involved you can be as parents the better your children will do.

For what I know about schools in Texas from friends and relatives it sounds like they are pretty much comparable. I only warn you that things are in a real state of flux in Tampa as a result of major financial mismanagement, which has to trickle down to the students in more ways than one. Take a look at the local paper's education blog and read through it for a couple of weeks worth of posts:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192581227430047/about/

If you have specific questions about the education system here, you're welcome to PM me.

RM

Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
25th deadliest city USA......

25. Dallas, Texas
The murder rate in Dallas is 6.3 per 100,000. It is unchanged compared with the same period last year.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mur...u-s-cities/37/

Old 12-18-2017, 05:30 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,381 times
Quote:
I moved to Palm Harbor in Pinellas from north Dallas (Garland/Richardson) about five years ago. If we're just talking about housing and school, here's my 2 cents take for me personally since we looked at very similar neighborhood and school when we did the move:

Housing - cost about same and saw both areas went up about 30-35% (yes, that much) in prices since. Real estate taxes is going to be higher in Dallas but home insurance is higher here so they came about about the same. The SaveOurHome cap the real estate annual tax increase here much lower than what our friends in Dallas have to dealt with with their higher 10% increases year over year as the values go up. Back when we looked, the houses were generally smaller and choices were limited in finding a 4BR/3BA for our three kids. We spend less on utilities here since we don't have that scorching summer and freezing winter there. If you have to fix stuffs around the house and need to call electrician/plumber, it cost a bit more here. It's been a bit worse after Irma dealing with general contractors due to price hikes and availability since we had some ongoing remodeling work. Watch for storm windows and sliding doors when you buy as that can get really pricey to replace on the older homes. I like the block homes here that gives you a much more solid feel of a house vs the typical frame construction in Dallas area and is tighter to keep the bugs out. Finding home insurance here is a bigger deal than in Dallas where you can deal with more well known companies. Not too excited about having to mow the lawn year round here and the grass of choice is St Augustine everywhere it seems, nice to look at but not to roll around in.

Now about the complain about ethnic food here, man that's another thread in itself so I won't go into it here.
I will agree with most of this. I edited out the school comments because Im one of those believers in involvement. My son loves his Tarpon Springs School and is afters school clubs, getting straight A's, meeting kids, likes his teachers and comes home happy. Are they the best school ever? doubt it.. but he is enjoying it and learning while getting high school credits for electives.

With that said, We lived in SW Arlington and Mansfield. Very familiar with many parts of the DFW metro though. We actually would love to move back. Tampa is fine. It is as advertised and I wont go on and on about things that I dont like because there is too much to do and love here. I personally just enjoy the midwestern culture and the DFW area better.

My biggest gripe about Tampa (and keep in mind we have vacationed in the area for 12 years and almost moved here a few times so this isnt me speaking from just months of new experience) but it is a little trashy in parts. Drivers are terrible and I mean terrible.... Transplants from all over the world mixed with a million retirees and then add in all the kids driving and people with no license... ugh.

Insurance: Yes.. huge deal. we pay almost 3 times as much here with clean records. we have 4 cars and float right around $380 a month for full coverage on 3 and liability on 1.

Home insurance: we really lucked out, but most homes we were considering were running between 2400-3200 a year depending on the age of the roof and the hurricane protection. Luckily we found a house that was all upgraded so we save huge. Hurricane windows, doors and garage doors here and a new roof... that is the ticket.

Taxes; pretty close to Texas. We pay about $5500 a year on a $340K home. IN texas we paid about the same on a $300K home

Utility: I agree, we use ourr ac in the summer and fall, but keeping it around 76-78 here is very comfortable and with block construction homes it seems to keep it insulated better. We have a single level home so unlike our soaring two stories in DFW the heat and AC stays where we live. We havent really used AC or Heat since early november and dont imagine we will except when the weather drops and goes back up. Our highest utility bill was $280 in August. We dont have gas in our home so that was electric.

Home construction: ehh... it is as good or bad as anywhere and depends on the builder. I personally prefer the housing styles and finish out in Texas. the beautiful brick homeS! I am not a stucco fan. And here you have to have your stucco re-done every so often and it isnt cheap. Seems like everyone here has a pool and be sure to have a screened lanai to keep the bugs out.

Scenery: well Florida wins this one sorry. I love DFW but there is nothing to look at there. Here there is water everywhere. The wildlife is amazing. Every morning i say hello to the wild turkeys, Egrets, deer, alligator in our pond, peacocks, and a million other types of birds that hang out in our wood an by our ponds. ( i say ponds because i am from MN and these are NOT lakes here)

Traffic: a huge mess here. seriously, do not let people tell you it is not. DFW, of course it is there too but at least the infrastructure is there to support it. Here, other that 275, 75 and a couple highways, it is a bunch of two lanes roads that back up everywhere. stop lights every block. Texas has huge interstates with 6 lanes, not here.... very old systems here.

Humidity: I personally dont think it is that bad in Tampa. Especially out near the Gulf side. The temps are mild in the upper 80s and low 90s in the peak of the summer. 70s still though in December. upper 70s and low 80s begin around march here, but we dont see those upper 90s and tripe digits like DFW. The humidity in DFW is a little less but Tampa is not ass humid as Orlando or other SE States. The Gulf water air keeps temps and humidity down.

Tacos: Give me a break, Tacos? Im not a taco fan anymore, but I dont recall any Tacos worth bragging about in DFW and i dont look for them here either. But Seafood here is readily available and fresh. Plenty of really good steak houses too here in Tampa. Lots of organic stores or options too like DFW with Whole Foods, Sprouts, Earth Fare, and handful of other copycat stores.

Beaches: much nicer that Dallas

Tourism here gets annoying and probably one of my biggest issues. It is to be expected but Im an open and trusting person. I like to engage with strangers and most of them are not interested and then 2 of every 3 people you meet are not from here so if you meet someone you enjoy talking with, you will likely never see them again anyway.

I dont dive into politics on here, it upsets too many people.

People: People in DFW are much friendlier and helpful. Not everyone here is rude but if they are nice to you it is because the just moved here. If they ignore you, it is because the are native to the area and sick of all the people, if they are flat out rude to you its because there are from NY and realized this isnt NY and doesnt offer them everything they had there while being completely different.... if that makes sense, it will to some.

All in All... we have lived in several places and no one place is that much better than the next. It is as the old adage goes ..."it is what you make of it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay