Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 AM

45 posts, read 152,078 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are thinking of moving out of Miami to Western Florida. Anyone living in the Tampa area move there from Miami? Are you happy with the move? Any words of wisdom for us?

Thanks,

TP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
I used to live in Lauderhill and then Davie and worked in Miami.
I am originally from The Bronx.

I am about 45 minutes north of Tampa but lived in Pinellas when I first moved up this way.

I moved up here to have a more laid back life but if you like to have some nightlife you can stay closer to Tampa.

Overall I am quite a bit happier up here than I was down there but it is not for everyone.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 6,337 times
My husband and I were born and raised in Miami and moved up to Bradenton in 2005 for a job transfer and are now moving further north to be closer to work. It is hands down better than Miami, we love this coast much better. I do agree its not for everyone but just get to know the area, come up for a few days and just explore. I do think its more laid back. We haven't regreted it. Not sure how old you are but don't think that this coast is only for older people because just like Miami there is a bit of everyone. Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:53 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Yes it was the best decision ever! I was born and raised in miami and I left because I could not get a job. Found a job within a week of being here. People are a lot nicer here and there is tons of stuff to do.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:58 PM

45 posts, read 152,078 times
Thanks for all the replies.

We've actually been to the Tampa Bay area and love it. I'm glad to hear that those of you from Miami don't regret it, because we actualy like Miami. We just can't afford to live here anymore, and we are about to have our first child in July. We don't think Miami (or Broward for that matter) is the best place to raise kids. The west coast seems like a more family-oriented place. At least it always felt that way when I was there....

Thanks again!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:18 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
I was born and raised in North Miami Beach. Tampa isn;t a bad city or area to be in. Things are slower paced and less traffic (but still traffic, lol).
I live in brandon and really enjoy it. It has everything I possibly need and also within close distance to downtown. I honestly feel as though it's a great place to raise kids.
My friend just moved from Ft. Lauderdale last year and she really loves it here. She calls it a breather! lol. I do miss Miami, but I can always go and visit-it is only about 3 1/2 hours away....

Old 03-20-2008, 08:08 PM

54 posts, read 408,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
I do miss Miami, but I can always go and visit-it is only about 3 1/2 hours away....
What is it about Miami that you miss? (just curious)

Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,337 times
Default don't miss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2020 View Post
yeah My husband doesn't miss Miami at all and its so much cheaper up here. He complains when we have to go back to visit the area since our whole family lives there. Miami area isn't bad but This coast is better, in my opinion

Old 03-21-2008, 03:47 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
The larger city life. The nice night life. The malls....but not enough to keep me there....it's way too expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2020 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay