Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:53 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,865 times

Advertisements

I arrived on Tuesday and am currently staying at St. Pete's Beach. I'm scouting around for apartments in the area on the Gulf side. I checked out several apartments in Largo on Wednesday and don't think I could survive the traffic on Ulmerton! Yesterday I checked out Seminole and found an apartment complex that I really liked but unfortunately they don't have a model to show. Today I'm heading South and checking out several apartment complexes toward Gulfport.

Any suggestions as to what to see/do while I'm here? I hit the Dali Museum last evening and want to go to the Florida Botanical Gardens and Buffalo City Bar (I'm originally from WNYS)

Anything else? I'm here until Tuesday AM. I'd appreciate info on apartment complexes here too--especially ones I should stay away from.

I have to say people have been pretty friendly around here. I was a Beall's in Largo and struck up a conversation with the sales associate as I was making my purchase. She said that if I do end up moving here to stop back in and let her know and she'll show me around!

As I quipped on my FB page on Wednesday: I forgot what 68 and sunny feels like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 01:40 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,383,187 times
St Pete Beach is a separate city from St Petersburg.

I can't help you, it is 17 years since I lived the south end of the county.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I arrived on Tuesday and am currently staying at St. Pete's Beach. I'm scouting around for apartments in the area on the Gulf side. I checked out several apartments in Largo on Wednesday and don't think I could survive the traffic on Ulmerton! Yesterday I checked out Seminole and found an apartment complex that I really liked but unfortunately they don't have a model to show. Today I'm heading South and checking out several apartment complexes toward Gulfport.

Any suggestions as to what to see/do while I'm here? I hit the Dali Museum last evening and want to go to the Florida Botanical Gardens and Buffalo City Bar (I'm originally from WNYS)

Anything else? I'm here until Tuesday AM. I'd appreciate info on apartment complexes here too--especially ones I should stay away from.

I have to say people have been pretty friendly around here. I was a Beall's in Largo and struck up a conversation with the sales associate as I was making my purchase. She said that if I do end up moving here to stop back in and let her know and she'll show me around!

As I quipped on my FB page on Wednesday: I forgot what 68 and sunny feels like!
beautiful day in the 60's today....meanwhile up north is....

Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,578 times
It's called St. Pete Beach, not St. "Pete's" Beach.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 5,507 times
What size apt are you looking for? What is your budget? Do you have pets? Kids? Apt complex only or condo/house rental OK? Where do you anticipate working?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
It's called St. Pete Beach, not St. "Pete's" Beach.

Yeah, I figured that out this time around...

Old 01-15-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock & A Hard Place View Post
What size apt are you looking for? What is your budget? Do you have pets? Kids? Apt complex only or condo/house rental OK? Where do you anticipate working?
I will be retired so I won't necessarily need to be near work unless I decide to pick up a part time job. No kids (daughter getting her own apartment back in CT), no pets but I'd like to keep that option open.

I limited my search to apartment complexes I found on Trulia and Apartment.com though since then I've stumbled across other websites that seem to have more info on condos. I DON'T want a house, though I'd entertain a a rental in a 55+ trailer park. At this point I don't know what my monthly retirement income will be so I've focused on places under $999. Ideally, I would like 2 bed/1 bath but for the most part they're a hair out of my current price range so I'll settle for a larger 1 bedroom (700-800 + sq ft)

So far I've found 2 apartment complexes that I like--one in Seminole and one in the Broadwater near Gulfport. They both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm leaning toward the one in Seminole as it's within walking distance to the town park and is very close to Seminole City Center. It's a small complex and I was told to apply in June/July for October and I'd be put on a waiting list so availability may be an issue.

I probably toured a dozen or so places in Largo, Seminole and lower St. Petersburg. I ruled out Largo pretty early on as most of the apartment complexes run along Ulmerton Rd. which I found challenging to drive. I've seen a few 55+ apartment units which were in my price range but were older and small with tiny closets and no storage. I've driven through several 55+ trailer parks I've seen listings for in Trulia just to get an idea of the locations/neighborhoods if I should decide to buy in the future. My friend's parents own a manufactured home in a 55+ community in Largo. Her dad gave me a little tour of his favorite haunts including Clearwater Beach. He loves it here (I think he's secretly paid by the tourism industry )

Yesterday I checked out an apartment (the office was closed) and was told by a tenant who was passing by, "Do yourself a favor and DON'T rent here!"

Faced with reality, I'm leaving tomorrow with a better idea of what's out here, but more confused than ever. Prior to arriving, I considered using a realtor for my search and now I sorta regret that I didn't. In any regard there's still time to do that (another excuse to come back ) As I have no family or friends here, it'll be a big step to essentially "start over." I have to say that for the most part I've found people very friendly here which is encouraging. I've even surprised myself--I've driven all over Pinellas County and managed on my own with little difficulty (despite the traffic!) For someone who hates to travel alone I did pretty well. Based on this experience, I just might try a solo trip to Europe

Old 01-20-2018, 08:43 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,831 times
I would say, if the complex is Costa Del Sol in Seminole go for it, Buena Vista is not so nice from my knowledge of
the area in which I have lived for 19 yrs

Old 01-20-2018, 02:27 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
I hear that Del Boca Vista is very nice, too.

RM

Old 01-22-2018, 05:36 AM

325 posts, read 441,607 times
When you get back where you came from please do us all a favor and spread the word that you WILL NOT be finding your Pot of Gold in Florida to your neighbors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay