Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 6,166 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be relocating to Tampa area this summer. I will be working near Carrollwood out of West LInebaugh Ave. I have been reading thousands of pages of information on areas to live and good high schools. I currently have two 9th graders and they attend a great school here. I live in a master planned community (HS is in the same area) and we are 10 min from your daily shops (TArget/Walmart/Barnes and Noble/Restaurants) and 20 minutes from higher end shopping area. My girls take the bus home and is a very safe neighborhood.

I am looking for an area that provides similar value to my family. Based on my research that meets the safety and high school criteria is Fish Hawk. But it seems very far away for from key shops and events. Other High School I was looking at was Bloomingdale HS. Area seem to be a mix?

Can anyone provide feedback for Bloomingdale? I like manicure areas where everyone takes care of their lawns, is safe to walk your dog at night and has a good high school.

thanks for your time and information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 03:57 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Bloomingdale East would more than fill your requirements and be less expensive than Fishhawk. Bloomingdale HS is a good school, it's not a Newsome (Fishhawk) but there's certainly nothing wrong with it and it gets consistently high grades. Bloomingdale will have a wide range of housing in a number of different communities within it, not to mention there is a YMCA, parks, and close proximity to basic retail like a Super Walmart and several grocery stores.

Fishhawk is somewhat isolated in the way that you describe. Nice area, but it's not really close to any major retail or other venues. You'll also pay a premium for living there, as most of the communities have a CDD which adds a substantial amount to your annual escrow.

However, no matter which area you choose, be aware that unless you work nontraditional hours your commute is going to be hellish, easily an hour in each direction if it's at peak times.

Just an aside - you would probably get better responses if you group your questions into one post when they're related...

RM

Old 01-18-2018, 05:26 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbluejazz View Post
Hello, I will be relocating to Tampa area this summer. I will be working near Carrollwood out of West LInebaugh Ave. I have been reading thousands of pages of information on areas to live and good high schools. I currently have two 9th graders and they attend a great school here. I live in a master planned community (HS is in the same area) and we are 10 min from your daily shops (TArget/Walmart/Barnes and Noble/Restaurants) and 20 minutes from higher end shopping area. My girls take the bus home and is a very safe neighborhood.

I am looking for an area that provides similar value to my family. Based on my research that meets the safety and high school criteria is Fish Hawk. But it seems very far away for from key shops and events. Other High School I was looking at was Bloomingdale HS. Area seem to be a mix?

Can anyone provide feedback for Bloomingdale? I like manicure areas where everyone takes care of their lawns, is safe to walk your dog at night and has a good high school.

Carrollwood has good schools and you can check schools out in the applicable website for schools. Carrollwood is very desirable and also busy with traffic like most places nowadays in Tampa Bay. Therefore you may want your commute not to be too long unless your working hours are flexible.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:27 AM

240 posts, read 286,861 times
I agree, Carrollwood is a great area. Don't deal with a commute out to Bloomingdale just for schools. Carrollwood has everything you need in the way of shopping, recreation, friendly clean area. I lived there for a while about 10 years ago. Would have stayed but wanted to move back near family. You will be near your kids if they get sick and need to be picked up, also for any after school activities. A lot easier than getting to Bloomingdale. Hillsborough County Schools are all one district so don't vary a lot, unless they are magnet schools.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,706 times
You don't want to drive from W.Linebaugh to anywhere around the Bloomingdale area on a daily basis IMO.
You might want to look into the area around West chase.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 6,166 times
Quote:

thank you all. I checked Carrolwood public school and I did not like the ratings and the feedback from parents. In addition did not like the curriculum of the school. I also checked West Chase and again not impressed by high school but also out of my price range for homes. $275K

Someone recommended Palm Harbour but houses are very old, small and need remodeling..Not something I want to do as is just me and my daughters...

I might be able to work 7-4pm. Would that be a terrible commute?

Old 01-25-2018, 11:24 AM

88 posts, read 108,552 times
Not sure what type of commute you have now, but I don't think you would want to do that commute from Bloomingdale just for the schools everyday even 7-4pm. It would take you an hr+ during rush hr. Maybe look into Lutz, which is just north of Carrollwood and has Steinbrenner HS.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:40 AM

212 posts, read 286,425 times
Also look at Land O Lakes.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:14 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
thank you all. I checked Carrolwood public school and I did not like the ratings and the feedback from parents. In addition did not like the curriculum of the school. I also checked West Chase and again not impressed by high school but also out of my price range for homes. $275K

Someone recommended Palm Harbour but houses are very old, small and need remodeling..Not something I want to do as is just me and my daughters...

Yes.

I see you said my "daughters" and may be looking for a 4BD home but 3/2/2 and about 1500 sq. ft you should be able to get a house in a good neighborhood with 275K, may be not in South Tampa but pretty much everywhere else. But you don't want to make that commute.

Best of luck!

Old 01-27-2018, 07:20 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:

You can find a nice home in the Bloomingdale East area for that price. A lot depends on what size and amenities you're looking for. In my neighborhood, which is about 20 years old now, $275 could net you a 2200 SF home with a pool. You're going to get the best bang for your buck in Bloomingdale for housing, compared to the other locations you mentioned.

A 7-4 commute from Carrolwood would probably be about 45 minutes to an hour. Outbound would be around 45 minutes, afternoon closer to an hour I'm guessing, as traffic always seems to be heavier in the afternoon rush hour for some reason. Looking at Google Maps for those times on weekdays it looks to be about 45 minutes to slightly more than an hour, but I take that with a grain of salt, as there are a number of different routes, all of which can ebb and flow especially if there is a wreck or other disruption.

You're welcome to PM me with specific questions about the Bloomingdale area and schools, if you like.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay