U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 PM

12 posts, read 30,503 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the St. Pete area (from IL) and haven't seen my situation addressed in other threads. As my standard of living will be less and there'll be sacrifices to weigh, I'm open to a temporary arrangement while adjusting to the area and saving for something better.

A bit about me: Single woman, 40, w/2 cats. Self-employed, no kids (schools and job commute not an issue). Love shopping, like entertainment, but not into partying. Hate typical apartments (need a little space) and traffic congestion. Priorites: safety, access to nice beach, COST.

It seems I have two options:
a.) Downtown St. Pete or Sarasota - live simply and temporary. Bring only the basics, put the antiques and garage items in storage, and leave the car behind. Save up for better.
b.) Dunedin, Safety Harbor, South Tampa - find a rental or sub-lease DEAL on spacious 2bdr w/garage (townhouse, duplex, house, etc.) in a safe but affordable area w/access to ammenities. (DEAL = less than $1K/mo.)

Am I right? Is it possible to exist on public transport and walking alone if downtown? (Access to necessities: groceries, vet, beach, etc.) Will I be able to get any deals off-season, and with the poor housing market right now, which could upgrade my standard of living? Shoot straight with me - I can take it. Any areas I've overlooked which fit my criteria will be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 09:17 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,258,571 times
You should be able to survive without a car...

Old 03-22-2008, 10:59 AM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,627,943 times
Try craigslist.com, apartments.com, rent.com, etc. to get a general idea of rents.

a lot of the 2 br+ are going for 1000ish+ (I've seen a few for less, but they're generally in less desired areas)

Old 03-22-2008, 03:59 PM

I already have a good idea of rent, etc. - wondering a bit more about the current state of affairs with the market and whether there's a selection of motivated people to rent/lease. (Maybe after spring breakers are gone?)

Also about whether you think the areas I've mentioned really fit my criteria. (Currently I'm leaning toward the downtown area - easy access to public transportation there, and the last thing FL needs is another car anyway.) Thanks so much for your replies.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:03 PM

849 posts, read 3,269,062 times
Default in St. Pete

yes except I'm not sure about the vet. There are always cabs and I think there's a mobile vet. Be prepared for cabs to cost $$$ Somewhat in S. Tampa but not to beach easily form there. 2 br/ garage for less than 1K hard and kitties will cost a huge "fee." that you won't get back. You really don't need the garage for the car.
I understand what you're saying on the atypical thing but this just isn't that sort of area. You'll get more for your money if you go a little more conventional. Most townhomes, etc, will be totally conventional in complexes. No funky in town neighborhoods that offer "quaint" affordable housing. Why leave the car behind. You can't even think Dunedin, safety Harbor, etc. without one. Even So. Tampa is not a great place without a car. You won't get to ALL necessities and again no beach for sure. The express bus to St. Pete requires 2 changes to get to the water. If you live in st. Pete, you can just hop on the beach trolley and get there so much faster and more easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacks View Post
I will be moving to the St. Pete area (from IL) and haven't seen my situation addressed in other threads. As my standard of living will be less and there'll be sacrifices to weigh, I'm open to a temporary arrangement while adjusting to the area and saving for something better.

A bit about me: Single woman, 40, w/2 cats. Self-employed, no kids (schools and job commute not an issue). Love shopping, like entertainment, but not into partying. Hate typical apartments (need a little space) and traffic congestion. Priorites: safety, access to nice beach, COST.

It seems I have two options:
a.) Downtown St. Pete or Sarasota - live simply and temporary. Bring only the basics, put the antiques and garage items in storage, and leave the car behind. Save up for better.
b.) Dunedin, Safety Harbor, South Tampa - find a rental or sub-lease DEAL on spacious 2bdr w/garage (townhouse, duplex, house, etc.) in a safe but affordable area w/access to ammenities. (DEAL = less than $1K/mo.)

Am I right? Is it possible to exist on public transport and walking alone if downtown? (Access to necessities: groceries, vet, beach, etc.) Will I be able to get any deals off-season, and with the poor housing market right now, which could upgrade my standard of living? Shoot straight with me - I can take it. Any areas I've overlooked which fit my criteria will be considered.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:04 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,924,736 times
You can walk around Hyde Park and SoHo at night. You should be able to get a place for the amount listed, but I doubt it will be a townhome. There are vets in the area but again trying to get there in a timely manner might be difficult.
Jessiesma is right about needing a car for things like a vet and getting to the beach. There are beaches on the Tpa side but it is on the bay not the gulf.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:42 AM

Smile That's why

I keep pushing St. Pete,
The Gulf beaches are close by and bus service to them is easy. From the Downtown transportation center, you can take a regular bus or the Beach trolley which serves beaches all the way from St. Pete Beach to Clearwater. You can stop at any of them. The only thing I don't know about is the vets because I don't think pets are allowed on the bus.
Now if they were "service cats"...LOL. I can recommend a good vet that is on a bus life if they can ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
You can walk around Hyde Park and SoHo at night. You should be able to get a place for the amount listed, but I doubt it will be a townhome. There are vets in the area but again trying to get there in a timely manner might be difficult.
Jessiesma is right about needing a car for things like a vet and getting to the beach. There are beaches on the Tpa side but it is on the bay not the gulf.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:00 PM

"Service cats" - that's HILARIOUS!!! (Maybe if I wear dark glasses and bring a cane?) Yeah, these two love service - they demand it!

Thank you all for great info - I'm decided on St. Pete downtown or very near (maybe north). I'll be looking for a sublease/sublet in a month or so!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 AM

Cool HaHa

that's funny too but you don't even need them.Service animals don't just aid the blind. They can even be "necessary for companionship" to those who have emotional issues severe enough to need "assistance."
With your criteria I'm sure a few people here would agree you qualify and if not try riding these buses a few times and you will. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacks View Post
"Service cats" - that's HILARIOUS!!! (Maybe if I wear dark glasses and bring a cane?) Yeah, these two love service - they demand it!

Thank you all for great info - I'm decided on St. Pete downtown or very near (maybe north). I'll be looking for a sublease/sublet in a month or so!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,924,736 times
I don't know.. the mental picture is hilarous. Can't you see someone walking around with sunglasses and cane with 2 cats on a leash?? You could get 2 little vest with Service Cat.. on them.

Be sure to check back and let us know how it os going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or