U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:34 PM

849 posts, read 3,273,547 times

Advertisements

and you have to be here one year at the time the semester starts, the first day of class. I think the OP said they're moving in Nov? that means she wouldn't be eligible for in-state until spring 2010 Or Summer 2009 if she wants to go Summers.

while we're at it, the clock starts ticking, not when she moves in but when she gets a drivers license and registers to vote. USF made me jump thru hoops on this. They relented when I showed that my husband was transferred by his job and that as mature people with a job, we didn't coe here intending to keep our "residence" out of state at Mommy and Daddy's. FL Unis don't have enough room for in-state students, they're clamping down on transfers and out of staters. It's pretty competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Someone mentioned the tuition. You would need to be classified as a resident before you can get the instate tuition I am not sure how long that will take though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:18 PM

24 posts, read 26,271 times
We should know wether I am selected for the job this week. It is kind of scary moving to a totally new location. We own a beautiful house here and we will probably keep it and just rent it out. I would hate to lose it in case we want to move back.

I have also read all the horror stories about home insurance (hurricane, flood etc.). I am also scared of the housing costs as well, there are some dives down there that cost alot more then my current house. Where are the lowest property / insurance costs that are still somewhat easy commutes to Macdill? I know we wont buy right away but its nice to mabye live in that location to see how it is going to work..

I would love to live by the beach or as close as possible to a pier for fishing but I understand this is where the high property tax and insurance is. I am a certified scuba diver as well so look forward to getting in the ocean. All we have are dirty lakes here.

I am so glad I found this forum it sure does offer alot of information.

Keep the info coming....anything helps

Bryan

Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 PM

849 posts, read 3,273,547 times
Cool people will correct you

that this is the GULF but geologically that's just an arm of the ocean, right? Salt water, ocean critters. all that. The best reefs tho are in the ATL off of the Keys. But that's a 5-6hr. drive depending on which key you go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll76 View Post
We should know wether I am selected for the job this week. It is kind of scary moving to a totally new location. We own a beautiful house here and we will probably keep it and just rent it out. I would hate to lose it in case we want to move back.

I have also read all the horror stories about home insurance (hurricane, flood etc.). I am also scared of the housing costs as well, there are some dives down there that cost alot more then my current house. Where are the lowest property / insurance costs that are still somewhat easy commutes to Macdill? I know we wont buy right away but its nice to mabye live in that location to see how it is going to work..

I would love to live by the beach or as close as possible to a pier for fishing but I understand this is where the high property tax and insurance is. I am a certified scuba diver as well so look forward to getting in the ocean. All we have are dirty lakes here.

I am so glad I found this forum it sure does offer alot of information.

Keep the info coming....anything helps

Bryan

Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 AM

203 posts, read 888,368 times
Hello!

I was raised in Bismarck, then the military has taken me all over the country. But no, I don't miss ND(but we do visit family every year.)

My husband commutes to MacDill from Sun City Center(South of Brandon) at 6:30am and 4pm. His commute is 30-40 minutes depending on traffic on the Crosstown. Lots of military in my community(Cypress Creek) so we are not too crazy to live this far out. We also have a good elementary and Middle school within blocks!

Good luck on your move!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:02 PM

24 posts, read 26,271 times
I am excited to hear from an original ND resident... So how do you like the area? I dont think I will miss the weather in ND one bit but will miss the hunting. I am interested to hear about gibsonton... anyone know anything about that area... would you need hurricane insurance there and how about property taxes? Everyone say a little prayer for me tonight as I hope to find out about the job tommorrow.. I am getting excited the closer it comes...

if I dont get the job I may just start looking outside the govt. Anyone know of anyone looking for an excellent IT technician? I have been running a business for over 5 years now and am the sole IT person for two hospitals in ND and 3 clinics and I also support over 200+ businesses in and around the area.. I can send my resume if needed... seriously let me know as all this hype about Florida has got me very interested.

Thank you so much,

Bryan

Old 03-29-2008, 06:54 PM

203 posts, read 888,368 times
Well, did you get the position?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the area. I can't believe I was on the beach while ND had snow!

As for Gibsonton, I don't know anything. I do know commute times in the Brandon/Riverview/ Sun City Center area all depend on how fast you can get to the Highway! I know some places in Brandon who have longer/same commute times as my husband does and Brandon is closer to Tampa. We live right off of 75- so commute times are shorter than being stuck in traffic for a few miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or