U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 AM

24 posts, read 25,773 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I recently was informed that I am being considered for a job with Macdill AFB as one of their computer techs. So me being the thorough type, I have started gathering as much info as I can in case I do get the job.

So here goes... I will be looking for a home to buy within 6 months of moving there. After I sell the one I have in ND... I am looking at a few different area's .: Lutz, Brandon mainly.. where am I going to find low crime rate, lower insurance / property taxes and good schools. I also dont want to take hours in traffic to drive down to the base. I love to Fish and Hunt so any comments on that would be great too. My Fiance will also be looking to get her masters in Accounting so we also will be looking for a good College.

I am also trying to find a friend I was in the AF with that lives in Brandon. I cant remember their last name but their first names are Faith and Paul and they are in their mid 30's paul I believe is half Korean and I know they had a child too. If you happen to live in Brandon and might know them please give me any info you have as I would love to get ahold of them.

Thanks for Everything I hope to hear anything you have to say.

Bryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 12:35 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,934,857 times
UTampa offers the accounting degree I am not sure if USF does.

Shortest distance to Macdill would be South Tampa or living over the gandy bridge

Brandon is nice especially the neighborhoods behind the mall not sure about lutz though

For your friend try military.com they have a locator

Old 03-22-2008, 02:35 PM

Thanks for your reply, I found my buddy and he now lives in Spring Hills, I am hoping that my fiance can get a job at the base as well working with the Finance or accounting. That way we can commute together. What kind of income are we going to need down there to afford to live.. mortgage, insurance, all that fun stuff.... any examples I know I will be starting out at a minimum of 42,000 and she should be able to find a job making at least 30,000 and when she gets her masters and CPA it will be alot more for her.

I just want to live in a nice community with low crime and an easy commute to the base & a good school for my son.

Any other comments anyone else has are very welcome even if you want to call me crazy for moving to Florida ...I am weighing all pros and cons so keep em coming

Thanks Guys

Bryan

Old 03-23-2008, 01:16 PM

849 posts, read 3,266,609 times
Default Usf

does have accounting and so does St. Petersburg College(4 year)
Fiancee could do USF from Lutz or Brandon but for you Brandon is better. St. Pete has a campus of USF and as previous poster said it's not a bad ride especially if you live downtown.. Fun stuff for young folks too. Closer to beaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
UTampa offers the accounting degree I am not sure if USF does.

Shortest distance to Macdill would be South Tampa or living over the gandy bridge

Brandon is nice especially the neighborhoods behind the mall not sure about lutz though

For your friend try military.com they have a locator

Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Default you'll so it on 42K

without too much difficulty but wait on the house. You'll see the market get worse before it gets better. Rent to get to know the area and then buy. Believe me the market isn't goin gto "take off" in that amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll76 View Post
Thanks for your reply, I found my buddy and he now lives in Spring Hills, I am hoping that my fiance can get a job at the base as well working with the Finance or accounting. That way we can commute together. What kind of income are we going to need down there to afford to live.. mortgage, insurance, all that fun stuff.... any examples I know I will be starting out at a minimum of 42,000 and she should be able to find a job making at least 30,000 and when she gets her masters and CPA it will be alot more for her.

I just want to live in a nice community with low crime and an easy commute to the base & a good school for my son.

Any other comments anyone else has are very welcome even if you want to call me crazy for moving to Florida ...I am weighing all pros and cons so keep em coming

Thanks Guys

Bryan

Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 PM

thank you so much for the replies, where should I look for a place to rent in Brandon or St. Pete where crime is lower and good school for my son. As far as the salary goes will we be ok making around 60-70K together in that area?

Anyone here know much about the base and working as a civilian employee on base? What are chances for promostion and about how long does it take till your first promotion? I just want to be comfortable when we get there and not struggle to pay all the new bills.

Anyone else have anymore ideas I am up for anything you have to say.. oh by the way we just got 5 inches of snow.... nice first day of spring huh?

Thanks guys and gals

Bryan

Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 AM

Default well

I don't think there's a big diff. in crime but for your other needs, Brandon. there are good schools lots of apartments that look nice (we don't have kids so too suburban for us). Fishing is anywhere and I don't really know about hunting but Brandon is also closer to the inland rural parts of the state so you can be in the wilderness a lot quicker from there. It will limit your fiancee pretty much to USF or UT but that's an easy commute. UT is a private school so $$$$ for tuition. USF is state and even out of staet tuition is a lot less.
You will be fine with 60-70K. Maybe not a lavish life style but more than adequate.
Enjoy the snow. Although I can't handle walking in it anymore, I have come to miss the seasons after just a few years. But yeah, first day of Spring, brrr. Even for N Dak. that's pretty cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll76 View Post
thank you so much for the replies, where should I look for a place to rent in Brandon or St. Pete where crime is lower and good school for my son. As far as the salary goes will we be ok making around 60-70K together in that area?

Anyone here know much about the base and working as a civilian employee on base? What are chances for promostion and about how long does it take till your first promotion? I just want to be comfortable when we get there and not struggle to pay all the new bills.

Anyone else have anymore ideas I am up for anything you have to say.. oh by the way we just got 5 inches of snow.... nice first day of spring huh?

Thanks guys and gals

Bryan

Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,580,949 times
Hey Bryan, I live in the Carrollwood area just a bit southwest of Lutz. I regularly volunteer in the housing department at MacDill AFB. I can tell you firsthand that the commute during regular business hours is brutal. I wouldn't recommend it. Most military families I've met prefer to live in South Tampa if you can afford it. If not, then Brandon is a good choice. I think someone else suggested the St. Pete area over the Gandy Bridge, but I'm not familiar with the daily commute for that area.

P.S. A friend of mine goes wild hog hunting regularly, and you can fish almost anywhere there's water which is plentiful.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Default Karen

normally the commute isn't so bad but they are working on the Frankland bridge for a couple of years so that's bad at any time and as a result people are taking the Gandy so that is getting clogged. This mess will take until Spring 2010 +/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Hey Bryan, I live in the Carrollwood area just a bit southwest of Lutz. I regularly volunteer in the housing department at MacDill AFB. I can tell you firsthand that the commute during regular business hours is brutal. I wouldn't recommend it. Most military families I've met prefer to live in South Tampa if you can afford it. If not, then Brandon is a good choice. I think someone else suggested the St. Pete area over the Gandy Bridge, but I'm not familiar with the daily commute for that area.

P.S. A friend of mine goes wild hog hunting regularly, and you can fish almost anywhere there's water which is plentiful.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:17 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,934,857 times
Someone mentioned the tuition. You would need to be classified as a resident before you can get the instate tuition I am not sure how long that will take though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or