Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 10:35 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times

Advertisements

Speaking generally of other states and cities/counties:

Glassdoor gives a rough idea

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/p...RCH_KO0,14.htm

My brother-in-law is a LEO in Detroit, MI (Wayne County). He started out at a low salary...crazy low for what he has to deal with on a daily basis. He's been a LEO for about 15 years now and makes 55K a year which isn't too bad for the area and his benefits are top-notch. No co-pays/employee contributions medical, free dental and vision. Great pension plan so this dude will be set up for retirement at 55 if he wants to retire then. He loves his job and wouldn't do anything else; he loved it even when they were paying him the equivalent of $12 an hour to do it.

IMO law enforcement is like teaching & first responders--underpaid for the job they have to do.

The real money so they say is in the state police; he has friends who are regular traffic patrol troopers in the MI State Police and they are making $60K+.

I don't know about Florida but a way to find out these salaries in other states I have lived is to look for vacancies on the state job boards because they often give a salary range. In some states, they list the salaries of these people in city budget reports. You can try those as a starting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 03:16 PM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Florida State Police are one of the worst paying LEO employers from what I recall being said in the media - they can't recruit or retain people because their pay scale is so lousy for the requirements they insist on for the job. They got an increase recently but I don't think it brought them anywhere close to what most other states pay their troopers.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: