Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:43 PM

20 posts, read 19,817 times

Advertisements

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
A couple days ago I thought some thing was on fire because of the smoke. The smoke turned out to be massive amounts of pollen being dropped from the pine trees with every breeze. I've never noticed the pine trees do this with such quantity its lot finer than oak pollen.

There are several oak species but the live oak is number 1 for the area.

The live oaks are dropping leaves now, this will be followed by the new season leaves and the flowering with huge amounts of green pollen raining in sheets turning every thing green. It can be a mess on every thing. Can really cause problems with allergies. To bad because many have to close the windows and turn on the AC. The winter and early spring are the times you can really cut down on the power bill.
I'm bothered by late summer and into mid Nov with plant allergies more than in the spring.

Tampa currently could be compared to NOVA weather in late April early May with regards to plants starting to bloom or in bloom. The next month will be pretty bad for allergy suffers and keeping your car, house, pool, sidewalks clean and not green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 02:58 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
I am sitting here rubbing my eyes nonstop. An early spring has the pollen in full force here every day. I would usually not be this bad until March.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:51 PM

428 posts, read 415,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedward7 View Post
I am thinking about moving from Va Beach to Tampa. My last deciding factor might be my daughter's allergies. She is currently receiving allergy shots but pollen is a big thing for her. I have read various reports and it would seem that Virginia Beach actually has more allergens but Tampa has a longer duration of allergy seasons. Since is generally always warm it sounds like the pollen is always in full effect. I have read other forums and some people from the north say they get allergies and some have no issues. I am looking for someone specially from this area who has really bad allergies that can give me some input. Thanks!!!

Kay
We lived on the east coast of FL when we first moved to the state and it was much better there than here... The coastal breeze + salt air = worked wonders for our kids allergies. Our son's perpetual red, chapped nose and "allergic shiners" that comes with his congestion were gone... It was awesome that they both did so well there after a lifetime of non-stop allergy issues. Since we came to Tampa... Daughter put on inhalers because she's had many flare-ups, son back to old symptoms... Now being in Tampa, allerigies for both kids-- they're so much worse than when we lived up north and thought they had it rough there- by multiples. Felt guilty moving here health-wise for them after experiencing such a repreive on the east coast of the state. But my kid's allergies many be very different than yours. One thing I do know, is that we had two different doctors on east coast of FL that said many people with allergies do well with the coastal breezes that help carry the salt air on that side of the state... They equated it to clearimg passages out with saline- in that way, it made sense to me. Tough decision- good luck.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
We lived on the east coast of FL when we first moved to the state and it was much better there than here... The coastal breeze + salt air = worked wonders for our kids allergies. Our son's perpetual red, chapped nose and "allergic shiners" that comes with his congestion were gone... It was awesome that they both did so well there after a lifetime of non-stop allergy issues. Since we came to Tampa... Daughter put on inhalers because she's had many flare-ups, son back to old symptoms... Now being in Tampa, allerigies for both kids-- they're so much worse than when we lived up north and thought they had it rough there- by multiples. Felt guilty moving here health-wise for them after experiencing such a repreive on the east coast of the state. But my kid's allergies many be very different than yours. One thing I do know, is that we had two different doctors on east coast of FL that said many people with allergies do well with the coastal breezes that help carry the salt air on that side of the state... They equated it to clearimg passages out with saline- in that way, it made sense to me. Tough decision- good luck.

YES

When I go visit friends in Miami in Feb/March I am always astonished at the lack of pollen down there. I feel immediate relief once I get south of Naples.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:12 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
I seen Tampa in a lot of top 10 worst places for allergy sufferers. It depends, if you live close to the beach you are fine, newer developments out in the boonies are also not to bad since they are mostly landscaped with palm trees, I live in South Tampa, which is a nice area and one of the things people like is the tree coverage, but it also means your car has an inch of green soot covering it +6 months out of the year. Then you have grass and mold, its just year round here, in rainy season you get a reprieve for a bit but then the wet grass gives to mold, so pick your poison.
The first 2 years in Tampa for me was a constant battle of, allergy shots, steroids, trying to find the right combination. The good thing is you do have some very good allergists/ENTs here. After a couple of years it just went away for me, I am to the point where I can manage with Zyrtek as long as I stay on top of it. If I let my congestion build up it turns to bronchitis, my son is the exact same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay