Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 AM

40 posts, read 64,948 times

Advertisements

It's been 10 years since my last move. I know it varies greatly, but can anyone give me a ballpark number on what moving companies charge these days? I really have no idea how much the costs are.

I am interested in moving a 4-bedroom house from DC to Tampa.

What are the costs just to hire the mover to load the truck in DC and drive the stuff the Tampa?

What if I want them to pack the stuff too?

Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM

15 posts, read 96,298 times
I'm looking to relocate too - from St Paul to Tampa - we've been researching costs online. You can also find moving companies in your yellow pages. To rent a truck and do it all ourselves we're looking at around $1,200 just for a truck and car dolly!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:57 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Don't know how much cost have gone up due to the increase in gas but I have a friend who moved from Tampa to Nashville and it cost her $5,000 for them to pack and move her a few years ago.
You can call and have them give you an estimate. Be sure to check their rating with the BBB before signing anything.

When I moved 600 miles again, a 2 years ago, I had movers move my LR, BR, DR, kitchen table and backer's rack and Washer/dryer for $2k. We then packed and moved the rest in a Uhaul.

You might also consider PODs if you want to keep the cost down and take your time in packing.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,219 times
Default U Haul does offer tha service

but if your origination point is DC you have to check the rates from there. I think here in St. Pete they said $45+/- an hour for a crew. Interstate moves used to be based on weight not time so with the price of gas, and a big U-haul getting maybe 5-6/gal. it might pay to do a regular mover. Check into a "pods" type unit. They can leave it with you for several days. you can load at leisure and they pick it up then leave it at your new place and you can unload at leisure. Packers get paid by the hour and it's not minimum wage. it's worth it becasue any small mistake on your part, they won't take responsibility for damage.
You're talking several thousands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejperryman View Post
It's been 10 years since my last move. I know it varies greatly, but can anyone give me a ballpark number on what moving companies charge these days? I really have no idea how much the costs are.

I am interested in moving a 4-bedroom house from DC to Tampa.

What are the costs just to hire the mover to load the truck in DC and drive the stuff the Tampa?

What if I want them to pack the stuff too?

Does anyone know?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:00 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,219 times
Default I didn't know

if the North to South "rule" applied to FL. Guess it does. I mean that it cost a lot more to rent a truck in the North and move South than vice versa. The reason is they get a glut of trucks coming here but not enough returning back up north. You will spend tons in gas and you'll need hotels what 2-3 nights? Can you make it to Nashville in one go? If you can, Nashville to Atlanta isn't bad and Atl to here is about 6 hrs. in a car, a bit more in a truck towing a car. Check movers first. It might be more but worth the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dede0726 View Post
I'm looking to relocate too - from St Paul to Tampa - we've been researching costs online. You can also find moving companies in your yellow pages. To rent a truck and do it all ourselves we're looking at around $1,200 just for a truck and car dolly!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:23 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I will throw this in.. if I had to do it over again, I would probably have the movers pack everything, but I was the only one packing up things. A very dear friend came over and helped me with the kitchen but everything else I had to do myself. Plus, by the time we loaded the truck realized we should have gotten a bigger truck because it was full and I had to leave some stuff behind.

It all comes down to if it is worth the money to have them do it.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:04 PM

121 posts, read 515,407 times
Well, here's an option for you, too: How attached are you to the things you have?

A 4 BR move across several states like that should run you at least 3k. Neither option is better than the other, but you could either a) pay the 3k+ to have all that you own packed up and move, or b) fit you, your family, and your most treasured belongings into the cars, sell everything you've got that won't fit, and move for only the price of the gas, and the meals. Then when you get here, spend the 3k+ you'd have paid the movers on new furniture.

On the one hand, it's a nice feeling to start fresh, with fresh furnishings. On the other, it'll be difficult to furnish a 4 BR for 3k. So in the end, which would you rather do?

Old 03-25-2008, 05:18 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
If you have your own truck, you can do like we are if, buy a used enclosed trailer for a few thousand dollars, pack it yourself, then sell it when your done with it. at least you get some of your money back instead of just giving it to a U-haul company. We find that many of the enclosed trailers for sale we looked at have been used just for that reason only.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 PM

24 posts, read 149,034 times
We just moved our things from upstate NY. It really depends on how much "stuff" you have. I cleaned out A LOT of things (22 yrs of accumulation) sold some of my furniture, and left the rest for the buyers of our home. We had the movers pack everything, load it and transport it to Tampa and it cost us almost $3900. It goes by weight, distance and with the high price of gas there's now a fuel surcharge. It was so worth it not having the hassle of packing everything. They come in and it's packed up in a day and loaded the next. If you have nice things, I would suggest insuring it so they are responsible for any damage.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:33 PM

265 posts, read 974,938 times
When I moved down in September, from Atlanta to Tampa I paid $4,500 for a sparsely furnished 3BR/2Bath home. This covered only the shipping/insurance/fuel costs. We did all of our own packing and boxing. We used United Van Lines and they did alright by us, all of our items arrived when we were told they'd arrive and in one piece. If your considering moving you owe it to yourself to check out Movingscam.com and read over the horror stories there. You wont use an internet based mover afterward I assure you. Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: