Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times

Advertisements

Years ago the signs they were holding said something to the affect : Looking for a job or will work for food.
Now they simply state "Want $$$", At least there upfront now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
My favorite is the approach at the gas station - "I need $20 for gas to get to my Mom's in (wherever). Can you help me?"

My response - "Sure, I'll put $5 of gas in your car, but I'm not going to give you money."

I think in the 8-10 times this has happened to me I've bought gas once. When they find out you're not going to give them cash they walk away. If that happens I'll go inside and tell the person at the counter about them.
I was at Taco Bus a few years back (yeah, I know...) and some guy asked for money for food. I told him, "Sure, get in line and I'll add you to my ticket." He then told me that Mexican upset his stomach and he wanted to go to Checkers. "Sorry. Don't carry cash."

I was nicer back then. Now I just say no.

I was on my way back from Atlanta a few weeks ago. I was within an hour of Valdosta when I got one of the gas scammers. I said no. I then went into the gas station to let them know that they had a scammer. I got a blank look and a "no?" "Yeah, blond woman, pink shirt... Right there." "We haven't got any complaints." "Well, here I am..."

Needless to say, they allow her to beg.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:55 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I am reminded of a panhandler who was on the news some years ago. He commuted from New Jersey to NYC every day to panhandle. Was making good money at it.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:57 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
I don't in the US. When I lived in DC, I would see them go into liquor stores after they collected some money. I felt I was hurting them rather than helping them be enabling them to buy alcohol.

We have a home in Mexcio, too. The beggars here aren't aggressive and are mostly badly disabled (no legs or no arms or club feet). I will give them small change as I exit a store and they sit there with a tin can. I have been told by other Mexicans that these are not scammers. Here in Central MX there is a strong work ethic. Those who cannot work are pitied. Mostly they seem to be victims of birth defects.

And by small change I mean under a peso, which is currently trading at about a US nickel.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:28 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,413 times
I never give cash on the street. Food for sure.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:01 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Some years ago I worked with a charity that used to deliver sandwiches that had reached their sell-by donated from local shops to the homeless.
One night just after we'd delivered some to one homeless guy in a store doorway the sandwiches came flying back out with the shout " not f***ing smoked salmon again."
If you must give to panhandlers then always food and never money as you're often just feeding an addiction.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:57 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Some years ago I worked with a charity that used to deliver sandwiches that had reached their sell-by donated from local shops to the homeless.
One night just after we'd delivered some to one homeless guy in a store doorway the sandwiches came flying back out with the shout " not f***ing smoked salmon again."
If you must give to panhandlers then always food and never money as you're often just feeding an addiction.
Muffin stumps?

RM

Old 03-10-2018, 07:47 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,020,115 times
I don't give away cash, period. But I have bought food for beggars in parking lots a few times. Plus a couple food / school supply drives every year and maybe a Christmas toy or two. But I don't give out cash cos I don't wanna buyem a pack of cigarettes or a beer.

And I do get fed up with all the begging all over town though. It's every dang stoplight, every grocery store, every parking lot, every shopping plaza. "'scuse me, sir." "Hey, sir. Sir?" "God bless you, sir." Non-stop somedays. It gets obnoxious after a while constantly bein' heckled for money everywhere you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay