Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times

Advertisements

Do you give to panhandlers? I was for a short while - occasionally if I can, I'll give extra food/drink that I might have in the car when I'm stopped and they gladly accept.

To give or not to give: Should you hand over a dollar to a homeless person on a street corner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 05:43 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,167,670 times
Yep

Old 03-08-2018, 06:00 PM

last time I was at Panera outdoors St Pete and a couple went inside and picked up some to-go items and walked out to a older man sitting on the curb - thought that was cool - they tried to do it without drawing attention to what they were doing, but it was obvious - giving to others makes you feel good a lot of times- in Tampa and STP the homeless, some with mental issues, are everywhere, it seems - pretty sad situation.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
If i have some loose change i dont mind giving it to pan handlers ,i always think under different circumstances it could be me being in need of some one elses help.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,021,082 times
Nope. I drive around often enough to see them with differing signs, or (my personal favorite) different kids.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Nope. I drive around often enough to see them with differing signs, or (my personal favorite) different kids.
One day you might see seem walking to their nice Mercedes after a long day on the curb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbcDdPsQeMA

Old 03-09-2018, 03:41 AM

8,775 posts, read 5,068,013 times
Food is better, money can be used for drugs or alcohol.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:28 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,424,256 times
There was a panhandler working the bus stop- his mother died about 9 times in 2 weeks. Needed money to get to Miami , maybe about 10 bucks.

He’s still there but I don’t know what his story is now.

Another woman works a parking lot in Boynton. She doesn’t know anyone in town; she needs money for her kids. After 3 months in that parking lot she pretty much knows all the regulars!

There’s s woman who hauls some of her stuff in a shopping cart. She has a lot of stuff, that’s why I say some. Bags and bags- she camps out on a corner on Federal in Delray. She is soooo sweet. I’m sure some people complain about her being there, but it’s just heart-wrenching. Folks bring her food and water, take her to the restaurant down the street. She loves stuffed animals.

Then there’s an older gentleman on Military who’s in the same boat. He camps near a KFC but it’s hard to get him to take food. I’ve seen people approach him with buckets of chicken, etc and he turns it away.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:18 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,589,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Then there’s an older gentleman on Military who’s in the same boat. He camps near a KFC but it’s hard to get him to take food. I’ve seen people approach him with buckets of chicken, etc and he turns it away.
Must need "Gluten" free range chicken. life can be tough on the street with special needs.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:40 AM

5,980 posts, read 7,390,056 times
No. And as the recent article in the Times says:

To give or not to give: Should you hand over a dollar to a homeless person on a street corner? | tbo.com

I can see giving them food, but not cash.

I work downtown, and despite the best efforts of Bob and friends, they still panhandle on the streets during lunch hour. I don't like going into Gaslight Park as they're all over the place there, almost as bad as the Jehovah's Witnesses or Christian Scientists that sit at the entrance with their stand full of pamphlets. They congregate in the park because it's a safe place across from the Tampa Police headquarters.

My favorite is the approach at the gas station - "I need $20 for gas to get to my Mom's in (wherever). Can you help me?"

My response - "Sure, I'll put $5 of gas in your car, but I'm not going to give you money."

I think in the 8-10 times this has happened to me I've bought gas once. When they find out you're not going to give them cash they walk away. If that happens I'll go inside and tell the person at the counter about them.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay