Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM

162 posts, read 327,907 times

Advertisements

I was just talking to my friend who moved to a saint Myers area. She said that in Florida your kids don’t go to their local school but they go wherever there is rk
In the county. Is this so?

As of now, I’m looking into Lithia and Lakeland Highlands. I want to know when I purchase a house where my kids will go to school! I’m confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 03:59 PM

5,913 posts, read 7,254,662 times
Your post is confusing...

I have no idea where "a saint Myers" area is. Maybe you mean "Ft. Myers"?

"wherever there is rk in the county"? Does this translate into "room"?

Anyway, whatever you've been told is wrong. Period. Here are the choices in every county in Florida as far as I know (and I used to work in education here, so I have a little experience...)

Neighborhood school, or "attendance zone": This means wherever your home address is, your children will attend the school assigned to that address. In Lithia, it's probably Fishhawk Creek or Bevis elementaries, Randall Middle, and Newsome HS. Depending on the distance from the school transportation may be provided.

Special Assignment: You can request "special assignment" for your students to attend a school outside their attendance zone. There are a lot of reasons for doing so, but you have to be living here and make an application for it in person. You'll also have to provide any and all transportation if your request is granted. Schools that are at or around capacity are not available for special assignment.

Magnet Schools: Theme/fixed discipline schools - that is, schools whose curriculum focuses on a particular subject area, or have an IB (international baccalaureate) program. Again, you have to apply and be accepted, meaning you'r not eligible until you're physically here. There is a window for applications annually, if you're outside of that time frame you have to wait until next year.

Charter Schools: Private, for profit schools funded partially by the (public) school district. Often a notch above the neighborhood schools, but not always. No transportation, you have to apply and be accepted to attend. Charters have been accused of "cherry picking" students to avoid "problem children" with discipline and other issues, but there's little proof of this. However, having worked in a charter for a short time, I can assure you that at least the one I was in was far from arbitrary in their acceptance practices....

And lastly, have you bothered to look at the school district's web site? All this information is readily available there:

Home - Hillsborough County Public Schools

RM

Old 03-24-2018, 09:12 PM

6,593 posts, read 4,966,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cjj View Post
I was just talking to my friend who moved to a saint Myers area. She said that in Florida your kids don’t go to their local school but they go wherever there is rk
In the county. Is this so?

As of now, I’m looking into Lithia and Lakeland Highlands. I want to know when I purchase a house where my kids will go to school! I’m confused.
Counties run the school boards who make up the rules, i know Ft Myers you do pick you top 4 schools then you get assigned one. In hillsborough county, its by zone of attendance, so yea you go to your neighborhood school, like the other poster mentioned there are other programs and ways you can attend different schools, but if you do nothing you can always go to your neighborhood school.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:07 AM

162 posts, read 327,907 times
Thank you both for clarifying

Old 03-26-2018, 11:29 AM

65 posts, read 56,047 times
I wonder what the OP found worse, not knowing something; or asking and getting an uber-snarky response from good old RM?

Old 03-26-2018, 06:53 PM

5,913 posts, read 7,254,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2floridatoo View Post
I wonder what the OP found worse, not knowing something; or asking and getting an uber-snarky response from good old RM?
It's a bit tiring when the OP is posting like a maniac all over the forum asking essentially the same questions, both in new posts and existing threads, on top of sending PMs to posters on the same subjects. Not only that, but don't people bother proofing what they're going to post before they hit the "Submit Reply" button?

Is that too much to expect? For some, maybe it is.....

However, say what you wish, I still provided them with a detailed response that addressed their somewhat cryptic question.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: