Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 12:47 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I mean, Tampa's been trying to be a "huge city" since the creation of Ybor... In 1887. To say "many" didn't expect to be in a huge city is saying that there are many stupid people.
don't worry -you'll get your big city - visit Miami and see what comes w/ it - enjoy.....some of us we'll be vamous to better places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 01:25 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
don't worry -you'll get your big city - visit Miami and see what comes w/ it - enjoy.....some of us we'll be vamous to better places.
I don't want a big city. But I do want a decent place to get a bagel.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:39 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'll be more than happy to enjoy it.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:11 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Population growth isn’t necessarily a bad or a good thing it can be a very good thing if the growth is managed well.

As someone that loves the bustle and vibrancy of a city with a cool
Urban atmosphere, I think that those on other side could still
understand BucFans and others gripes about “urban sprawl” of which metro TB is among worst in country, and not showing any signs of slowing. Bradenton/Sarasota is booming out of control too, and it isn’t really adding anything new or enriching to my life, it’s just making it more expensive to buy a house, and adding on to my commute/Drive around town time.

I think that I’m relatively balanced as a poster, and can certainly say there are things I like (and find to like, and do) in this area on a regular basis. With that said, it’s frustrating to see money map movement to keep the place from becoming an endless gridlock sprawl (whether that be adding, or considering earlier on increased park spaces or bike lanes, public transit/alternative methods, the way things are zoned/built, and road extensions/improvements on a county basis. Things really stay in the status quo on that here frustratingly often.

Consider:
Montreal
Berlin
Seattle
Guadalajara

Distinctive cities from around the world, similar regional pop. Size as here, but yet you can get out into open/natural spaces as BucFan describes fro any of them within 20 minutes. It’s because things grow and are prioritized VERY differently. Not a good or bad thing, necessarily, just worth noting. Hell, there are hypercities (20M+) where one can find vast open spaces more easily within an hour. Obviously mountains are usually the culprit, but still.

So as I’ve said, I don’t think people are innately against growth. Take a look at how cool/charming /not that hard to drive around urban Saint Pete is. But, urban sprawl, mismanaged, certainly becomes a problem.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:56 PM

79 posts, read 76,841 times
Default TPA adding more direct flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Tampa is extremely desirable to many for its climate, cost of living and the job market is improving. Tampa is already seeing a big spike in property values (yay for me!), new businesses and large companies deciding to move their headquarters to our region.

Personally I think the airport is overrated due to lack of nonstops and high fares.
TPA is actually getting better at adding more flights! And as far as fares, I have had GREAT luck with a website called scottscheapflights.com. You pay $5/monthly to get email updates on sales to destinations all over the world. I just got back from Scotland and paid only $520 round trip

The city definitely could improve infrastructure like storm drain system and roads...sigh...

Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
I like Tampa's airport better but will echo what other posters say here, generally I go to Orlando's Airport for better value and more presence of non stop flights. Just to show what I meant in my previous post...

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5328...7i13312!8i6656 (25 Minutes from Montreal Downtown)

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5886...7i13312!8i6656 (20 Minutes from Berlin Downtown)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...4d-103.3100039 (15 Minutes from Guadalajara Downtown).

Obviously, the last image is a bit of an unfair comparison, but perhaps shows how a western city has a bit of an advantage in that regard-no matter how big it gets, it will still have some pretty darn big open spaces near at hand, and will have to hem in development to a certain degree. This all of course, is hypothetical because TB will likely, at least not in my lifetime (and I'm only 26), redevelop itself to where it is as compact as any of these places are. With that said though, it would be nice to see steps to taken to reduce the rat race, and headaches that will ensue, if this metro hits 5M, 6M etc., and still nothing is done differently.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNativeGrl View Post
TPA is actually getting better at adding more flights! And as far as fares, I have had GREAT luck with a website called scottscheapflights.com. You pay $5/monthly to get email updates on sales to destinations all over the world. I just got back from Scotland and paid only $520 round trip

The city definitely could improve infrastructure like storm drain system and roads...sigh...

I get those emails and usually the deals are international and involve flying to New York or DC or some such. Rarely are the deals straight out of TPA.

Scotland? How about Texas?

I am currently trying to book Tampa-Austin for a weekend and can find nothing lower than $350 and that is NOT nonstop (it also does not even include an assigned seat or a checked bag!).

There are only one or two nonstops from TPA to Austin daily and both are at inconvenient times and via crappy airlines (Frontier, Southwest) that are more expensive than the legacy carriers.

If you can get to Scotland for $520, it shouldn't cost $350 to get to Austin. Thanks for nothing TPA!

Last edited by sinatras; 04-03-2018 at 08:40 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 08:45 AM

162 posts, read 329,608 times
Quote:
I don't want a big city. But I do want a decent place to get a bagel.
Admittedly, I didn't read this entire thread but this jumped out at me!

Is there decent bagels and pizza in Florida?

Old 04-03-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cjj View Post
Admittedly, I didn't read this entire thread but this jumped out at me!

Is there decent bagels and pizza in Florida?

In my opinion, no. But others have much lower standards than I and will disagree.

However, you can get great fried chicken, barbecue, seafood (if you hunt for it), Cuban/Latin food in Florida.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:25 AM

162 posts, read 329,608 times
Quote:
In my opinion, no. But others have much lower standards than I and will disagree.

However, you can get great fried chicken, barbecue, seafood (if you hunt for it), Cuban/Latin food in Florida.
I am from NJ where one of the few things we do right here is food! Bagels, pizza!

I'm surprised you have to hunt for good seafood in Florida? Isn't that odd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay